Packers Off-season Mini-Camp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

13 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

What he said...

What he said....

Jordy was way more than 5M. Wasn’t his cap at $10-12? 

Not sure why you couldn’t read the tea leaves. We missed on a few big WRs. Robinson being the main one. Not everybody wants to play in GB. 

I’m getting kind of sick of this. There’s a good chance Jordy has a good year and we acknowledge we cut him a year too early than a year too late. There’s also a good chance that 99% of the people talking about this are more sad to lose the name than the player.

He wasn’t our #1 last year, so are you suggesting we pay him as one? Do you want to cut a player in Cobb who is still young? Bet you regret that when he has success at his next stop. The point here is that if we paid Adams we needed to make a likely roster move between Cobb and Jordy. We can’t pay our WRs and QBs $30M each. 

6 hours ago, blankman0021 said:

Jordy was way more than 5M. Wasn’t his cap at $10-12? 

Not sure why you couldn’t read the tea leaves. We missed on a few big WRs. Robinson being the main one. Not everybody wants to play in GB. 

I’m getting kind of sick of this. There’s a good chance Jordy has a good year and we acknowledge we cut him a year too early than a year too late. There’s also a good chance that 99% of the people talking about this are more sad to lose the name than the player.

He wasn’t our #1 last year, so are you suggesting we pay him as one? Do you want to cut a player in Cobb who is still young? Bet you regret that when he has success at his next stop. The point here is that if we paid Adams we needed to make a likely roster move between Cobb and Jordy. We can’t pay our WRs and QBs $30M each. 

There was every indication that Jordy was open to a restructure and there's no need to cut Jordy for salary space until you've gotten the verbal from Robinson. This was bungled. And it was actually bungled very similarly to the CB Free Agency situation.

6 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

There was every indication that Jordy was open to a restructure and there's no need to cut Jordy for salary space until you've gotten the verbal from Robinson. This was bungled. And it was actually bungled very similarly to the CB Free Agency situation.

I dont think the situation was bungled and thats with my thinking that Nelson's not done. He's close to it IMO.....but the tanks not on E quite yet. I'm sure he'll create some sort of highlights this year and perhaps next - but will Derek Carr feed him as well (and as often) as AR? We shall see.  I also think the GBPs wanted (needed) to get younger (and add some bodies) at a most critical position on an AR led team.

We're a D+D team. Well, its year 3 for some of these guys and its time for the latter D to kick in. It's time to fish or cut bait.

What with all the chatter about GB being (or not being) a destination point for FA's - we *didnt* snag any WR FAs and thats with the tried and true: "Hey guys, come spend some career time with the GOAT QB 2 be." Nobody took us up on the offer.  So - I like the addition of new blood and remain hopeful they'll find pathways to stick with and help the team.

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

I dont think the situation was bungled and thats with my thinking that Nelson's not done. He's close to it IMO.....but the tanks not on E quite yet. I'm sure he'll create some sort of highlights this year and perhaps next - but will Derek Carr feed him as well (and as often) as AR? We shall see.  I also think the GBPs wanted (needed) to get younger (and add some bodies) at a most critical position on an AR led team.

We're a D+D team. Well, its year 3 for some of these guys and its time for the latter D to kick in. It's time to fish or cut bait.

What with all the chatter about GB being (or not being) a destination point for FA's - we *didnt* snag any WR FAs and thats with the tried and true: "Hey guys, come spend some career time with the GOAT QB 2 be." Nobody took us up on the offer.  So - I like the addition of new blood and remain hopeful they'll find pathways to stick with and help the team.

So you're going to stand by the opinion that:

Allison as the #3 WR, and 5 million in cap space rolling over is better than Jordy Nelson as the #3 WR, and Allison as the #4 WR?

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

So you're going to stand by the opinion that:

Allison as the #3 WR, and 5 million in cap space rolling over is better than Jordy Nelson as the #3 WR, and Allison as the #4 WR?

