2nd Round Pick (45th Overall): Josh Jackson [CB; Iowa]

CWood21

3 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

I think he'd be a pretty big liability in the run game. He doesn't have much proficiency at getting off blocks, and I think he'd get killed in the screen game when he's trying to fight off OL instead or WR's. Surefire pass down I bet you could play him at S but I think he's better when he doesn't have to worry about getting beaten over the top. So I'd cover him up on those downs and let him hunt underneath. 

To be clear, I would use him either as a 3rd safety to play the slot/a split out TE or a FS to cover deep.  Kind of like Micah Hyde who filled multiple roles.  I think his instincts deep at FS would be excellent and I like his size against a TE or bigger slot WR.

I do see your point though, and don't disagree that his best value to us may be as a swiss army knife kind of player.  

2 hours ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Do you really think he's going to admit passing on guys rated higher and reaching for a player in a lower tier? If a GM admits to such it will be the first time.

I came out of retirement just basically because I need to comment that this is the most ridiculous statement I have ever seen on this board, and that is saying something.  So Gute is actively trying to get lesser rated players?  This is some of the most negative tripe a person could conjure, and I've been following horizontozenith's posts for the past couple months.  

I would love for you to quantify the amount of success James and Edmunds will have over Alexander.  How many championships, how many pro bowls, how many end of the year honors?  Just because it is more likely than not that a pick will bust, doesn't mean that the player busts hours after one is drafted.   It's one thing to have an opinion, you just haven't backed yours with anything.

2 hours ago, Cpdaly23 said:

Exactly.  What this guy doesn’t get is that the packers had Alexander ranked in the same tier, and maybe even higher than his beloved Edmounds and James.  This is why I hate all the mock drafts in January, February and March... they reinforce an ranking of players in fans minds that causes some to freak when their team (who actually did the scouting work) goes off the exact rankings.

Rankings are OPINIONS, not facts.

That reminds of when the Colts GM was criticized by Mel Kiper for not taking Trent Dilfer. The Colts GM said, "Who in the hell is Mel Kiper anyway". Everybody thinks they are an expert. In the end you never really know until about 3 years after a pick. Some guys pan out some guys bust.

2 hours ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Do you really think he's going to admit passing on guys rated higher and reaching for a player in a lower tier? If a GM admits to such it will be the first time.

But then why trade up right after that higher tier just got drafted (James). If he didn't think Alexander was in that same tier why not trade up with someone 3-5 picks after and draft someone in the same teir you think Alexander was in? Idk,  just wouldn't make sense to me if he didn't think James and Alexander were in the same teir to trade up there. 

The Packers addressed a clear need in the first two rounds and did not have to reach to do so. I don't think you can complain about that. Going into the process most had Jackson rated the #1 CB. A terrible combine drove him down. Maybe the kid is just a football player and we got us a steal. 

I'm a guy who believes in the pass rush first in today's NFL. I hope Pettine has a plan to get that done. Maybe the Packers think more of Fackrell, Biegel and Gilbert's abilities than I do. I hope they are correct because you can't count on just Perry and Matthews for 16 games. 

First of all....let me get this out of the way: Mr Anon wants to preach about the failure rate of picks while speaking of the need to sign FAs?? How many FAs don't make it past the first 2 years of their contracts again?? (Andrew Brandt had a tweet about it some time ago...the number, is HIGH)

2: Packers get (I think it was Mayocks board) 2 of the top 4 CBs in the draft? NICE.

C: Packers get 2 CBs that actually PLAYED CB and not some guy that played bball and another that was a safety they thought might be able to play CB. NICE!

4. Jackson was the BPA when he was picked. I was actually going to pose the question about picking him in the thread about Day 2 and thought it would never happen, so never posted. Hoping that some better coverage leads to some coverage SACKS. NICE

12 hours ago, Green19 said:

Remember everyone had this draft as pitiful at edge rusher. So why reach for a NEED. Everyone said this is a crazy deep CB class.

Take 2... fix a need once and for all.

