Packers Off-season Mini-Camp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

In years past, the Packers carried versatile guys like Jarrett Bush and then Micah Hyde who could handle some CB and some Safety roles

Makes it easier to set the 53 roster and even more importantly the 46 actives on Sunday.

IF Rollins is recovered, he's be a decent fit in that role, the caveat is that he carried only about 60 reps on STs over the last 2 seasons

I'll be more than a little surprised to see Rollins on the final roster.  IMO it's already a given that he's not someone the team wants lining up outside, so he'll need a heck of a camp from the slot to have any kind of chance.

1st day in pads for the Packers

here's an article from 2015 by former Packer Matt Bowen talking about how the players use to rig their pads, jerseys and gloves

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/ten-ways-nfl-players-rig-uniforms/story?id=35129957

Double-sided tape on shoulder pads

"The equipment managers layer the shoulder pads with this double-sided tape and squeeze the jersey on top. The result? It acts like glue for the jersey, and there isn't much to latch onto unless you want to lose a couple of finger nails in the process. This stuff is a must for the big boys up front, linebackers that are asked to defeat blocks and even for defensive backs. The new Nike digs have made the jerseys fit much better than back in the day, but the guys I talk to in the league are still relying on double-sided tape. There's holding on every play in a pro game, so why not look for a little edge? "

52 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I'll be more than a little surprised to see Rollins on the final roster.  IMO it's already a given that he's not someone the team wants lining up outside, so he'll need a heck of a camp from the slot to have any kind of chance.

Seems like IF he's healthy he could be a serviceable back end slot guy and/or safety as well as a STs contributor. I think he's best if you can keep the ball in front of him. Not a bad guy to have around if he has a good showing in camp.

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I mean, we'll probably carry 10 DBs.

HHCD, Brice, Jones are locks at safety.

King, Tramon, House, Alexander, Jackson are locks at CB. 

Not like Rollins is going to be massively out-talented by anybody else on the roster if he's bounced back from injury most of the way.

That's why if he makes it, I think it's because of versatility and ability to play safety where we are a bit lighter depth-wise. As a true cover CB, I'd put him behind the 5 locks as well as Hawkins and Pip. 

52 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

Seems like IF he's healthy he could be a serviceable back end slot guy and/or safety as well as a STs contributor. I think he's best if you can keep the ball in front of him. Not a bad guy to have around if he has a good showing in camp.

Last year Rollins was the talk of camp.  He got hurt and now everyone jumped off of that bandwagon.  I'd like to see what the guy has to offer as a hybrid player.  Seems to fit his skill set really well.  He obviously has the ability to create turnovers.  I've really enjoyed his physicality.  He's simply not fast enough to be that boundary corner for 70 snaps a game.  I don't see him as any less of an athlete than Burnett or Hyde, though.  Maybe playing that Jack of all trades role will revive his career.

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Fackrell, who couldn't beat a UDFA Olineman in 1 on 1s in the last 2 years, just beat Bakh. Pretty sure this means we are going to the Super Bowl.

I'm much more excited to see what M Adams brings to the table this year.  If he could jump into the rotation and be productive that would go a long way for taking pressure off of Daniels and Wilkerson.  

I've ways thought that Fackrell fit the SAM backer role a lot better because he does move well for his size.  Hopefully our new DC gets the most out of him.

Archived