Eagles select DE Josh Sweat 4th Round 130 Overall

Kiltman

4 minutes ago, Remixxxxxxx said:

I thought that was "debunked" by both sides and what about Oliver (and possible Williams)? Once again, BPA is something the fans want to believe as an indisputable way to say we picked the right player. 

So then how is Guice the right pick while Goedert isn't?

3 minutes ago, Danger said:

So then how is Guice the right pick while Goedert isn't?

Because apparently the 4th RB on our depth chart is more important then say the #2 TE? I mean it not 32 different Organizations passed on Guice (Twice) or anything. There were reasons teams didn't want Guice, including Washington until the 3rd. That shouldn't be ignored!

Just now, Nabbs4u said:

Because apparently the 4th RB on our depth chart is more important then say the #2 TE? I mean it not 32 different Organizations passed on Guice (Twice) or anything. There were reasons teams didn't want Guice, including Washington until the 3rd. That shouldn't be ignored!

My guess is 

1. TE isn't as sexy of a pick as a RB
2. Because Sproles and Ajayi are likely gone next season.

But RB is pretty replaceable in the modern NFL and good ones can commonly be found in later rounds. 

49 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

So your saying that Goedert was more of a need then a RB? That would differ from the strictly taking BPA comments that I was replying to. If you think Goedert filled a need and you find TE2 to be an important postion to fill, that's fine. It's the people are saying "You wanted BPA, we took BPA" - but according to who or what? That's a lame *** argument that holds no value or merit.

What or who defines BPA? Saying we took the BPA is basically saying we picked the right player based on absolutely nothing and that's the only way the pick can be justified. 

I think with RB, the Eagles really like Corey Clement

He was pretty spectacular in his limited time last year.
I wonder if they wanted to see if he'd continue that output with increased time as the #2 before sinking big (and this year, limited) resources into a RB that really wouldn't get a big chance this year.

I also wonder Jay Ajayi's mindset, surely he knows he doesn't have long in this league with his knees, does he just decide to stay here on a manageable deal and prolong his career in a system that rotates like ours? And if so have his people and the eagles already been talking about extension?

All the top backs in this draft were gone besides Guice, who they did more homework on than any other prospect it seems.
It is a little telling that they passed on him after all that.

The verbal altercation seems to not be true, but I mean he did lie about being asked about being gay or if his mom was a prostitute. 
Which that would make me question heavily if I want a guy like that on my team..like what's the point of that lie? 
And there are the reports of him being late a bunch too....just doesnt seem accountable for his actions.
He's still young and we've seen guys get it together when money is on the line. But i can't really say I'm mad at the eagles for passing on that if they found it to be true.
Especially if it's for big tall athletic hard working receiving option for Carson, plus whatever value we get from the 2nd wen it comes to guys we missed out on after #32

3 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

Ok, since this is rambling down this path...

I never said there was a huge need anywhere. Obviously, that's not what we're debating. 

T- Peters could be done for all we know. At best, he's got one year left. Yes, V looked decent last year. But is a 5th round pick good enough to consider protecting your franchise QB. So, saying we have 3 good ones is short sighted and wishful thinking. 

G- Wiz is 30 and going into a contract year. We could def use some new blood here. Isaac looked absolutely lost last year. 

C- There are three guys who can play a position. Great. I can put a stack of books at C if Kelce goes down. That doesn't mean it'll be any good. Drafting a 2nd round pick usually projects as a starter. You need to be able to look at your roster and predict to cut some salary some places. Kelce will be older and up for a contract soon. You want to pay a C that much at the expense of eating up valueable cap space. Especially considering Carson will be getting paid soon. 

HB- Agreed you could get a HB anytime basically. But getting one now would mean the end of Ajayi, which we all know is coming anyway. I'd rather had taken one now and seeing what I had then drafting and hoping he works out next year. Guice, anyone? 

S- Older and soon to be cut. That's our situation as S. We need to be younger and cheaper there as well. A younger guy makes the most sense here. 

LB- We have one starter you can rely on. We have the new Sean Lee on our roster at MIKE. We could use one. Don't pretend otherwise. 

DE- We have one young DE we can pencil in as a starter after this year. We're going to need to have one ready in 2020. 

