5th Round Pick (172nd Overall): JK Scott [P; Alabama]

Packerraymond

I hope this isn't another Derrick Frost situation. We got rid of a very proven punter in Jon Ryan for a guy that the ST coach was enamored with and the guy was terrible. I was happy about our punting situation last year for the first time in a long time. This is a little baffling. At the very least, our GM is showing that he's listening to the coaching staff and is trying to build the team with players to suit their needs.

3 minutes ago, strat1080 said:

I hope this isn't another Derrick Frost situation. We got rid of a very proven punter in Jon Ryan for a guy that the ST coach was enamored with and the guy was terrible. I was happy about our punting situation last year for the first time in a long time. This is a little baffling. At the very least, our GM is showing that he's listening to the coaching staff and is trying to build the team with players to suit their needs.

I don't think it's good if this decision was made because of the opinions of the coaching staff. This has "Jon Ryan" written all over it. Vogel was the best punter we've had in decades, and the new guy easily could be a bust. I thought it was funny last year how the coaches continually complained about Vogel being inconsistent and refused to publicly admit that they were impressed by him. He may end up punting for the Vikings, and he'll probably get even better with experience. 

5 minutes ago, Greg C. said:

I don't think it's good if this decision was made because of the opinions of the coaching staff. This has "Jon Ryan" written all over it. Vogel was the best punter we've had in decades, and the new guy easily could be a bust. I thought it was funny last year how the coaches continually complained about Vogel being inconsistent and refused to publicly admit that they were impressed by him. He may end up punting for the Vikings, and he'll probably get even better with experience. 

I feel the same way. I'm a little uneasy about this and think it could be another Jon Ryan/Derrick Frost situation.

Vogel requested his release. Makes sense, he'll get claimed by a team who will give him the job and he'll have all summer to move and get acclimated to the new city. Versus the Jake Schum situation he was heading towards where he probably lives out of a hotel until the bye week. I get it.

9 minutes ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

Must have missed the Cowboys game then

Despite the Cowboys game everyone was more than happy for him to be our punter for next season. Then the negative jibes started to pop up as soon Scott was drafted.

It's just very weird and interesting human behaviour. I wonder if there's a scientific study on this phenomenon. icon_lol.gif

he proved himself under pressure right away in 2014 as a true freshman at Alabama in his first national title game, booming seven punts for a single-game school record 55.0-yard average (53.6 net), with five dropped inside the 20 and two of them covering 73 and 65 yards.

He finished on a similarly high note, with three of six punts in last year’s national title game against Georgia going for 50-plus, two inside the 20.

Clutch with the leg cannon.

2 hours ago, Chili said:

Its weird. I heard nothing about Vogel's holding issues before Scott was drafted. Now it's being mentioned all the time lol. icon_rolleyes.gif

They had problems during the 2017 season which were described as "operational failures" - or something like that. The team never specified.

Although I was thinking it was centered around the LS - there probably were some issues with Vogel's holding.

Scott's a player. A four year player at the top program in the nation - not some small school "welcome to the big time" question mark.

Archived