Packers Off-season Mini-Camp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

20 hours ago, Stevein2012 said:

"They clearly just wanted to move on from Jordy" 

We don't know Allison is the guy they are looking at to start right now but even he ran better than Jordy did last year.

Jordy vastly outproduced Allison by every measurement including per snap production.

Cutting Jordy sure as **** looked like a guy who dumped his 6 girlfriend the night before prom thinking he was going to do better, only to get rejected by the pretty girls so he ended up with a 4.

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

Jordy vastly outproduced Allison by every measurement including per snap production.

Cutting Jordy sure as **** looked like a guy who dumped his 6 girlfriend the night before prom thinking he was going to do better, only to get rejected by the pretty girls so he ended up with a 4.

I know no one is going to change your mind, but I just wanted to chime in and say I think you're underestimating the addition of Jimmy Graham.

55 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

I know no one is going to change your mind, but I just wanted to chime in and say I think you're underestimating the addition of Jimmy Graham.

You can have Jimmy Graham without needing to start a late round rookie or bottom of the roster caliber WR on the outside. 

I think the people who are expecting an elite, pre- Seattle Jimmy Graham are sadly mistaken.  NOTHING he did last year would show that he's the guy who was running up and down the field in New Orleans.  He looked old, broken down and struggled to get any sort of separation. 

Time will tell if he can just snap his fingers and go back to being the 1200 yard, 16 TD player he was 5 years and about a half dozen lower body injuries ago. 

We're now going into the third consecutive season in which we've added an aging vet at TE.  Hopefully the oldest and most broken down of the 3 is the right answer.

37 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

We got younger, cheaper and used that money to sign Graham, Wilkerson and Tramon. What's there to complain about?

36 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Feels more like realizing that the person you've been with for years isn't the same person you first met. You two have been growing apart and, even though it's the night before prom, it's for the best that your both part ways and start fresh. Even though you might not find "the one" right away, it's better than forcing a relationship that isn't working anymore. 

46 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

We got younger, cheaper and used that money to sign Graham, Wilkerson and Tramon. What's there to complain about?

I’m getting the feeling that people expect to have all pros at every single position. This has been a pretty successful offseason, and people are acting like we’ve done nothing significant.

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Still working through some unresolved issues? :)

1 hour ago, SSG said:

You can have Jimmy Graham without needing to start a late round rookie or bottom of the roster caliber WR on the outside. I think the people who are expecting an elite, pre- Seattle Jimmy Graham are sadly mistaken.  NOTHING he did last year would show that he's the guy who was running up and down the field in New Orleans.  He looked old, broken down and struggled to get any sort of separation. Time will tell if he can just snap his fingers and go back to being the 1200 yard, 16 TD player he was 5 years and about a half dozen lower body injuries ago. We're now going into the third consecutive season in which we've added an aging vet at TE.  Hopefully the oldest and most broken down of the 3 is the right answer.

If Graham stays healthy, I wager he'll do just fine playing with AR.

2 hours ago, SSG said:

I think the people who are expecting an elite, pre- Seattle Jimmy Graham are sadly mistaken.  NOTHING he did last year would show that he's the guy who was running up and down the field in New Orleans.  He looked old, broken down and struggled to get any sort of separation. 

Time will tell if he can just snap his fingers and go back to being the 1200 yard, 16 TD player he was 5 years and about a half dozen lower body injuries ago. 

I felt exactly as you do.  His (Graham) days of stretching seams are long gone.  I admittedly only saw Seattle play when they played GB.  I noticed nothing special about Graham.  But I did see a QB running for his life and a very poor offense.  Then I looked up Graham's stats, convinced that he disappeared while in Seattle.

He had 48 catches, 605 yards and 2 TD's in 2015, his first in Seattle.

He had 65 catches, 923 yards and 6 TDs in 2016.

He had 57 for 520 yards and 10 TD's in 2017.

I know Wilson was running for his life last year.

I was shocked to see that he put up 900+ yards in 2016.

I'm not going to be shocked to see him eclipse 850 yards in GB with Rodgers.  I think our line and our offensive play in general will be just that much better than Seattle.

He may not be the seam stretcher, but I'm thinking Aaron finds ways to make him uber effective.

1 hour ago, SSG said:

You can have Jimmy Graham without needing to start a late round rookie or bottom of the roster caliber WR on the outside. 

We're now going into the third consecutive season in which we've added an aging vet at TE.  Hopefully the oldest and most broken down of the 3 is the right answer.

TBH it seems like we had it right the first time.

Our WR group had speed issues for a while now and it was difficult to improve upon that with Nelson, Cobb and Adams firmly entrenched as starters. For the first time in a while we have the opportunity to get quicker and stretch defences more often. That would open up more underneath routes for Cobb and Graham.

Allison isn't solving that issue. In fact we're getting slower. I have no problems with him as a depth guy but as a starting WR...I would.

I never understood this mentality of not wanting to do better than the likeable, try-hard guy on the roster. We should be striving for more. We should be wanting our draft picks to take the spot, to not even consider this possibility is just bizarre behavior.

I find the stauch Allison defenders a bit mentally unhinged tbh :P

29 minutes ago, Chili said:

I never understood this mentality of not wanting to do better than the likeable, try-hard guy on the roster. We should be striving for more. We should be wanting our draft picks to take the spot, to not even consider this possibility is just bizarre behavior.

I find the stauch Allison defenders a bit mentally unhinged tbh :P

I must be missing the "unhinged" thread cause I've not read comment from one poster who would be adverse to the best WR's getting on the field - i.e. - welcoming competition.

4 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

1. We could have signed every single one of those players by restructuring Jordy down to 6 million and still kept our standard roll over.

2. We cut a 33 year old WR to sign a 32 year old TE, a 35 year old CB, and a 29 year old defensive lineman who hasn't been the same in two years since he blew up his leg. Let's cut the age nonsense out of this discussion. 

4 hours ago, Ham Sammich said:

Feels more like realizing that the person you've been with for years isn't the same person you first met. You two have been growing apart and, even though it's the night before prom, it's for the best that your both part ways and start fresh. Even though you might not find "the one" right away, it's better than forcing a relationship that isn't working anymore. 

It's senior prom. You've got 4 more weeks of seeing this girl before you both graduate and go to college in completely different states. You've got three options:

1. You take her to prom and don't break up with her. (Suck it up and pay him the full year)

2. You have a discussion like adults, and stay friends while still going to prom together (Restructure Jordy's deal his final year)

3. You can tell her you're not interested anymore and try and chase a cuter girl with your newly found freedom (Cut Jordy and try a free agent receiver)

+++

You can do #3, but everybody's going to laugh at you if you strike out in free agency. Which we totally did at that spot.

Archived