Out with the slow in with the new

Golfman

I think the overriding theme in the draft was measurables matter. 

- Tall and fast matters at the WR position based on this draft. It looks possible that the only two holdovers from last years beginning roster at WR will be Adams and Cobb. 

- Our defense has gotten noticeable faster in one off season. This has to be a good thing. 

- The middle of the field is no longer open with the addition of a potential shut down slot CB in Alexander (who can also play boundary). Burks is the fastest ILB we've had.... ever and his ability to flip his hips and run and back peddle with make the center of the field less appealing. 

- Apparently TE and EDGE were not concerns for our staff. I'm a bit shocked and hope I'm wrong. 

- The Brett Goode era has come to an end. 

- I hate our new punter until/unless he's modernizes his hairdo. That is just socially awkward. 

8 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

We moved up last year for Yancy and I just don't see how he can crack the roster with the new bodies brought in.  He'll need a ridiculous camp.

If you look at the WR's we took, it would appear Allison isn't fast enough for our new GM's liking. It would not surprise me if he's cut along with Davis, who is fast enough, but not a capable NFL WR to this point. 

2 minutes ago, Golfman said:

If you look at the WR's we took, it would appear Allison isn't fast enough for our new GM's liking. It would not surprise me if he's cut along with Davis, who is fast enough, but not a capable NFL WR to this point. 

This could be true although I'd like BOTH to find another gear and kick it up......or.....become one (!) cause each has what the other needs.

11 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

We moved up last year for Yancy and I just don't see how he can crack the roster with the new bodies brought in.  He'll need a ridiculous camp.

I'm not sure I'd be so quick to write off Yancy. Hes got some athletic chops too, the fact that we put him on the PS kind of shows that none of the 3 who we drafted are shoe-ins for PT just because they're athletic. 

1 hour ago, Golfman said:

I think the overriding theme in the draft was measurables matter. 

- Tall and fast matters at the WR position based on this draft. It looks possible that the only two holdovers from last years beginning roster at WR will be Adams and Cobb. 

- Our defense has gotten noticeable faster in one off season. This has to be a good thing. 

- The middle of the field is no longer open with the addition of a potential shut down slot CB in Alexander (who can also play boundary). Burks is the fastest ILB we've had.... ever and his ability to flip his hips and run and back peddle with make the center of the field less appealing. 

- Apparently TE and EDGE were not concerns for our staff. I'm a bit shocked and hope I'm wrong. 

- The Brett Goode era has come to an end. 

- I hate our new punter until/unless he's modernizes his hairdo. That is just socially awkward. 

Seems very optimistic to me to think that a 4th, 5th and 6th round WR are going to be the 3rd, 4th, and 5th receivers on an NFL team as rookies. Just think you're putting way too much on the kids. If you get even one guy of the three contributing in year one, you're happy.

Our defense might have gotten faster, but did it get better? Seems real optimistic to me to think that Brice and Jones will outplay Burnett. 

We probably got slower on the boundary at CB with two old guys out there. Jackson will get reps but he's not really fast. Alexander is faster than Randall in the slot, but he's probably not going to be better as a rookie.

How many snaps are you expecting Burks to carry this year? If Burks can't hang, he's not going to play. These are mid round picks. There guys have flaws.

I hope you're right, and I know it's the day after the draft and everybody thinks we get 9 all pros, but calm down.

Saying, "The middle of the field is no longer open" is premature at best and idiotic at worst.

2 hours ago, Golfman said:

To me, they're looking at a certain body type.  Looking at them.

J'Mon Moore: 6'3", 205, 9 3/8" hands, 4.49 40, 38" VJ, 10" BJ, 6.56 3 Cone
Marquez Valdes-Scantling: 6'4", 206, 10" hands, 4.37 40, 30.5" VJ, 10'4" BJ, 6.85 3 Cone
Equanimeous St. Brown: 6'5", 214, 9 3/4 hands, 4.48 40, 34.5" VJ, NO BJ, No 3 Cone

They're all on the bigger side.  Just for comparison's sake, this was Jordy Nelson's combine results.

Jordy Nelson: 6'3", 215, 10" hands, 4.51 40, 31" VJ, 10'3" BJ, 7.03 3 Cone

It's pretty clear they're looking for Jordy Nelson with these 3 picks.

2 hours ago, Golfman said:

Apparently TE and EDGE were not concerns for our staff. I'm a bit shocked and hope I'm wrong.

I'm not sure that's necessarily the case.  Gute has been on record as saying that he didn't feel the value on the EDGE was there.  Combine that with the fact it was a rather weak EDGE class, and it's really not surprising they didn't grab an EDGE before the 7th round.  As for TE, they're usually a second year producer and Jimmy Graham is probably in Green Bay for two years minimum.  So they're probably not in the market for a TE until next year.

48 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Seems very optimistic to me to think that a 4th, 5th and 6th round WR are going to be the 3rd, 4th, and 5th receivers on an NFL team as rookies. Just think you're putting way too much on the kids. If you get even one guy of the three contributing in year one, you're happy.

Our defense might have gotten faster, but did it get better? Seems real optimistic to me to think that Brice and Jones will outplay Burnett. 

We probably got slower on the boundary at CB with two old guys out there. Jackson will get reps but he's not really fast. Alexander is faster than Randall in the slot, but he's probably not going to be better as a rookie.

How many snaps are you expecting Burks to carry this year? If Burks can't hang, he's not going to play. These are mid round picks. There guys have flaws.

I hope you're right, and I know it's the day after the draft and everybody thinks we get 9 all pros, but calm down.

Saying, "The middle of the field is no longer open" is premature at best and idiotic at worst.

I think Jackson is fast enough, never had a hard time keeping up with any receiver in college. I do think we got better on defense overall with Jackson/Alexander, Burks is still out in the open for me, but if he's better than Joe Thomas and maybe play more than 3rd down, I'm all for that pick. Hopefully Jones takes that jump, wish we got a pass rusher earlier and a Saftey.

As for the receiver position, i think it's not that far fetched to think 2 out the 3 will be your 3rd, 4th, or 5th guy, that is if we don't sign a vet and stand pat with what we have. I'm predicting it will be J'mon, Allison, St. Brown as those guys behind Adams and Cobb.

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Just depends on initial viewpoint. Seems like some people are hopeful while waiting to see how the picks turn out, and others tend to not be as hopeful while waiting. I'm usually pretty hopeful and I like the emphasis on athleticism. 

Jones is my biggest worry. We'll find out if it was coaching or if we just relegated him to his worst possible scenario

You're just hoping one of them is a capable 4th option behind cobb, adams and Jimmy Graham.

3 hours ago, Golfman said:

Apparently TE and EDGE were not concerns for our staff. I'm a bit shocked and hope I'm wrong. 

TE - we signed Jimmy Graham for 2 years.  I'm not worried about TE.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

They're all on the bigger side.  Just for comparison's sake, this was Jordy Nelson's combine results.

J'Mon Moore is big, but he is very shifty.  Way more agile than Nelson who was a long strider.  He's much more Adams than Nelson for me.

Jones needs to come to play this year.  You have to think that one of the two rookie corners is going to improve on House's game at least by the end of the year.  We don't need marshon lattimore from these guys, all we really need is solid play from one and good play from the other.  I don't think that's asking a ton from 2 of the top 5 corners in the draft.

Archived