Snap reaction: Your grade for the 2018 Redskins draft

Woz

Snap reaction: Your grade for the 2018 Redskins draft  

35 members have voted

1. 1. As of right now, what is your grade for the Redskins draft class in 2018?

• A (4.0)
    • A- (3.7)
    • B+ (3.3)
    • B (3.0)
    • B- (2.7)
    • C+ (2.3)
    • C (2.0)
    • C- (1.7)
    • D+ (1.3)
    • D (1.0)
    • D- (0.7)
    • F (0.0)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/12/2018 at 04:00 AM

Payne is only 20 years old, I dont think he is anywhere close to a finished product. Vea is 23 years old and had the better college production. He could be the one that has nearly hit his athletic ceiling. Who knows? All I know is Payne will only be 26 years old when 2nd contract comes around which should be in his prime where Vea will be almost 29, close age to the decline. I'm sure the Skins initially wanted Vea but Payne selection may be a blessing in disguise long term.

When Paynes rookie contract is up there's a good chance we have a QB on a rookie contract to allow us salary cap to keep these guys on the dline for a long time.

Could be the start of something special 

Could be a way we screw it up too. Seen it before 

9 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I didn’t, I posted a tweet that I had tweeted from wapo. Instead of going and finding the tweet on the wapo time line (which can sometimes take a while bc they tweet and retweet so many of their articles like all news orgs) I just posted the tweet I had tweeted.

Try to keep up old timer! Lol ? 

So then you agree...its still posting your own tweet.

Which to me is kinda funny.

27 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

So then you agree...its still posting your own tweet.

Which to me is kinda funny.

You said I quoted it, like as if I quoted myself, which imo is not what I did. I posted a Washington article on twitter, then I copied that and posted the article in here because it’s easier than finding the Washington post tweet. I’ve done that a lot over the last 5 years or so since I’ve been active on twitter because it’s easier than finding the original tweets after the fact. It’s not like I tweeted something that I thought of myself and then quoted it in here rather than just saying the same thing in here that I said on twitter, which I do a lot.

I gave us a B+ grade.

Love the Payne pick, but I think we could have traded down & still got him.

Guise @ 59 is crazy value. There was talk of him @13. I've heard many sources think he's better than Barkley. Specially, if he returns to 2016 form.

G. Christian in 3rd is ok...

Settle in the 5th, might be even better value then when we got Guice. Awesome selection!

But the Trey Quinn pick is why I can't give us an A. Projected 6/7 round. Looks like a good player and real fast, but 4th round?

I would have thought Guard, might have been where to look in the 4th. Who knows...

Overall, I thought we did excellent with value and needs. Maybe reached on a couple players, but I can't complain too much.

I will say this though.....

If Guice has the impact I hope he has for this team, than we got an A draft, imo.

It would be like we landed 2 first round picks in Payne & Guice.

I'm stoked!

I hope for our sake....Guice is a HOFer & Barkley is a Penn st. Bust

That would be awesome!

10 hours ago, turtle28 said:

You said I quoted it, like as if I quoted myself, which imo is not what I did. I posted a Washington article on twitter, then I copied that and posted the article in here because it’s easier than finding the Washington post tweet. I’ve done that a lot over the last 5 years or so since I’ve been active on twitter because it’s easier than finding the original tweets after the fact. It’s not like I tweeted something that I thought of myself and then quoted it in here rather than just saying the same thing in here that I said on twitter, which I do a lot.

No. I said your own tweet. Not the link.

I agree that the link in your tweet was to WaPo. 

Which.You.Tweeted

And then you posted that tweet here.

I rest my case.

Regardless, let's get back to the topic

Apologies for derailing the thread, everyone.

It’s an A- for me (dawg).

Day One: B+

I like the player a whole lot, just wonder if we could have gotten him a little lower and picked up something in the process. Chargers probably would have taken him though, so maybe not. Also would have absolutely strongly considered the NO deal.

