Packers Off-season Mini-Camp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Me? Blind faith? Not at all - but I do recognize that they're the professionals. That they have access to both the player and his data / health information. That their decision is founded on more facts available to anybody on this forum. Thats just acceptance of simple logic. Are (or will) they be right?

Cant say. Neither of us can at this juncture. 

Not you, just a lot of that going on this year compared to the past where second guessing was far more prevalent.

If you told me that we could know for a fact they thought he was done I would take back anything I said and lean on their assessment, it's just I'm not convinced that was their assessment, that's all.

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It's a Packer football forum. We just cut arguably the second most iconic Packer of the last decade.

There should definitely be some discussion on this board about whether the team was correct in that decision.

AG - you're pointing out the obvious.

We've been discussing the matter for some days now.

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It's a Packer football forum. We just cut arguably the second most iconic Packer of the last decade.

There should definitely be some discussion on this board about whether the team was correct in that decision.

It's a pointless argument until October. 

I could say the combo of Allison/Moore/ESB is going to be far more productive than Jordy would've been and I can't be proven right or wrong.

Jordy had no future here, I'm excited to see what some young blood can accomplish.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

It's a pointless argument until October. 

I could say the combo of Allison/Moore/ESB is going to be far more productive than Jordy would've been and I can't be proven right or wrong.

Jordy had no future here, I'm excited to see what some young blood can accomplish.

Let's be honest, everything we discuss here is pointless lol

22 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Let's be honest, everything we discuss here is pointless lol

There's only one football thing that actually matters in the context of real life, and that is Jay Cutler's ambivalent interception face. 

8 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

There's only one football thing that actually matters in the context of real life, and that is Jay Cutler's ambivalent interception face. 

I did not see that coming lol

Since we're talking about pointless

I need better hobbies. I'm also sitting in a Discord chat watching people run through the theories on the next Battlefield game. And watching a Brazilian show with dubbed English on Netflix. The good news is I just went and bought a bunch of candy, sunflower seeds and mountain dew. That should help.

25 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

I did not see that coming lol

Since we're talking about pointless

I need better hobbies. I'm also sitting in a Discord chat watching people run through the theories on the next Battlefield game. And watching a Brazilian show with dubbed English on Netflix. The good news is I just went and bought a bunch of candy, sunflower seeds and mountain dew. That should help.

Tell me more tho.

20 minutes ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

It is called Battlefield: Earth.  I heard that they got John Travolta and Forrest Whitticker for voice talent.

There's probably guys on Reddit who will post this as a leak now lol

3 hours ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Do you think that was their primary though? Like hey let's cut Jordy and use Allison and draft 3 day WRs to replace him?

It just depended how the draft fell, I think if they liked a guy enough in the 2nd round to take them they would have. I think they're fine with what they have now despite the fandoms uncertainty with day 3 WRs.

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

If this team decided that it was going to start Geronimo Allison (or one of 3 Day-3 rookies) rather than Jordy Nelson in order to save 4 million in cap space this year, that seems like a very questionable decision to me.

Better?

I do think it was questionable as well, i do wish we kept him. Maybe it was more than just saving money though, they most likely were thinking his days at producing at a high level were over and wanted someone different.

2 hours ago, Gopackgonerd said:

It just depended how the draft fell, I think if they liked a guy enough in the 2nd round to take them they would have. I think they're fine with what they have now despite the fandoms uncertainty with day 3 WRs.

Yeah I'm just saying I don't think this was plan A. I agree they have went higher or even signed a guy. I also think they're fine with it as it stands, no panic or anything. But this wasn't really the plan I don't think, even if it hasn't become anything near a disaster by any means.

"The beauty of the special teams portion of the competition is that all three receivers enter the fray with similar levels of experience, which is to say they have virtually none. In college, skill players atop the depth chart rarely play special teams, especially after their first or second seasons, and this year’s rookie are no exception.

Valdes-Scantling returned two punts for 39 yards in a five-year career split between North Carolina State (2013-14) and South Florida (2015-17. He finished with one tackle to his name.  

St. Brown, who played at Notre Dame, returned one punt for 18 yards as a freshman and blocked a punt that led to a TD in the same game against USC. He spent his final two seasons as Notre Dame's leading receiver and didn't play on special teams.

Moore, who is a Missouri product, played zero snaps on special teams in four years"

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/05/14/packers-rookie-wide-receivers-face-special-teams-challenge/608482002/

50 minutes ago, Leader said:

"The beauty of the special teams portion of the competition is that all three receivers enter the fray with similar levels of experience, which is to say they have virtually none. In college, skill players atop the depth chart rarely play special teams, especially after their first or second seasons, and this year’s rookie are no exception.

Valdes-Scantling returned two punts for 39 yards in a five-year career split between North Carolina State (2013-14) and South Florida (2015-17. He finished with one tackle to his name.  

St. Brown, who played at Notre Dame, returned one punt for 18 yards as a freshman and blocked a punt that led to a TD in the same game against USC. He spent his final two seasons as Notre Dame's leading receiver and didn't play on special teams.

Moore, who is a Missouri product, played zero snaps on special teams in four years"

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/05/14/packers-rookie-wide-receivers-face-special-teams-challenge/608482002/

Not all that worried about that.  Jeff Janis played very little on special teams while in college as well.  He had 8 career punt/ kick returns and 4 career tackles his 4 years at SVSU. 

13 hours ago, NormSizedMidget said:

This is what bothers me: okay if you really believe he's just done and what we drafted and Allison can replace him (I really really disagree) and you aren't even going to spend that money, why cut him so early? I have to believe they had a plan for that money because of that timing.

I thought the plan was to go after high end free agents.  I think they went after Robinson, hard and ultimately he didn't want to come here.  I think they went after the corner, Johnson, hard and he too didn't want to come.  As was posted here, I thought GB made a mistake by releasing Jordy prior to having those free agents commit to GB.  

13 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I guess I just strongly disagree that Jordy isn't worth more than the money that was most likely on the table.

If Jordy restructures down to 5 million, that means we only spent 2.7 million more in cap space than we did in our current spot with his 2.3 million dollar dead cap. Just seems like it makes sense to spend that money to me. Obviously we don't know what was on the table, but I can't help but think Jordy takes 5 to stay in GB rather than 7 to move across the country. Maybe I'm just wrong in reading between these lines on the numbers.

Is there any situation that you prefer Adams-Cobb-Graham-Allison over Adams-Cobb-Graham-Nelson? Maybe in the year 2020 I could see it, but in 2018 I'm going to take the latter every day of the week. 

I hadn't seen it put out there like this yet.  You are 100% correct.

What frustrated me concerning Nelson was how much it differed from Driver's situation.  Another iconic WR, beloved by fans.  He got his swan song and I'll maintain it was money well spent.  They should have done that with Jordy.

They wouldn't have been stunting anyone's "growth" at WR.  The cupboard is bare, there is no ascending WR ready to take the next step.  Allison is what he is.  Davis isn't a pro, Clark is a project, Yancey was a draft day reach and mistake and the 3 young kids are just that...young kids.

In case you needed a refreshed on Jay Cutler's interception face....  Here it is along with a great meme...

Image result for Jay Cutler interception face

Image result for Jay Cutler interception face

Archived