Vikings select...Mike Hughes, CB, UCF

SemperFeist

The receiver got his full hand on the ball, not just his finger tip. The fact that the ball fell straight down towards his feet should tell you that  

2re4fhw.jpg

Letting the receiver gain inside position on him is not controlling the route. 

The reciever actually had a good chance at getting the ball, hence him actually getting a hand on it, not Hughes.

Hughes tracked the ball very well, unfortunately he also lost track of his receiver.  

n4gjv5.jpg

He’s in perfect position at this point  

zwni2r.jpg

And in roughly 5 yards he gives up the inside position, and gives the receiver a shot at the score. 

It was sticky coverage until roughly the 3 yard line when Hughes broke off to let the ball come to him, instead of high pointing the ball. This allowed the receiver to cut underneath him and make a play on the football. So, at the end of the play, no, it wasn’t good coverage. 

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

It was sticky coverage until roughly the 3 yard line when Hughes broke off to let the ball come to him, instead of high pointing the ball. This allowed the receiver to cut underneath him and make a play on the football. So, at the end of the play, no, it wasn’t good coverage. 

Fair enough. I didn't think the WR got as much of the ball as that screenshot shows he did. 

Not sure Hughes misjudged the flight of the ball so much as tried to make a comfortable catch in stride instead of boxing the receiver out. He had a couple of similar over-the-shoulder or breadbasket interceptions in college. Lynch's pass had a flat trajectory and was placed too far inside (as the Broncos announcers were saying in the broadcast) -- ironically a better throw arcing toward the back pylon would've been easier for Hughes to pick given his positioning at the goal line. In any case, after the misadventures of Waynes in his rookie preseason (especially the Hall of Fame game vs the Steelers) and Alexander getting embarrassed by Doug Baldwin in preseason last year...

...the fact that it takes split-second by split-second Zapruder style film analysis to show the flaws in Hughes' debut is a very good sign.

i obviously want hughes to be a player but i've been trying to temper my expectations so far. i think i'm starting to buy the hype though. if he has even half the rookie season that marshon lattimore had then our secondary is going to be straight up scary. 

can't wait to see more tape of him the next couple preseason games.

Zimmer coached Terence Newman in his rookie season and worked with Deion Sanders in Dallas. Defensive coordinator George Edwards worked with a young Champ Bailey with the Washington Redskins and defensive backs coach Jerry Gray held the same position with the Seattle Seahawks in 2010 when they brought in then-rookies and future Pro Bowlers Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor. The trio has also helped groom Xavier Rhodes, now viewed as the NFL’s top corner.

Suddenly, they found themselves comparing the preseason work of Hughes, their 21-year-old first-round pick, to some of the others they’ve coached.

“We were talking about some of our other corners and how their first game out was a little bit different compared to his,” Zimmer said of Hughes. “I thought he played really well.”

https://theathletic.com/474613/2018/08/15/mike-hughes-vikings-draft-pick-cornerback-first-team-xavier-rhodes-mike-zimmer/

1 hour ago, Klomp said:

Zimmer coached Terence Newman in his rookie season and worked with Deion Sanders in Dallas. Defensive coordinator George Edwards worked with a young Champ Bailey with the Washington Redskins and defensive backs coach Jerry Gray held the same position with the Seattle Seahawks in 2010 when they brought in then-rookies and future Pro Bowlers Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor. The trio has also helped groom Xavier Rhodes, now viewed as the NFL’s top corner.

Suddenly, they found themselves comparing the preseason work of Hughes, their 21-year-old first-round pick, to some of the others they’ve coached.

“We were talking about some of our other corners and how their first game out was a little bit different compared to his,” Zimmer said of Hughes. “I thought he played really well.”

https://theathletic.com/474613/2018/08/15/mike-hughes-vikings-draft-pick-cornerback-first-team-xavier-rhodes-mike-zimmer/

good gawd, do we have a winner here or what....

Archived