All of these are needs more than 2nd TE who presumably won't be asked to block much. I like the kid. But it wasn't the least thing we needed. Burton was our 2nd best pass catching TE and he played 26% of snaps. Maybe his kid plays 35%? Great. But he's not going to come close to starting in the next three years when all those other positions are potentially needing a starter, let alone a backup. This is pretty elementary, wouldn't you think? 

It's a shame that they don't hold the draft every year where they can fill these holes.......when they actually become holes 

TE was maybe our biggest need heading into the draft available IMO. Burton and Celek both gone and like its been said, Ertz seems to always miss a few games. Having him, Rodgers, and some UDFA/5th-6th round TE heading into week 1 at TE would be bad. Very bad. We used 2 TE sets more than every other team besides Baltimore and KC last year.  

And Howie is spot on when he always mentions the RZ and how Goedert could make an immediate impact in that regard here. Thats big. 

I think that we were at 52, and the FO saw that Goedert was falling and probably originally had him as a guy who would be gone pick 40 or so, so we jumped two teams who desparately needed a TE for him. It was never the plan to trade down and go TE, IMO. 

2 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

It's a shame that they don't hold the draft every year where they can fill these holes.......when they actually become holes 

Right. So let's just take it completely out of context.  

Lets refresh the point; I like the Goedert pick. I think it'll be a tough weapon to defend against pairing him with Ertz. I made it clear that we have very little "holes" in the roster. But in order of importance, for the future and all, backup TE would not be high on the list. In fact, very low. Rodgers as the FA and a late round pick would have sufficed. I would have liked to invest my first pick in a more important position. Ideally, one that will become a problem in the next year or two, as the ones mentioned. Sorta like Lito and Sheldon.  If we didn't draft Goedert, the TE position still wouldn't have suffered. It's already good enough with Ertz, who's still young and producing at a pro bowl level and will be for years to come.

The point is, is that it was the utmost of luxury. It's the damn definition of luxury. Instead of taking a guy that could potentially take over a position we would either a. need to fill due to health or age of the incumbent or b. need a young and up and comer to fill a position because of salary cap concerns we drafted and invested a big asset into a position where we are already rich and getting big returns in.

It's like putting in a hot tub jacuzzi in your master suite while your hot water heater is about to go. Simple economics. 

5 hours ago, Remixxxxxxx said:

What or who defines BPA? Saying we took the BPA is basically saying we picked the right player based on absolutely nothing and that's the only way the pick can be justified. 

Howie, Joe and this Coaching Staff. People who apparently valued Goedert over Guice. Saw TE as more of a need with similarly graded BPA over RB. 

You view RB as a Need when in fact they have 5 already on the roster this staff is comfortable with. I'm not saying Guice can't or wouldn't be an instant upgrade over every RB not named Ajayi, Clement and Sproles but it's not a need right now. In 2018.

So why use your 1st pick on a position you don't need to fill? It would be like them using said draft pick on a QB? A RG? A DT?

BPA is used but it is also in context with need. If you don't need a position filled said BPA players fall off your board. Derwin James was a top 10 talent but the major of the teams picking before the Chargers didn't need a Safety or viewed other players similarly graded more important. Happens. Obviously happened in this case too.

7 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Howie, Joe and this Coaching Staff. People who apparently valued Goedert over Guice. Saw TE as more of a need with similarly graded BPA over RB. 

You view RB as a Need when in fact they have 5 already on the roster this staff is comfortable with. I'm not saying Guice can't or wouldn't be an instant upgrade over every RB not named Ajayi, Clement and Sproles but it's not a need right now. In 2018.

So why use your 1st pick on a position you don't need to fill? It would be like them using said draft pick on a QB? A RG? A DT?

BPA is used but it is also in context with need. If you don't need a position filled said BPA players fall off your board. Derwin James was a top 10 talent but the major of the teams picking before the Chargers didn't need a Safety or viewed other players similarly graded more important. Happens. Obviously happened in this case too.

Because now is the only time you can fill the needs before the 2019 season.....duh B|

1 minute ago, Danger said:

Further proof that Andy Reid was a chump.

When we drafted him everything they said suggested they believed him to be BPA. Right? They were saying how he was day-1 NFL ready. The scouting really failed back in those days. 

Archived