Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
NickButera

Rd. 5- DT Maurice Hurst

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, NJ Raider said:

I think (well hope) that some of these teams were hoping to get him later, or planning to bring him in as a ufa. Kind of weird that he fell this far though. Star did not fall this far and apparently it’s a similar issue. Part of me wonders if since the nfl has a rough image due to cte, that teams are even more apprehensive about having a guy with these kinds of issues. (Apparently guice fell more due to speculation fwiw.) He was also rechecked and cleared, so who knows?

I hope for his sake, and for ours, that he is able to have a healthy career and life. Even if we are able to use him as a situational pass rusher, it would be a huge win. Definitely one of my favorite players in this draft and I am stoked to have him. Hoping for the best!

It’s not like Star, He had a viral infection which resulted in a false positive at the combine.

Nick Fairley I think is a better comp.  Fairley was able to play 6 years but then the Saints doctors saw something last year, sat him out the entire year, and now it’s unlikely he’ll play again.  Seems like a year to year thing but if we can get 6 years out of Hurst it’s more than worth a 5th.

Edited by Chwf3rd25

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good stuff!

Hopefully the kid can stay healthy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, BABYLON 5 said:

 

Hall is suppose to be 20 lbs heavier than Hurst.  Looks like Hurst is bigger side by side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2018 at 2:57 PM, drfrey13 said:

Hall is suppose to be 20 lbs heavier than Hurst.  Looks like Hurst is bigger side by side.

Hall's shirt is tucked while Hurst's is not. Plus, Hall carries a lot of weight in his 700 lbs. squatting legs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Hall's shirt is tucked while Hurst's is not. Plus, Hall carries a lot of weight in his 700 lbs. squatting legs.

Both shirts are untucked but when I look at the size of the legs it is obvious that is the difference.  Hall's athleticism is unreal and hearing Hurst being compared to Seymour makes me very happy.  Our team was horrible then but I use to love watching him play.  He was so quick off the ball and got such an amazing push up the middle.  Just hope the Hurst is truly healthy first and a good player second.  I have no clue how well Hall will transition but the mans physical talent is beyond anything I have ever seen.  I would imagine that a 4.71 forty is the fastest ever for a player over 300 lbs.  It is the same time as Anquan Boldin and Jerry Rice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Both shirts are untucked but when I look at the size of the legs it is obvious that is the difference.  Hall's athleticism is unreal and hearing Hurst being compared to Seymour makes me very happy.  Our team was horrible then but I use to love watching him play.  He was so quick off the ball and got such an amazing push up the middle.  Just hope the Hurst is truly healthy first and a good player second.  I have no clue how well Hall will transition but the mans physical talent is beyond anything I have ever seen.  I would imagine that a 4.71 forty is the fastest ever for a player over 300 lbs.  It is the same time as Anquan Boldin and Jerry Rice.

FYI, the video was made by a Raider fan.  So it would be like you or I comparing Hurst to Seymour, which if fine, but doesn’t make it so.  He doesn’t have the length or the heighth of Seymour.  His burst and get off is similar though.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, daineraider said:

FYI, the video was made by a Raider fan.  So it would be like you or I comparing Hurst to Seymour, which if fine, but doesn’t make it so.  He doesn’t have the length or the heighth of Seymour.  His burst and get off is similar though.  

I know but it was the thought of having a player with his traits back on the line.  Do I think he is going to dominate the same way?  Most likely not but we have not had a talented 3T for a while.  I will take burst and get off over length and height every time.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2018 at 12:37 PM, Silver&Black88 said:

PJ Hall?

Haha you know Hurst is my guy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, raidr4life said:

Haha you know Hurst is my guy!

I don't recall you ever saying that

 

loljk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/28/2018 at 2:26 PM, G said:

Was 1st rounder until sent home from combine because of heart condition. STEAL if he's able to play and have a long career. 

 

Later picks are for situations like this, injured players and ST players.

If we got 4-5 years of high level play id be excited. steal pick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 7:58 PM, NJ Raider said:

I think (well hope) that some of these teams were hoping to get him later, or planning to bring him in as a ufa. Kind of weird that he fell this far though. Star did not fall this far and apparently it’s a similar issue. Part of me wonders if since the nfl has a rough image due to cte, that teams are even more apprehensive about having a guy with these kinds of issues. (Apparently guice fell more due to speculation fwiw.) He was also rechecked and cleared, so who knows?

I hope for his sake, and for ours, that he is able to have a healthy career and life. Even if we are able to use him as a situational pass rusher, it would be a huge win. Definitely one of my favorite players in this draft and I am stoked to have him. Hoping for the best!

Outstanding approach, people need to temper their expectations of him. His heart wasn't the only reason he dropped, being undersized and an average at very best athlete most definitely contributed as well that's why teams didn't pick him and had the Raiders not select him, there was a really good chance he would have been an UDFA. Good for him that at least he was able to get drafted. Anything you get from him significant is a win.

 

PJ Hall on the other hand was my most favorite prospect of this draft, at the very worst he's going to be Rod Coleman (Raider comp)for you guys, he could be one of the next great DTs in the league.

Edited by MSURacerDT55

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Outstanding approach, people need to temper their expectations of him. His heart wasn't the only reason he dropped, being undersized and an average at very best athlete most definitely contributed as well that's why teams didn't pick him and had the Raiders not select him, there was a really good chance he would have been an UDFA. Good for him that at least he was able to get drafted. Anything you get from him significant is a win.

 

PJ Hall on the other hand was my most favorite prospect of this draft, at the very worst he's going to be Rod Coleman (Raider comp)for you guys, he could be one of the next great DTs in the league.

 

That would be absolutely great if he had that kind of impact, Coleman was a very good player for us but seems to get lost in the mix of time perhaps. I like our chances of at least one of Hurst and Hall being very impactful, double dipping in this case was extremely prudent I feel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×