Chargers to cut Gates

49erurtaza

Assuming he wasn't asking for more money than he was making in recent years, why not bring him back? He's been the face of the franchise for so long and has still managed to be relatively productive as a red zone threat in his late age. Don't understand this move unless Gates wanted a long term contract or significantly more money (which doesn't seem like something he'd do).

6 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Assuming he wasn't asking for more money than he was making in recent years, why not bring him back? He's been the face of the franchise for so long and has still managed to be relatively productive as a red zone threat in his late age. Don't understand this move unless Gates wanted a long term contract or significantly more money (which doesn't seem like something he'd do).

Because they were giving him targets and snaps that Hunter Henry would benefit from.  Henry shouldn’t be taking any less targets or snaps because of 2017-version Gates.  And the Chargers benefit from using him more instead of Gates.    

He is a free agent, so this isn't really cut. 

I love Gates, but the Chargers need to move on to the Henry era. On top of that, I don't see them playing as much 12 personnel with Mike Williams back, so it makes Gates kind of expandable. 

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Because they were giving him targets and snaps that Hunter Henry would benefit from.  Henry shouldn’t be taking any less targets or snaps because of 2017-version Gates.  And the Chargers benefit from using him more instead of Gates.    

Right, but wasn't Henry still dominating the target share for most of last year anyways? I thought last year Gates had "officially" stepped aside into the secondary tight end role. It's not like the Chargers operated out of strictly 1 TE sets, so I don't get the logic of passing up on Gates as your second tight end.

8 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Right, but wasn't Henry still dominating the target share for most of last year anyways? I thought last year Gates had "officially" stepped aside into the secondary tight end role. It's not like the Chargers operated out of strictly 1 TE sets, so I don't get the logic of passing up on Gates as your second tight end.

Gates got 47 percent of the snaps.   Henry got 56 percent.  Henry got 62 targets.   Gates got 30.  

Gates needs to go.    Henry should be getting 100+ targets and let another backup get 20.    Henry should get 75-80 percent of the snaps.    But none of that happens with Gates there.   Why a clean cut is best. 

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

Gates got 47 percent of the snaps.   Henry got 56.   Gates needs to go.  

Bit skewed though b/c Hunter missed 2 games and didn't start in a third. But I get the point you're trying to make. However, do the Chargers actually have a viable secondary option behind Henry without Gates?

Decisions like this is why the Chargers will continue to wallow with a weak fanbase. How can you decide to just cast aside one of the franchise's all time players without at least giving him a chance to finish his career out with your organization?

Their owners are a joke and I cannot imagine the frustration one must experience while rooting for them.

12 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Bit skewed though b/c Hunter missed 2 games and didn't start in a third. But I get the point you're trying to make. However, do the Chargers actually have a viable secondary option behind Henry without Gates?

They signed Virgil Green and have McGrath.   Who do pretty much everything Gates can do (because all he has left are 7-8 yard posts and curls).   And they block. 

EDIT:  I stand corrected Gates got 52 targets.   Even worse.   

Archived