2019 Draft Talk

swede700

Per the trade value chart trading our 2nd and 3rd (585) would get us up to pick 32 (590) 33 (580) give or take. Might be worth considering if an OL we covet is still available.

For example:

1.18 Ford/Lindstrom/Bradbury/J. Williams

2.33 Falling OL Risner?

TDN Mock... kind of an ideal first three rounds for me:

1 - Jonah Williams [T] Alabama
2 - Jeffrey Simmons [DT] Mississippi State (Redshirt Year)
3 - Dru Samia [G] Oklahoma
4 - Darius Slayton [WR] Auburn
6 - Tommy Sweeney [TE] Boston College
6 - Benny Snell [RB] Kentucky
7 - Austin Bryant [EDGE] Clemson
7 - Terrill Hanks [LB] New Mexico State

How about 3 OL from Oklahoma? Here's what I just got on TDN:

18.  iOL Cody Ford (Oklahoma)

50. iDL Jeffery Simmons (Miss St)

81. iOL Ben Powers (Oklahoma)

120. OT Bobby Evans (Oklahoma)

190. S Lukas Denis (BC)

209. iDL Demarcus Christmas (FSU)

247. TE Donald Parham (Stetson)

250. LB Tre Lamar (Clemson)

4 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

id be interested in working him out as a LB

Very true, in the 3rd or 4th round he would be of big time interest, ideally he would be in a 3/4 defense though but does have trouble at the point of attack and defending the run but is pretty solid in coverage and showed good athletic ability for his size no question.  Had kind of a so so year considering he should have been way more productive getting sacks than he was.  Could play in a 4/3 defense no doubt but with Barr coming back, Kendricks and Eric Wilson getting another LB would be almost a wasted pick, especially with Gedeon and Downs as well who have potential.  So to me again a LB would just not be a good choice unless it is later like 5th-7th rounds.  Who knows maybe if they are literally thinking of making Barr a hybrid DE then another LB would be more of an option but they play so much nickel I think it would be just two LBs and a four man DL and 5 DBs a lot of the time.

48 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

Thoughts on Jerry Tillery?

I'm a fan of what I've seen, impressive prospect and PFF grades him with the best rushing grade for IDL (for whatever that's worth)

Love him, I think he is a late first early 2nd talent. 

Its weird to see so many mixed reviews.

his Stanford game was an absolute blast to watch. Dominated Nate Herbig all game.

With Free Agency moving players all over it's a total crap shoot as to who the Vikes select.  I think the Panthers getting Paradis opens the door for Bradbury at 18; however, I like the way Elflein's been playing center, and I think he's at the spot where he gets Pro-bowl consideration.  Bradbury at LG would be really nice.   At RG, the two guys I like are Ford and Lindstrom, with Lindstrom being the true RG . . . it's what he's played in the ACC for 2 or 3 years.  

Gotta watch more games of Lindstrom . . . he faced-off with Wilkins and Lawrence, as well as other big-time DTs.  If he truly held his own in those games, and his interviews are solid, I like to believe he's really high on the Vikes draft board.  What more could you want in a blue-collar, near-blue-chip RG?  His athleticism and experience are highly regarded, and that combine performance puts him in the Dillard-Bradbury realm.  

I think Ford's game tape shows he can play at the college level very well.  His measurables to me do not speak to immediate success in the NFL.  Sure he weighs 330-ish, but he should be benching 225 28+ reps.  His 40-time is good, and his lateral quickness is ok for his size.  I do wonder how he would anchor-up on the Linval Josephs and Akiem Hicks of the world, and should the Vikes draft him, I guess we'll find out.  

So, Rd 1 = Lindstrom (to me).

Rd 2 should be either a WR, Safety or TE.  At WR, should we look at a slot-type guy, or a lanky large catch radius guy?  The burners I think will be available include Isabella and McLaurin.  the all-arounders that could be available include Deebo Samuel, Miles Boykin, etc.  Not sure who would be best, but a guy that and impact every game is what the Vikes need as a 3rd WR.  How many times have we watched Treadwell drop a 1st down pass?  How often did Robinson make impact plays?  Really, past Diggs and Thielen, the Vikes have 0 reliability.  Not saying they need a third 1,000 yard receiver, but they need a receiver capable of producing 1,000 yards and 8-10 TDs should one of the other guys get hurt.  Plus, as much as I like Marcus Sherels on punts, missing a Harvin/Patterson threat back there is boring, if not troublesome.

I could see a DT being picked in Rd 2, and if Tillery's available, yep, get him.  Wren from AZ state may be a surprise here.

In Rd 3, I'd like the Vikes to look at OL again . . . need quality depth badly.  2 of the past 3 years, injuries have derailed the OL.  Could we just plug Froholdt in there?  :D   Or we could go with Udoh, Haynes, Tytus Howard or Trey Pipkins (more likely a Rd 4-5 guy).  The other postion for this Rd would be a RB in my mind.  Maybe they grab the horse from Nebraska or Barnes from K-State?   

For Rd 4, filling in needs of quality depth or looking to future cap casualties, is imperative . . . maybe DE, CB or Safety here . . . maybe yet another O-lineman?  My home-town pick here would be Jordan Brown, CB from SD State Jackrabbits.  Kahlen Saunders could be a steal here at DT.  

Rd 5?  

Rd 6 = If Gardner Minshew's on the board, the Vikes NEED to draft him.  Kid's a leader and a half. Has a good enough arm and is pretty stout, even when being targeted.  

I believe the Vikes have 4 picks between Rds 6 and 7, right?  It would sure be nice to have some or all of those leveraged to move up and pick quality depth/future starters in Rds 3, 4 and 5.  

3 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

We are pick # 18.

32 teams

32 (First Round Picks) + 18 (Our pick) = 50

Oh yeah.  I forgot the picks behind us in the first round.  For some reason, I was thinking we should be at #36 in round 2.  I guess it's getting late and it's past this old guy's bed time.

Archived