We all thought Ted fixed the secondary in 2015 so I hope Gutey finally has yesterday!

12 hours ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Go (blank) yourself, that's bs. Just because I have a different opinion than you. Believing every draft pick is a good one each year is the video game mentality. I live in the reality that when you reach for need, it usually bites you in the ***.

If you're going to address other posters here in this fashion perhaps it is best you are anonymous...

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

We all thought Ted fixed the secondary in 2015 so I hope Gutey finally has yesterday!

Difference... one was a safety playing CB and the other was a point guard playing CB.

I liked the Randall pick, but he was miscast. If we still had Capers I wouldnt be nearly as excited. Pettine wants/ need guys that can cover to run his scheme. We have 3 legit prospects now. Plus I’ve been banging the table for Jackson all draft season. So I’m excited Jackson is on this team with this DC.

Way I look at it we kinda just drafted Revis (Alexander) and Croe (Jackson/ could be king too). Not saying they will be THEM but body size and skill sets... it’s kind of funny.

11 minutes ago, Pugger said:

The 2014 secondary was not bad and did not need much fixing.

At CB we had Tramon, Shields, Hayward, and House.

The then GM chose to move on from both Tramon AND House after the 2014 season (at least 1 of them could have been resigned,) and by taking CBs in rounds 1 & 2, signified that Hayward would not be resigned after the 2015 season.

The GM then selected a free safety in round 1 and tried to turn him into a CB, and Cleveland has already moved Randall back to safety, and a basketball player with just 1 year of Mid-American conference experience at CB and mediocre measurables in round 2.

Gut's round 1-2 picks may not pan out, but he had no choice but to try and clean up the mess at CB he was left with.

8 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Difference... one was a safety playing CB and the other was a point guard playing CB.

I liked the Randall pick, but he was miscast. If we still had Capers I would be nearly as excited. Pettine wants/ need guys that can cover to run his scheme. We have 3 legit propects now. Plus I’ve been banging the table for Jackson all draft season. So I’m excited Jackson is on this team with this DC.

Way I look at it we kinda just drafted Revis (Alexander) and Croe (Jackson/ could be king too). Not saying they will be THEM but body size and skill sets... it’s kind of funny.

Thanks for saying clearer what I was trying to.  :)

42 minutes ago, Pugger said:

We all thought Ted fixed the secondary in 2015 ...

GREEN BAY – Three years ago, determined to build the foundation of their pass coverage, the Green Bay Packers channeled their most valuable resources into drafting cornerbacks.

In the first round of the 2015 draft, former general manager Ted Thompson selected an athletic, undersized safety to be the Packers' slot corner. Almost 24 hours later, the Packers doubled down and drafted a ball-hawking corner with limited college experience. Together, Damarious Randall and Quinten Rollins were the future, expected to lead the Packers secondary for years to come.

It instead was a spectacular failure.

Their inability to develop into what they were drafted to be – the future of the Packers' secondary – forced successor Brian Gutekunst to rebuild in his first draft as general manager.

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/04/27/packers-load-up-cornerback-select-iowas-josh-jackson/559009002/

Let's hope Packer beat writers are not referring to Gut's first 2 picks as SPECTACULAR FAILURES in 3 years.

9 hours ago, seanjoneslocker said:

I came out of retirement just basically because I need to comment that this is the most ridiculous statement I have ever seen on this board, and that is saying something.  So Gute is actively trying to get lesser rated players?  This is some of the most negative tripe a person could conjure, and I've been following horizontozenith's posts for the past couple months.  

I would love for you to quantify the amount of success James and Edmunds will have over Alexander.  How many championships, how many pro bowls, how many end of the year honors?  Just because it is more likely than not that a pick will bust, doesn't mean that the player busts hours after one is drafted.   It's one thing to have an opinion, you just haven't backed yours with anything.

People need to stop thinking of rankings in a numerical method and more in tiers.  Burks was probably one of a slew of guys left in that tier.  He was their preferred guy.

Archived