49ers Trent Brown traded to Patriots

49erurtaza

6 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Patriots get the best pass blocking right tackle in the league, he's just awful at run blocking.

No he's not. He's average at best in run blocking.

Pats just got a good one. He's outstanding in pass protection.

2 minutes ago, jfinley88 said:

Why'd they trade a 25 y/o stud tackle? I've never heard of him. But what's his problem? 

We just drafted Mike McG at 9 to play right tackle. Trent is coming off a shoulder surgery and rumor has it he's over weight right now.

7 minutes ago, jfinley88 said:

Why'd they trade a 25 y/o stud tackle? I've never heard of him. But what's his problem? 

He's never been loved by the FO here. Baalke pick. Stud pass protector, but he has significant deficiencies in the run game which drive Kyle nuts. I don't think that there was ever any real intent to re-sign him, so draft McGlinchey and at least get somethign for him (given how much cap space we have, it's reasonable to assume that we will be active in FA again next year, so comp pick won't apply). He has some conditioning and weight concerns (always been a big boy). But this is a good get for New England. 

1 minute ago, NVRamsFan said:

So he's great, he's just coming off an injury, over weight and on the last year of his contract? 

He's a great pass protecting tackle, yes. The over weight thing depends - He's definitely a big dude (330-340's), and some teams are probably going to be okay  with that, but not so much a team like the 49ers that runs a scheme predicated on movement lol. He's on the last year of his deal, but this could work for the Pats in a way it doesn't for us. A comp pick was never going to be in the offing for us after losing him in FA...if the Pats are going to be frugal, they could get a decent comp pick for him. That contract is a 7th round rookie deal though, so he's cheap this year at the very least. 

Archived