I dont value players by their contracts. Never have. Never will. Its not my money and I leave that to the team.

I like everything about Allison - except (unfortunately....) for his straight line speed and ability to get separation. Last year he showed better "quicks" (as I refer to it) and I'm interested to see what if any evolution he's made for this year. Is he ascending and as good now as Jordy is while he's descending? I'd say that outside "the relationship" Nelson and AR developed - I can live with the talent disparity.

6 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

CB situation? I’ll bet the Packers we’re moving our n from Randall even if they knew they couldn’t sign a FA corner OR not be able to get the be in the draft. And reports made it sound that way. 

Jordy was reportedly to be good with a pay cut but how much of one? He got paid well by the Raiders. 

They clearly just wanted to move on from Jordy.  He can't run after the catch anymore and unless he was dealing with some kind of serious injury that's probably not going to improve a year later.  Last year he moved like Davante the year he played on a bad ankle sprain.

On 5/11/2018 at 12:02 PM, packfanfb said:

Nope. Not complaining about Gute's off-season to date. I just hope it's not over like we are accustomed to in years' past. Team has a few more holes to fill and I hope we do so. 

* In fact, you and I shouldn't be in disagreement on this one because I've seen numerous posts from you where you have called for a FA EDGE and/or WR to be added to this roster. I hope we'll agree that if September rolls around that still hasn't happen, Gute will have come up short in at least that respect. 

Gute has literally done thing TT will never do, but it's never good enough for you.

3 hours ago, Leader said:

I dont value players by their contracts. Never have. Never will. Its not my money and I leave that to the team.

I like everything about Allison - except (unfortunately....) for his straight line speed and ability to get separation. Last year he showed better "quicks" (as I refer to it) and I'm interested to see what if any evolution he's made for this year. Is he ascending and as good now as Jordy is while he's descending? I'd say that outside "the relationship" Nelson and AR developed - I can live with the talent disparity.

Saying you don't value players based on their contracts is fine, but that's the only way to holistically view the roster. 

What the hell has Allison ever done to make anyone think he's not just one step above Michael Clark?

Also, it's not like Allison disappears if Jordy is brought back. You have both guys on the roster.

2 hours ago, Stevein2012 said:

They clearly just wanted to move on from Jordy.  He can't run after the catch anymore and unless he was dealing with some kind of serious injury that's probably not going to improve a year later.  Last year he moved like Davante the year he played on a bad ankle sprain.

And Allison runs with his feet encased in cement. What's your point?

4 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

QB situation? I’ll bet the Packers we’re moving our n from Randall even if they knew they couldn’t sign a FA corner OR not be able to get the be in the draft. And reports made it sound that way. 

Jordy was reportedly to be good with a pay cut but how much of one? He got paid well by the Raiders. 

We offered him a pay cut. It’s on record. He declined. Rumors have it around an “embarrassing” 3M. But again that could be different from the offer Guys gave. I personally don’t think Jordy “earns” the 7M he’s getting now. 3-5M was more the range I felt he had to drop to, and he wasn’t comfortable there. 

We don't know how much Jordy would have stayed for. At that time, we also didn't know who we were going to sign. Had the Bears not matched on Fuller, for example, what would things look like ? We also don't know if there were any other deals on the table that didn't pan out. Also, had Jordy stayed you know there would have been some obligation to start him. Driver's last year was sad, and may have played a part in the thinking.  I'm sure we also wanted to release Jordy asap out of respect for him so he had time to pursue the best situation. Sometimes you have to close one door so you can open another. Hindsight is wayyyy too sketchy on this one. If our offense struggles with Adams, Cobb, Graham, and the player yet to be determined, it won't be because we didn't re-sign Jordy

4 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

"They clearly just wanted to move on from Jordy" 

We don't know Allison is the guy they are looking at to start right now but even he ran better than Jordy did last year.

5 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I'm not sure anyone including the Packers' FO thinks that Geronimo Allison is anything more than a serviceable QB.

Archived