1st Round Pick (14th Overall): Traded to the Saints

CWood21

3 hours ago, cannondale said:

Control of the 3rd day doesn't excite me. (and that's a stretch - its just the first pick - it's not quite as strong as it used to be)

I want a 3rd rounder back - a trade back in the second is fine. A trade up into the mid 3rd is fine. I don't want 56 picks to go by without a choice

What's the difference between 4.101 and 3.100?

18 hours ago, cannondale said:

Control of the 3rd day doesn't excite me. (and that's a stretch - its just the first pick - it's not quite as strong as it used to be)

I want a 3rd rounder back - a trade back in the second is fine. A trade up into the mid 3rd is fine. I don't want 56 picks to go by without a choice

So, we got that 3rd back.  Are you feeling better about it?

I haven't processed it, yet.  I started drinking with my neighbors at about 5, and didn't pay very much attention.

Just now, DavidatMIZZOU said:

So, we got that 3rd back.  Are you feeling better about it?

I haven't processed it, yet.  I started drinking with my neighbors at about 5, and didn't pay very much attention.

I do feel better. Gotta say the 2nd and 3rd picks are a bit curious, so coming to terms with what Gute's overall plan is, but will gladly defer to him at the end of the day. Gotta give him the benefit if the doubt.  He managed to even out the picks and avoid a huge gap at the top of the draft, that's all I was asking for.

Just now, cannondale said:

I do feel better. Gotta say the 2nd and 3rd picks are a bit curious, so coming to terms with what Gute's overall plan is, but will gladly defer to him at the end of the day. Gotta give him the benefit if the doubt.  He managed to even out the picks and avoid a huge gap at the top of the draft, that's all I was asking for.

Right on.  I apologize if my first post sounded a bit condescending yesterday.  I was at work and trying to get out of there and it was the quickest way to pose the question.  

Now I have to learn about Burks, whom I don't know anything about.  I hated the idea of Jackson in the 1st, but I am not sure how I feel about him in the 2nd, I will have to look into that too.   

19 minutes ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

Right on.  I apologize if my first post sounded a bit condescending yesterday.  I was at work and trying to get out of there and it was the quickest way to pose the question.  

Now I have to learn about Burks, whom I don't know anything about.  I hated the idea of Jackson in the 1st, but I am not sure how I feel about him in the 2nd, I will have to look into that too.   

No worries. I don't recall anything harsh.  I'm sure I come off as a RichardHead more than intended. Curse of the medium. I try to have a short memory and hope others do as well. I rarely remember who I argue with

At the end of the day, you have to be impressed with Gute's ability to manipulate the market inefficiencies.  New Orleans without their 2nd round pick this year as a part of the Alvin Kamara trade had to use their '19 1st round pick on order to make any notable move up.  A move up utilizing just their 3rd round pick probably wouldn't get them very far, and probably out of range to land their guy, Marcus Davenport.  I'd venture a guess that the Packers could have squeezed a bit more value, but probably not getting their 3rd from them.

On the other side, Seattle who was without their 2nd and 3rd round picks as part of the Sheldon Richardson and Duane Brown trades.  Seattle desperately needed to trade down, and the Packers got pennies on the dollar for their trade back up.

34 minutes ago, EirePacker said:

Whats the realistic range this pick falls in next year 22 -26ish ?

Thats as good a guess as any at this point.

NOLA's got a good team and I dont see them falling off terribly unless Brees goes down - in which case, we'll have the interesting chore of rooting against Taysom Hill - the former GBP. Just took a look at their draft (https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/teams?team=NO) and outside of Davenport - I dont recognize anybody. So no clue how that fits to their roster needs.

Record-wise: 2013: 11+5 /// 2014 thru 2016: 7+9 /// 2017: 11+5

So are they due to jump back into the middle of the crowd (?) or did that run of lousy seasons allow them to bulk up with higher draft picks that'll keep em with double-digit wins? Good guess - but I think they'll be tough. Unfortunate for them, the NFC South is about as competitive a division as there is in football and they beat up on each other pretty good - with the only team thats NOT made a run at winning the division being Tampa Bay. The other three teams seem to take turns at the top.

19 minutes ago, EirePacker said:

Whats the realistic range this pick falls in next year 22 -26ish ?

Right now?  Somewhere between 1 and 32. 

They've got two easy games to start their season.  Then it gets tough.  Real tough.  8 of their final 14 games are against playoff teams.  The ones that aren't against playoff teams are the Buccaneers, Ravens, Giants, Redskins, Bengals and Cowboys. 

If they don't make the playoffs, we get a top 20 pick.  They've got two teams to compete for a playoff spot with in their own division. 

Archived