NT isn’t a premium position, but it’s a huge position of need and he’s a good scheme fit, so that’s solid. I’m not worried about the player at all. NT is far more about technique and want-to than it is about measurables, and he’s great on both of those. I’m not really sure why there’s concern about his athletic ability anyway, his testing numbers compare quite favorably to guys who play or have played that one gap NT role very well (like Timmy Jernigan, Michael Brockers, Marcell Dareus, Kyle Williams, and incidentally everyone’s favorite still-unemployed FA Johnathan Hankins). Holds up well against the run and has pass-rush upside. I like it, and I love the Allen/Payne combination. Just can’t go higher than a B+ because the “value” was just okay.

Day Two: A

No other way to reasonably grade it. Some wanted Guice at 13, some would have taken him if we traded down into the 20s, everyone would have gleefully taken him if he was was still there at 44. The Redskins could have done the easy/safe thing and just taken him when he made it there. They got greedy and took a calculated risk, they read the room perfectly, and it paid off huge. Guice is a fantastic fit for us, as a tough and rugged runner who will be an ideal complement for Chris Thompson. And in addition to Guice, who we considered our best case scenario result at 44, we also got a raw but extremely athletic OT prospect to develop? Basically for free? You can’t do better than that when you went into the day with one pick.

Day 3: A-

I know people were a little concerned when our first pick of the day was someone none of us had on the radar. I know I was. But I like much of what I’ve learned about Apke since then, and I think he’s got a good shot to contribute as a versatile and ST ace. Settle was an absolute steal, and I love having two young bucks to develop together in the middle of the DL. He’ll make an impact in a 10-15 snap role. Shaun Dion is a roll of the dice health-wise, but you have to like the upside of that gamble — he could legitimately be a starter at ILB if/when he regains his full health, or at least a solid rotational guy like we’ve had in Compton over the last few years.

I’m not sold on Stroman, mostly because of that thin frame of his, but he’s got natural cover skills and maybe he shows out as a return guy. And then Trey Quinn is a guy who I really love as Mr. Irrelevant. I was glad to see Doug Williams mention that Gruden was pounding the table for Quinn too, I think he sees what I see: a guy who doesn’t have the physical profile to be the classic #1 WR, but who does everything else well. Knack for getting open, good route-runner at each level, excellent hands, solid after the catch. Extremely reliable guy, I think he quickly becomes a better version of Ryan Grant and a perfect fit for this offense/QB.

A+ if they picked Derwin James - who was the bpa in the first round - and the rest ended up the same. Really strong draft overall. 

Each of these players has a very reasonably shot to make the roster because of existing strengths.

1. Payne: B+
  2. Guice: A
  3. Christian: A
  4. Apke: A-
  5. Settle: A
  6. Hamilton: A
  7. Stroman B+
    Quinn A 

QB (2) Smith | Hogan
HB (4) Guice | Kelly | Perine | Thompson
H-back (1) Reed
TE (2) Davis | Sprinkle
X (2) Doctson | Harris
Y (2) Crowder | Quinn
Z (2) Richardson | Davis
LT (3) Williams | Nsekhe | Christian
LG (2) Franklin | Clemmings 
C (2) Roullier | Bergstrom
RG (2) Scherff | Kalis
RT (1) Moses

LE (2) McGee | Ioannidis
NT (3) Payne | Taylor | Settle
RE (2) Allen | Lanier
LOLB (2) Smith | McPhee
ILB (3) Foster | Hamilton | Harvey-Clemons
ILB (2) Brown | Vigil
ROLB (2) Kerrigan | Anderson
LCB (1) Norman
RCB (2) Moreau | Dunbar
NCB (3) Scandrick | Holsey | Stroman
SS (2) Swearinger | Everett
FS (2) Nicholson | Apke

P (1) Irwin-Hill
K (1) Hopkins
LS (1) Sundberg

2 hours ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

I agree with pretty much everything, except this.  You really think McGee should start over Ioannidis?

