2019 Draft Talk (Draft Order in OP)

TecmoSuperJoe

1 hour ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

I would love Harry or Butler, but historically we don’t draft big receivers, hopefully that changes. Maybe I’m holding onto the Baalke days though. It’s crazy how he was so obsessed with long arms but refused to draft a big receiver. 

I don't know if it will change or not... Shanny has mentioned he likes receivers who are able to separate. TEs will probably be our big receivers if you prefer to look at it that way.

6 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

2019 3rd and 2020 2nd? 

You know what a boss move would be? Trade up to the #1 pick, and then subsequently trade down to like #5 for a QB needy team. Granted, that could be done probably with our 2nd pick but still lol.

8 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

2019 3rd and 2020 2nd? 

You know what a boss move would be? Trade up to the #1 pick, and then subsequently trade down to like #5 for a QB needy team. Granted, that could be done probably with our 2nd pick but still lol.

I would hate this... I'd rather take Allen than give up the picks.

25 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I've brought this up several times as it makes sense for both teams depending on cost. The Cardinals have several needs, including one for a 3/4 end or 1/0 tech. Q Williams would be a great fit for the team, and he's the one prospect that matches up "tier" wise to Bosa (IE, they are not losing prospect value by taking Williams rather than Bosa as they largely considered to be 1-2 in this draft, in whichever order). 

It all comes down to how you evaluate Bosa v Allen in my opinion as both fans and the 49ers FO. If you are personally that much higher on Bosa than you are on Allen, then this trade makes sense from the 49er perspective and you have no problem with this type of move. If you are as high on Allen as you are on Bosa, or at least have a similar grade on him, even if they like Bosa more, then it makes more sense to sit and hold on to the pick, especially since its possible that AZ still moves down with someone else for a quarterback, potentially takes Murray, or whatever. There are scenarios wherein we sit tight and still end up with Bosa anyway. People who evaluate Allen in that regard as being very similar to Bosa would hate this move. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I've brought this up several times as it makes sense for both teams depending on cost. The Cardinals have several needs, including one for a 3/4 end or 1/0 tech. Q Williams would be a great fit for the team, and he's the one prospect that matches up "tier" wise to Bosa (IE, they are not losing prospect value by taking Williams rather than Bosa as they largely considered to be 1-2 in this draft, in whichever order). 

It all comes down to how you evaluate Bosa v Allen in my opinion as both fans and the 49ers FO. If you are personally that much higher on Bosa than you are on Allen, then this trade makes sense from the 49er perspective. If they are as high on Allen as they are on Bosa, or at least have a similar grade on him, even if they like Bosa more, then it makes more sense to sit and hold on to the pick, especially since its possible that AZ still moves down with someone else for a quarterback, potentially takes Murray, or whatever. There are scenarios wherein we sit tight and still end up with Bosa anyway. 

Allen can play SAM on early downs to rush the passer standing up, set the edge on runs, and drop into coverage if needed. Then, move to end to rush the passer on obvious passing downs. Bosa can only rush from the edge, albeit, very very well. I love Allen's versatility, athletic ability, and lack of serious injury history. 

If we don't get Williams, I definitely don't want to see him end up in our division. I think the Raiders will jump all over him if he makes it to #3. And I don't believe the Bosa thing for a second...if we really liked Bosa, no one would know. Smoke and mirrors....tis the season.

Just now, NinerNation21 said:

Allen can play SAM on early downs to rush the passer standing up, set the edge on runs, and drop into coverage if needed. Then, move to end to rush the passer on obvious passing downs. Bosa can only rush from the edge, albeit, very very well. I love Allen's versatility, athletic ability, and lack of serious injury history. 

Absolutely. Allen could also end up being Manny Lawson or Anthony Barr where his skillset largely transfers to the coverage aspect / off ball linebacker at the NFL level. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but not what we are looking for. I'm not sure how the FO views him. I think he could do both, but I would certainly understand if the FO is hesitant. 

Again, all depends on how you personally evaluate each of the prospects. 

I'm not going to hate a move like that if they choose to do it to go get Bosa. I understand the logic and thought behind it, the impetus for making the move if they are just not as confident in Allen as some of the posters (including myself) are.  Completely makes sense to me in that regard. I also understand the logic behind staying put, taking your chances that Bosa is still there at #2, and taking Allen if he's not. 

1 minute ago, 757-NINER said:

If we don't get Williams, I definitely don't want to see him end up in our division. I think the Raiders will jump all over him if he makes it to #3. And I don't believe the Bosa thing for a second...if we really liked Bosa, no one would know. Smoke and mirrors....tis the season.

Ehh, I don't know about that. The media pegged the niners first round picks the past two years way before the draft even happened. Maybe the FO has wised up and stopped showing their cards as much this year, but I specifically remember last year that the media knew we were going to take McGlinchey like a month before the draft.

I think a lot will depend on how the QB's will be evaluated by teams like the Giants and Jaguars and how much they want them. I think the Cardinals would be pretty willing to trade down with those teams and that would mean Bosa will be available at 2. 

1 minute ago, NinerNation21 said:

Ehh, I don't know about that. The media pegged the niners first round picks the past two years way before the draft even happened. Maybe the FO has wised up and stopped showing their cards as much this year, but I specifically remember last year that the media knew we were going to take McGlinchey like a month before the draft.

I didn't see one media outlet that had us taking McG last year....not one. Thomas wasn't a hard one to crack...

Just now, 757-NINER said:

I didn't see one media outlet that had us taking McG last year....not one. Thomas wasn't a hard one to crack...

Yeah I believe the only one who called it was Peter King and it happened the week of the draft and he was also with us leading up to the draft so he had some inside info.

1 minute ago, 757-NINER said:

I mean, I'm sure we have interest in him. How much interest? That's debatable. Enough to move up a spot and give ammunition to a divisional rival? I don't know. If a quarterback goes number 1, Bosa would be my odds on favorite for us to take at #2. Nothing to back that up, just my own gut feeling on what the FO would do in that situation. 

2 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Yeah, it came on hard core about 3 days before the actual draft or whatever. As @NcFinest9erFan alluded to, whenever that Peter King note was. Then everyone sort of picked up on it and the day before or two days before, a lot of people were commenting that it was possible. 

Archived