Worst Game Mechanics

DingoLadd

40 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

The reason for a nightfall timer is because nightfall is a challenge mode and without a timer you can cheese boss fights pretty easily sometimes.

Eh I understand the reason for it. I just hate it. It forces you to not have any fun while your playing. If your not moving forward or if you screw up a little might as well start over. I hate it. The biggest issue is its not even really that challenging once you understand how to buy yourself time. 

One that hasn't been mentioned I don't think yet it unskippable cut scenes. 

12 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Eh I understand the reason for it. I just hate it. It forces you to not have any fun while your playing. If your not moving forward or if you screw up a little might as well start over. I hate it. The biggest issue is its not even really that challenging once you understand how to buy yourself time. 

One that hasn't been mentioned I don't think yet it unskippable cut scenes. 

That's true and one of the problems with games like Destiny, they tie progression to playing a very specific way that not everybody may find fun, doesn't work so well for them.

Also, yes unskippable cut scenes suck. I think a lot of them hide loading screens these days though so that may be why, still a terrible mechanic.

Any time in a 3D game where there is a forced camera shift.  I was looking in one way, and moving where I wanted, the camera shifted and I run backward and don't know where I am.  I hate that.  It made Resident Evil impossible for me to play, Onimusha was very similar but not quite as bad.  There was a different samurai game that I rented that would have been really cool, but it was like that as well. 

I also think that most games give you too much currency once you reach a certain point.  In most RPGs money is a problem for about the first third or so of the game.  Then, as you grind and beat stronger enemies and the rewards go up, money really is not an issue, and you are just stock piling it.  

Sequels that make you re-earn every, or almost every, ability you earned in the previous game. I get that they don't want you to start out OP, but so often it just feels like they're masking the fact that they couldn't come up with many new abilities/skills.

13 hours ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

I also think that most games give you too much currency once you reach a certain point.  In most RPGs money is a problem for about the first third or so of the game.  Then, as you grind and beat stronger enemies and the rewards go up, money really is not an issue, and you are just stock piling it.  

Yes! To add to that most money becomes simply useless by the 2nd half of most games. In most RPGs the best gear comes from looting things you killed or chests. That along with crafting and other mechanics make money essentially useless in almost all RPGs I've ever played. In fact I can't think of one RPG (Maybe some MMOs) where money was really of any use by about half way through it. 

8 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

In fact I can't think of one RPG (Maybe some MMOs) where money was really of any use by about half way through it. 

I feel like in Dragon Age: Origins anyways it was at least a balance of that, there were a few amazing items in certain stores. So money still was important for buying those, but for the most part, I agree that it seems like a lot of RPG's, besides mundane stuff like potions, there aren't big ticket items to purchase after you get through half of the game.

19 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

I feel like in Dragon Age: Origins anyways it was at least a balance of that, there were a few amazing items in certain stores. So money still was important for buying those, but for the most part, I agree that it seems like a lot of RPG's, besides mundane stuff like potions, there aren't big ticket items to purchase after you get through half of the game.

Man do I miss that game. The amount of series that were royally screwed by sequels is depressing. 

Just now, Spartacus said:

Man do I miss that game. The amount of series that were royally screwed by sequels is depressing. 

I actually don't mind the second, though the story is pretty convoluted. The third I've had issues getting into, some of it is because I don't like the camera movement in that one, it doesn't seem natural to me for some reason and it makes me slightly  motion sick if I play too long. Also, the story seems like it should be cooler than it is and it's too open world. Origins has the right balance, limited areas and then exploring in those areas as compared to Inquisition that limits your areas but just ends up being too big an area and too little focus in the area.

7 hours ago, Spartacus said:

Yes! To add to that most money becomes simply useless by the 2nd half of most games. In most RPGs the best gear comes from looting things you killed or chests. That along with crafting and other mechanics make money essentially useless in almost all RPGs I've ever played. In fact I can't think of one RPG (Maybe some MMOs) where money was really of any use by about half way through it. 

I hate it, but at the same time, I don't have a clue how to fix it.  Maybe just scale down how much is rewarded? Like in real life, most people don't walk around with thousands of dollars on them, so why should a bandit drop 10,000 when most people would only have 0-200?

Archived