2019 Draft Talk (Draft Order in OP)

TecmoSuperJoe

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Not super shocking. Williams is legit. It wouldn't be the way I would go about it - I'll be honest, I Think I'd have to plug in to Bosa for the need, but I absolutely understand this thought line. 

Trade for Ford and then I'm even more fine with it. Not sure what you do with Thomas as he becomes nothing but a rotational player in nickel but it is what it is. Ford/Williams/Buckner/Thomas DL would still be super legit. But if we don't get a youngish pass rusher like Ford, it will be extremely hard for me to pass up on Bosa. That's where you have to elite prospects but the edge goes to the bigger positional need.

But I wouldn't be upset with the Williams pick. The potential he has is indeed scary and he very well may be the best player in the draft. 

Just now, John232 said:

Not a matter of Williams, he worth #1 if Cards stay put, but this should not be a hard question. We have 0 players that should be starting at edge 

I'm not talking about that though. I'm talking about the idea that if we want Williams we should be trading back first because we get him later. I don't agree with that. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Trade for Ford and then I'm even more fine with it. Not sure what you do with Thomas as he becomes nothing but a rotational player in nickel but it is what it is. Ford/Williams/Buckner/Thomas DL would still be super legit. But if we don't get a youngish pass rusher like Ford, it will be extremely hard for me to pass up on Bosa. That's where you have to elite prospects but the edge goes to the bigger positional need.

But I wouldn't be upset with the Williams pick. The potential he has is indeed scary and he very well may be the best player in the draft. 

In TCMD, I acquired JPP and Bosa went number one, so I just bit the bullet and took Williams at 2 over guys like Allen. So I get it. I think that there are reasons / scenarios in which you can justify selecting Williams. As you said, trading for Dee Ford would probably be one of them. 

14 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

As a fan you can. As a team you have to make this debate if your evaluation is that they are close. Just saying we don't even consider Williams or trading back lower than the Raiders(where you still end up with one of them) makes zero sense. I would go for Bosa because i think he is on the same level and fits a bigger need but when you can choose between Aaron Donald and Joey Bosa you have to at least consider both of them.

Lol this is my issue with QW. Some how we have gotten to the point of making him the 2nd coming of AD and he'll be nothing less. Yet Bosa can only be his bro(which is still very good)...but not something better. If people are being realistic he won't be the next AD or have a career similar to what looks like a first ballot HOF. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I'm not talking about that though. I'm talking about the idea that if we want Williams we should be trading back first because we get him later. I don't agree with that. 

Ah I see. I just have a hard time seeing any team in the top 6, outside of the Cards have a huge need for him, that’s why I could see him drop, this preferring the tradeback. I also don’t see why a team would tradeuo to 2 for Williams when you have some other high level DT prospects. 

But I see your point, if a team falls in love with a guy, that’s all it takes for a move to happen.

3 minutes ago, sherm said:

Lol this is my issue with QW. Some how we have gotten to the point of making him the 2nd coming of AD and he'll be nothing less. Yet Bosa can only be his bro(which is still very good)...but not something better. If people are being realistic he won't be the next AD or have a career similar to what looks like a first ballot HOF. 

Not just first ballot, beat DT ever.

Just now, sherm said:

That was not he point i was making but how they view him according to that tweet. Bosa is very good and probably will be very good just like his brother who is really similar to him. And if i was picking i 100% would take Bosa with no doubt in my mind because we need a edge rusher that bad. I am just saying that if you think QW is the second coming of AD or maybe think he can be even better you have to consider it. Just writing a guy as talented as QW off because we have Thomas who has been disapointing for his entire first two years isn't smart in my eyes. Can QW fail in the NFL offcourse and so can Bosa and so can every single guy that will be drafted. 

2 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

That was not he point i was making but how they view him according to that tweet. Bosa is very good and probably will be very good just like his brother who is really similar to him. And if i was picking i 100% would take Bosa with no doubt in my mind because we need a edge rusher that bad. I am just saying that if you think QW is the second coming of AD or maybe think he can be even better you have to consider it. Just writing a guy as talented as QW off because we have Thomas who has been disapointing for his entire first two years isn't smart in my eyes. Can QW fail in the NFL offcourse and so can Bosa and so can every single guy that will be drafted. 

Neither is it wise to dismiss a guy who has been misused most of the 2 years he has been here. That is just as bad, if not worse because the pick has already been used to pick the player. We fired a guy because he wasn't high on Solly and was likely holding him back by playing him where he doesn't belong.

With that in mind, Q Wms would be a wasted pick, IMO.

Just now, Chrissooner49er said:

Neither is it wise to dismiss a guy who has been misused most of the 2 years he has been here. That is just as bad, if not worse because the pick has already been used to pick the player. We fired a guy because he wasn't high on Solly and was likely holding him back by playing him where he doesn't belong.

With that in mind, Q Wms would be a wasted pick, IMO.

But really has Thomas shown any flashes of something special? He has been used multiple ways and never really showed something that screams special. Besides that if you believe a guy is being misused you can't put that on just the d-line coach. That falls on the whole defensive staff, HC and front office.

3 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

But really has Thomas shown any flashes of something special? He has been used multiple ways and never really showed something that screams special. Besides that if you believe a guy is being misused you can't put that on just the d-line coach. That falls on the whole defensive staff, HC and front office.

The team did. That was a reason given for his dismissal.

Just now, Chrissooner49er said:

The team did. That was a reason given for his dismissal.

No that was a report coming out Zgonina wasn't a fan of Thomas. I don't remember there being anything official coming from either Zgonina or Lynch/Shanahan. And if that really was the reason why not fire him earlier if that is the sole reason you think he is being hold back?

3 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Hi WalterFootball.......

Yep. It's all just word games and BS at this time anyway. No reason to lock down one guy, in case a team close behind really falls in love with QW. Make em come offer to get him. 

https://www.lcsun-news.com/story/sports/2019/03/12/terrill-hanks-new-mexico-state-football-nfl-draft-nfl-combine/3145477002/

Would have liked to see some other drill results for him, but maybe he really didn't need to. I think he'd be a great 49er to develop, and if he's selected by us on day 3, all the better. 

Hanks didn't run the 40 on Tuesday, but the majority of teams interested in Hanks, who was 6-foot-2, 242 pounds at the Combine, know that he plays fast on film and it did not stop other teams from meeting with him. "It's been more than I expected," Hanks said. "It was crazy just seeing that amount of scouts (on Tuesday). My agent was telling me that position coaches usually don't come to a pro day."

Hanks said he has met or worked out with eight NFL teams thus far. "I'm listening to see if they are actually interested in me," Hanks said. "When they say what they like about me and that I play fast, it lets me know that they have done their homework and they know how they want to use me." Hanks is flying home to Miami on Wednesday and plans to watch the April 23-25 NFL Draft in the Florida Keys with his family. 

The other day, one of our scouts came to Québec City (and didn't even come to see me) to see Mathieu Betts (who was at the Shrine Bowl).

The New York Jets, Pittsburgh Steelers, Chicago Bears, Green Bay Packers and San Francisco 49ers did make it to Quebec City.

[...]

Betts checked in at fix-foot-two-and-a-half, 254 pounds recorded a 4.70 40-yard dash, 4.28 shuttle, 6.77 three-cone, nine-foot, nine-inch broad jump, 29.5-inch vertical and 23 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press. Compared to prospects at the NFL combine, Betts’ 40 would’ve ranked fourth, shuttle fourth, three-cone first and broad jump sixth

https://3downnation.com/2019/03/11/five-nfl-teams-travel-to-quebec-city-for-laval-pro-day/

Archived