2nd Round Pick (45th Overall): Josh Jackson [CB; Iowa]

CWood21

2 hours ago, Golfman said:

The Packers addressed a clear need in the first two rounds and did not have to reach to do so. I don't think you can complain about that. Going into the process most had Jackson rated the #1 CB. A terrible combine drove him down. Maybe the kid is just a football player and we got us a steal. 

I'm a guy who believes in the pass rush first in today's NFL. I hope Pettine has a plan to get that done. Maybe the Packers think more of Fackrell, Biegel and Gilbert's abilities than I do. I hope they are correct because you can't count on just Perry and Matthews for 16 games. 

He didn’t have a terrible combine. He had an average 40.

12 hours ago, Mr Anonymous said:

The fact we struck out in free agency in acquiring some of our higher rated targets at CB added to the fact that in my opinion as well as that of many others publicized in many places, there were better players available who didn't happen to play CB and thus weren't as convenient to select.

Gute targeted Alexander all along.  So yes he did draft for need in the 1st round.  He also traded back and added a 1st and 5th and still got his man.  No reach there he extracted value from 14 and then some. As for Jackson that was a clear case of BPA.  Personally in time think Jackson is going to be the better player.  Unless an injury strikes either of these two cats think both will make fine CB's.  Understand your frustration with the positions that were taken.  With all the picks devoted to CB it should have been solved by now.  It wasn't.  It is now.  Neither of these guys are going to bust.  They are both studs.  This is not Randall and Rollins 2.0. I share your concern with not addressing other positions.  Well?  Think we all feel that way.  CB has been put to bed for awhile now.  My complaint with you is bagging on these guys without any explanation as to why.  What don't you like about either player?  Did you watch any tape on these guys?  Alexander was probably the best CB in the draft and if not on par with Ward.  He is Shields 2.0.  Jackson is just a flat out stud.  King, Alexander, and Jackson.  Think the bases are finally covered.

1 minute ago, Scoremore said:

Gute targeted Alexander all along.  So yes he did draft for need in the 1st round.  He also traded back and added a 1st and 5th and still got his man.  No reach there he extracted value from 14 and then some. As for Jackson that was a clear case of BPA.  Personally in time think Jackson is going to be the better player.  Unless an injury strikes either of these two cats think both will make fine CB's.  Understand your frustration with the positions that were taken.  With all the picks devoted to CB it should have been solved by now.  It wasn't.  It is now.  Neither of these guys are going to bust.  They are both studs.  This is not Randall and Rollins 2.0. I share your concern with not addressing other positions.  Well?  Think we all feel that way.  CB has been put to bed for awhile now.  My complaint with you is bagging on these guys without any explanation as to why.  What don't you like about either player?  Did you watch any tape on these guys?  Alexander was probably the best CB in the draft and if not on par with Ward.  He is Shields 2.0.  Jackson is just a flat out stud.  King, Alexander, and Jackson.  Think the bases are finally covered.

Perhaps because of missing on Randall and Rollins we have this fear in the back of our minds of history repeating itself.  But as someone said elsewhere we didn't take a safety and then move him to corner and we didn't take a basketball player who was as green as grass with very next pick in 2015.

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

We all thought Ted fixed the secondary in 2015 so I hope Gutey finally has yesterday!

I don't know we actually thought that at the time though. I wasn't on this site but I remember a lot of people elsewhere wondering who the heck Randall and Rollins even were. 

At least we got some big names this time. I think it'll work out. 

34 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Don't typically point out typos because they happen to everyone, but I read this one out loud in my head and I couldn't stop laughing at how funny it sounded. 

? it’s what I get for doing this on my phone. It auto corrects to weird things and when I think I hit a letter it doesn’t register.

Glad to provide a laugh though.

Iowa fan here.  I was a bit skeptical about Jackson at 14 due to his backpedal (that is brutal right now) but man, the kid can ball.  At 45?  Please.  Iowa boys dont train for the 40, FWIW, because it causes so much stress on the hamstrings.  They only time 10 yard splits.  I never once questioned his play speed.  He's so good at stacking receivers on the sideline and playing the ball that he's a huge threat to go deep against.

Who else would have made sense there?  People are talking about King like he's an established vet and a sure thing.  He showed some real promise, but so did both Randall and Rollins in their first year.  

I get the anxiety over edge help.  But after Key was gone in the 3rd, who would have helped improve that pass rush this year?  Jackson was a huge value at 45 and Biegel/Gilbert were likely viewed as better than most of the guys drafted on day 3.  I don't have a problem with that.  

2 hours ago, Cheech said:

Iowa fan here.  I was a bit skeptical about Jackson at 14 due to his backpedal (that is brutal right now) but man, the kid can ball.  At 45?  Please.  Iowa boys dont train for the 40, FWIW, because it causes so much stress on the hamstrings.  They only time 10 yard splits.  I never once questioned his play speed.  He's so good at stacking receivers on the sideline and playing the ball that he's a huge threat to go deep against.

Who else would have made sense there?  People are talking about King like he's an established vet and a sure thing.  He showed some real promise, but so did both Randall and Rollins in their first year.  

I get the anxiety over edge help.  But after Key was gone in the 3rd, who would have helped improve that pass rush this year?  Jackson was a huge value at 45 and Biegel/Gilbert were likely viewed as better than most of the guys drafted on day 3.  I don't have a problem with that.  

I just feel in general Iowa (along with Wisconsin...and no I'm not a "fan" of either) is one of those schools that just puts out guys who know how to make it work at the next level. Just look at the Packers' recent history with that school: Micah Hyde, Mike Daniels, Brian Bulaga, Aaron Kampman were all hits. Abdul Hodge is probably the only one you'd count as a miss (I"m not counting Ross Verba...was too young). Makes me all the more optimistic about the pick

On 4/28/2018 at 10:36 AM, ArthurPensky said:

He didn’t have a terrible combine. He had an average 40.

Not so sure about that, some of the footwork in the drills didn't look great either. 

2 hours ago, Cheech said:

Trading up for Sweat in the 4th would have made this draft and A+ for me.

On 4/28/2018 at 8:42 AM, Scoremore said:

You may be right on both guys. Heck, I want you to be right. Nevertheless, I'm hesitant to crown either of them just yet. I don't think either are free of any question marks whatsoever. I'm excited to see Fitzgerald in the slot. He is adept at press man coverage. However, while he's not a twig, I do wonder about his durability. Hope he holds up. As for Jackson, the one question mark I have on him is that he succeeded in a zone coverage type of scheme, not the press man that he will be asked to play, presumably as a boundary guy (I don't see him doing well in the slot, but I could be wrong). The Packers scout said he can play press man no problem, though we haven't seen him do it yet. I guess all I'm saying is that while I hope you're right, for myself I'd like to see how both do for a season before I'm ready to crown either of them as having 'solved' things in the secondary. 

On 4/28/2018 at 10:42 AM, Scoremore said:

He is Shields 2.0.

Shields was a little less than an inch taller, had longer arms, and his vert was 4 inches higher. Shields was also a pure boundary guy, while Alexander will make his money in the slot (see: vertical)

Archived