Roquan Smith - ILB #8 overall

bkokot

41 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

The Bears absolutely can’t let this drag into camp. Rapoport tweeted today that he won’t be at camp without a deal. Get it done, guys.

Its reporting day for rookies.  I expect we will hear an announcement later today.

On 7/16/2018 at 8:47 AM, beardown3231 said:

The Bears absolutely can’t let this drag into camp. Rapoport tweeted today that he won’t be at camp without a deal. Get it done, guys.

Assuming the holdup is about offset language or bonus payout structure (since those are really the only things it could be) then it’s moderately annoying it’s even at issue. If you picked the right guy then none of those things will matter anyway. 

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Assuming the holdup is about offset language or bonus payout structure (since those are really the only things it could be) then it’s moderately annoying it’s even at issue. If you picked the right guy then none of those things will matter anyway. 

Exactly. White has barely been on the field and was 7th overall. Regardless of how much it sucks for him to be out like this, his contract is barely a detriment to our cap. Get this crap done.

I had my doubts about this kid when he had his note pad stolen.  Now he is missing valuable practice time.  I don't like it when these rookies don't even know if they can play well in the NFL, and they hold out losing time.  Half this country is in poverty and this kid wants to be paid before showing he can do anything! 

Just frustrated!!!!!!!:S

Teams just need to start blacklisting players from that talent agency... Nearly every single holdout on the rookie deal was the same company, as well as the most (in)famous holdout last year. It's literally just that agency being the problem, and players stupid enough to sign with them.

I do t think he will be signed anytime soon. I expect he will miss multiple pre-season games.

If someone was going to blink it would have happened on the off day, it didn’t.

This is going to be pretty frustrating for us fans.

21 hours ago, Epyon said:

Teams just need to start blacklisting players from that talent agency... Nearly every single holdout on the rookie deal was the same company, as well as the most (in)famous holdout last year. It's literally just that agency being the problem, and players stupid enough to sign with them.

I agree, and have the balls to say that publicly. In every player's contract it should be noted that should they change agents they cannot sign with anyone affiliated with the agency.

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

I agree, and have the balls to say that publicly. In every player's contract it should be noted that should they change agents they cannot sign with anyone affiliated with the agency.

Might be fine if only one or two teams did so. If they all do it somebody might be able to dig up collusion and draw more lawyers into the mix.

When did he sign with the agency or more specifically, when did the teams know about who he had signed with? I'd assume before the draft so this is certainly straying into the same due diligence of knowing if a player has a bad knee, has a lurking assault charge, or in this case, a deal delaying agency. If he was/is far and away the best prospect at our slot then take him. If he was 1A and we had a 1B and 1C then I'd consider 1B or 1C. You're probably not only going to have to deal with these guys to sign his initial deal, but with his second contract and likely the early second contract as obviously his rookie deal will be insulting in two seasons.

In closing, ARRRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!!!!

3 minutes ago, 51to54 said:

Might be fine if only one or two teams did so. If they all do it somebody might be able to dig up collusion and draw more lawyers into the mix.

When did he sign with the agency or more specifically, when did the teams know about who he had signed with? I'd assume before the draft so this is certainly straying into the same due diligence of knowing if a player has a bad knee, has a lurking assault charge, or in this case, a deal delaying agency. If he was/is far and away the best prospect at our slot then take him. If he was 1A and we had a 1B and 1C then I'd consider 1B or 1C. You're probably not only going to have to deal with these guys to sign his initial deal, but with his second contract and likely the early second contract as obviously his rookie deal will be insulting in two seasons.

In closing, ARRRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!!!!

I'm fine with lawyers being thrown into the mix. Seeing that much blowback would not help them even if they won the case.  I'd wager half the teams lack the sack to do it anyway. Worst comes to worst they make their own Rooney Rule where you have to interview one of their and athletes. Fine. I'll waste one 15 minute meeting at the Combine and be done with their players. 

Having this B.S. happen on a rookie deal is laughable.  I'd refuse to waste time with them. 

3 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I'm fine with lawyers being thrown into the mix. Seeing that much blowback would not help them even if they won the case.  I'd wager half the teams lack the sack to do it anyway. Worst comes to worst they make their own Rooney Rule where you have to interview one of their and athletes. Fine. I'll waste one 15 minute meeting at the Combine and be done with their players. 

Having this B.S. happen on a rookie deal is laughable.  I'd refuse to waste time with them. 

Agreed. With the constraints on rookie deals per the CBA it's not like you can back the kid because the Bears are offering $200,000 while the picks above and below him are getting $5,000,000   It's almost like they are looking for scraps to make their name at the expense of the player. Not a QB. Not a top 2-3 pick. Don't get where he thinks he should come in with leverage. Even if he did not realize what he was getting into by picking this agency he can certainly see it now and has shown, in a Bears' fan opinion, bad judgement. Unless there is some oppressive contact clause the Bears are trying to hit him with, he's at best being penny wise and pound foolish. Want to put yourself in the best position for a great second contract? Bargain less, excel on the field more.

Archived