Packers Off-season Mini-Camp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

If any of you fellas attend TC can you tell me how Conor Sheehy (#67) looks?   He is my sister's nephew.  He is a DL from Wisconsin.  His chances of making the 53 aren't great but he could make the PS.

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

So basically Geronimo it is... Why did we cut Jordy again?

Athletically there isn't much of a difference in pads anymore. Actually quick twitch wise at their respective stages in careers I give the edge easily to Geronimo. He's got some sudden shake to him.

You're missing the Rodgers - Jordy telepathy and the zone savvy but that's about it.

No surprises from me if Geronimo is a 60 catch 800 yard receiver this year after watching him. Left camp with no urge to sign Dez/Maclin/Decker and I bet Gute and Mac feel the same way.

7 minutes ago, Pugger said:

If any of you fellas attend TC can you tell me how Conor Sheehy (#67) looks?   He is my sister's nephew.  He is a DL from Wisconsin.  His chances of making the 53 aren't great but he could make the PS.

The DL practices on the opposite side of the field from where I was so unfortunately I don't have much to report on them.

If just one of these receivers we drafted late is a hit, we're in great shape at the position.  Don't get the worrying about WR really.  Jimmy Graham is the best receiving threat we've had in Aaron's time here other than Jordy's prime years.  That's gonna make Cobb better, and Cobb better makes Davante better.

1 hour ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Can MVS catch?  How did technique look when he was targeted?

More natural and better than expected actually. He really surprised me. Release at the LOS and the quick game is his weakness right now. He's really only a 5 or 7 step drop receiver right now.

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

If just one of these receivers we drafted late is a hit, we're in great shape at the position.  Don't get the worrying about WR really.  Jimmy Graham is the best receiving threat we've had in Aaron's time here other than Jordy's prime years.  That's gonna make Cobb better, and Cobb better makes Davante better.

Davante is better than Graham is and that's no knock on Jimmy. I'm going to go ahead and say he's the best 3 step drop WR Rodgers has ever had. He runs the best slant I've ever seen up close. He got King so good on one at the 5 yardline that King was totally flat footed, like frozen in awe , he just turned around and shook Davante's hand. 

I think Davante's sophomore season dug him a hole that he's still trying to get out of with some fans. I'm telling you all he's a legit #1 with some downright special gifts. His releases and ability to highpoint are top 3 in the league. He's long speed away from him being in Julio/Brown/OBJ discussion. He doesn't have the ability to beat a guy and then gain further separation. When he wins you have to throw it, because the fast DBs can close the gap.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Davante is better than Graham is and that's no knock on Jimmy. I'm going to go ahead and say he's the best 3 step drop WR Rodgers has ever had. He runs the best slant I've ever seen up close. He got King so good on one at the 5 yardline that King was totally flat footed, like frozen in awe , he just turned around and shook Davante's hand. 

I think Davante's sophomore season dug him a hole that he's still trying to get out of with some fans. I'm telling you all he's a legit #1 with some downright special gifts. His releases and ability to highpoint are top 3 in the league. He's long speed away from him being in Julio/Brown/OBJ discussion. He doesn't have the ability to beat a guy and then gain further separation. When he wins you have to throw it, because the fast DBs can close the gap.

I believe and agree with all of this, but he still struggles with drops and that long speed.  Jimmy Graham really doesn't have those problems. 

I didn't see much of the LBs and DL all day so I have nothing really to report there other than general observations. Biegel and Fackrell seem to have a confidence to them this year, I think Pettine/Moss have built them up. Might be why Moss blows off the media, if you don't give them any answers maybe they just don't write any stories and you can isolate them and build them up. Who knows, but they looked confident in the team session and I read Fackrell had some real nice 1-1's.

Odom and Donnerson are huge OLBs. Odom especially. Guy is probably 6-4 265. Forgotten man really but he blew up preseason last year, which is why we claimed him. Hopefully one of those two showed something.

Saw nothing of Gilbert, Hughes, Perry or Clay. Really never focused on them.

Bulaga was out there doing rehab work  for most of the day. Looks like he's itching to get out there.

As far as the OL go. Spriggs has a gut, that's a good thing. We heard last year he gained weight, this year we can see it. Still body beautiful out there for an OL though. When they do Combine drills out there he just makes them all, Bahk included, look silly. Campen probably gets tingly feelings out there looking at him, if he could just put it together on Sundays man you'd have something there. Just a clinic of what half speed OL drills are supposed to look like.

Taylor and McCray props to those self made guys. Just compact and hard to move. Nothing they do looks pretty. They're just strong as hell and built with a perfect center of gravity. 

Bahk is the unquestioned leader of that OL room. They all look to him out there.

None of the UDFAs stood out. I would say Pankey and Bell are way ahead of them. Lucas Patrick is good enough to get you through a game or two.

Williams and Monty are who they've shown themselves to be. Williams it one cut and hit it, likes to work in that cloud of dust scrum he creates and fall forward after 4-5 yards. Monty runs like LeVeon. Sits there at the LOS and patiently waits for something to open. If nothing does he's screwed. I thought Mays had a really nice day taking the reps in Jones absence. Plays like Williams, one cut and go. #34 is just a guy.

TEs, It's going to be Graham, Lewis and Kendricks. Not much to see here. Byrd has an outside shot, but he is small. 6'2 240 is being gracious but there's no doubt he can move. Maybe another PS year for him. Tonyan, Rader and Smith are camp fodder. Tonyan can move too but he looks like a WR. 6'5 230 maybe. Can't see him blocking with a good result. Graham actually pancaked Spriggs on a combo block drill, he can block if he actually puts full effort into it.

Kizer > Hundley. Brett is who he is. Excellent in every drill, throws a great ball. Put him in team drills and he doesn't trust it. Shame, there's a heck of a QB there if he did. Kizer trusts it and will throw it. He threw some darts out there. Hundley is more refined though, excited to see Kizer with Mac. He needs that refinement.

DB wise Jackson and Alexander keep getting tested and taking there lumps, but those two are athletes. Alexander has more twitch than any player I've seen up close and Jackson has to be the most flexible player on the team. When they were warming up the amount he could stretch and bend was almost contortionist-esque. King is back to being in your face, jamming guys at the LOS, good to see. He's ready to be #1. Tramon and House are steady vets. They'll play and coach this year. Pipkins is ahead of Rollins, Hawkins and Brown so far for the #6 spot. Rollins needs to be the 4th safety. Marwin Evans is a better ST player though so it'd be interesting to see who they would keep. Jones and Brice just want to hit people and get in fights. Jones went after Graham when he was complaining to a ref about wanting a DPI. It's clear Pettine wants them to have an attitude out there. I'm a bit worried about those two with the new hitting rules.

JK Scott is a GOAT punter. Mason Crosby is a GOAT silver fox.

Archived