Rd. 5- DT Maurice Hurst

NickButera

Excited to see him on the field. Exactly what Oakland needs in this defense. Hopefully, his heart issue is behind him and he comes in with a chip on his shoulder and is ready to prove everyone wrong. Well worth the risk at this point. 

37 minutes ago, NickButera said:

If you start going all positive I'm not sure how I'm going to deal with it. I rely on you to be the bad guy around here. 

Haha don't worry, I'll find something to hate. 

I do like this draft, our strategy was spot on but more importantly than filling holes these guys need to play at a high level.   

I really love the Bryant trade for a 3rd rounder.  That guy will ball out if he is committed to putting in the work and studying.  Well worth the risk.  

14 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Haha don't worry, I'll find something to hate. 

I do like this draft, our strategy was spot on but more importantly than filling holes these guys need to play at a high level.   

I really love the Bryant trade for a 3rd rounder.  That guy will ball out if he is committed to putting in the work and studying.  Well worth the risk.  

I like it too. I get Miller, he's the second rated tackle on the draft so no complaints taking him as the second tackle taken in the draft. That's logical I guess as much as I didn't like it. PJ Hall confuses me a bit at where we took him. That's the only pick that I've got complaints with. They must have saw something or figured a scheme fit but I thought there were better DTs to take at the time.

Considering he knew about this his freshman year and had it checked out, and was at such a big name school....they wouldn't have let him play without being medically cleared every year.  I'm really not that worried about it for that reason alone. 

Very, very happy with this pick. Was probably my third favourite DT in this draft and prior to the draft I'd have been delighted if he was there in the 2nd round for us to take. To have him sat there in the 5th is simply a no-brainer. Measurables, production and tape and a low draft pick to mitigate the risk makes this the best pick in the whole draft in my opinion. Especially as we'll not have the pressure of being a 1st round pick and have to be thrown in on all 3 downs. We can ease him in, rotate him with Hall and get the best of both players.

If the medical condition isn't too serious, we'll look like geniuses with this pick. I have no doubt he can be one of the most disruptive DTs in the league. And he's such a perfect fit in our new scheme. By far, my favorite pick in this draft.

31 minutes ago, Totty said:

Looks like scouts around the league are upset we picked him.  Saying it was "irresponsible" and "he could literally die on the field" etc.  Thoughts?

I'm wondering why the same scrutiny wasn't applied to Michigan then. 

25 minutes ago, NickButera said:

I'm wondering why the same scrutiny wasn't applied to Michigan then. 

Guessing people needed to save face for when he becomes a stud in the NFL. It is curious. At least now he is getting paid to play and can help his family, etc.

1 hour ago, Totty said:

Looks like scouts around the league are upset we picked him.  Saying it was "irresponsible" and "he could literally die on the field" etc.  Thoughts?

We're the Raiders baby. Being irresponsible is our birthright. 

38 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Guessing people needed to save face for when he becomes a stud in the NFL. It is curious. At least now he is getting paid to play and can help his family, etc.

Barring major medical concerns, do you think he'll pan out?  I'm not a scout.  Nor can I eye test at the college level.  Lol.  

I think (well hope) that some of these teams were hoping to get him later, or planning to bring him in as a ufa. Kind of weird that he fell this far though. Star did not fall this far and apparently it’s a similar issue. Part of me wonders if since the nfl has a rough image due to cte, that teams are even more apprehensive about having a guy with these kinds of issues. (Apparently guice fell more due to speculation fwiw.) He was also rechecked and cleared, so who knows?

I hope for his sake, and for ours, that he is able to have a healthy career and life. Even if we are able to use him as a situational pass rusher, it would be a huge win. Definitely one of my favorite players in this draft and I am stoked to have him. Hoping for the best!

Archived