I would even say Settle jumps Taylor. Can see Payne kicking outside with Settle at the nose in certain packages. Id cant wait to see what the short yardage will look like It’s definitely good to be deep

8 hours ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

I agree with pretty much everything, except this.  You really think McGee should start over Ioannidis?

Yeah, I think that the 30-40% that McGee plays is a lot of 1st and 2nd down when base formation is used, so by default a starter. 
A healthy Taylor > Hood.

7 hours ago, bigdog44 said:

I would even say Settle jumps Taylor. Can see Payne kicking outside with Settle at the nose in certain packages. Id cant wait to see what the short yardage will look like It’s definitely good to be deep

I think we’re sleeping on Phil Taylor. We know why he hasn’t gotten to be the player he shows he could be 6 & 7 years ago and I’m not going to talk about that for fear of the jinx again, but my darhorse for starting NT is Taylor and Payne starts in our base defense as the 5-tech, which frees Allen up to be our predominant pass rushing 3-tech (which he didn’t get to be last year) and Allen can then have 5 sacks or more from that position rather than having to play 5-tech and take on double teams to free up the player next to him to go one on one and rush the passer.

I’ll be shocked if Settle is anything more than a rotation player like E suggested - a 10 to 15 snap a game player - as a rookie. Settle has talent, but he needs some work and development which luckily he’ll get like Ioannidis and Lanier did last year too because we have the best DL coach in the business... Tomsula!

Ill also agree with @e16bball that I’m concerned about Stroman’s extremely skinny and wirey frame. Clearly players have made it and been great players at his size before like Darrell Green amongst others - but it is a concern that he’s 5’11 and only 180. For comparison Kendall Fuller and Josh Holsey are 5’11 and a few biscuits shy of 200 pounds. I’d like to see our trainers get stroman on an eating plan where he’s eating a meal at least 6 times a day with several protein shakes to see if they can put 5 to 10 pounds on him in the next 3 to 4 months.

6 hours ago, mar29020 said:

does bruce allen draft better for the redskins then scott?

Remains to be seen, and I’d say that Bruce is relying on Doug Williams, Kyle Smith and Scot Campbell to do the actual work and then he’s just in the part of the meetings where they are all talking about their research and making final decisions.

So, let’s not get it twisted. McCloughan was a true football guy - a GM who still acted and researched like a lower level scout even though he was their bosses - Bruce Allen is a manager of the scouting department.

I’ll give a personal example. At my work we have a general counsel. Our former General Counsel was basically a manager, he was a brilliant guy but did little work. It seemed he just read the paper and cases etc all day and just knew everything because his IQ was off the charts. He delegated all the work to our associate general counsel, our staff attorneys and consultants. I literally never knew what he did and a friend of mine - who was a staff attorney for us - and is now an associate general counsel somewhere else said that our former GC did nothing, he just managed the department, my dad told me the same thing and he was the second highest paid person at my work after the president.

Now, we have a new GC because the other guy retired and he was someone we used as a consultant for 40 years, and he’s much more active. The new guy actually works. He doesn’t just delegate it to the other 3 attorneys under him and then read the paper and cases/News all day.

So, Bruce Allen is like my jobs former GC. He doesn’t do jack ish, just is a politician, is in the room when final decisions are being made/contracts being signed after Schaefer does the dirty work or Doug/Campbell & Kyle Smith and then he’s the mouthpiece for the organization.

McCloughan is GC #2. He loves scouting and doing the dirty work and hours and days/weeks/months of work scouting the top players in college and the top free agents in the NFL to determine who he’d want for his team.

For me, a lot of how I feel about McCloughan comes down to Baker Mayfield VS Darnold, Rosen and Josh Allen. McCloughan has stood on the table for Mayfield all last football season and possibly before. McCloughan and Nolan also took Alex Smith over Aaron Rodgers. So, if Darnold, Rosen and Josh Allen end up being better than Mayfield (which I think is highly likely) then I’m sorry, but I’m going to have to knock McCloughan down a peg.

Archived