Packers Off-season Mini-Camp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

8 hours ago, Norm said:

Who the **** is Greer Martini and why is he already on #1 st and getting 2nd team d reps lol
Nobody post until this is explained

It's early in training camp and they're checking out one of the newest/youngest racehorses by letting him stretch out his legs.
As for "who he is" - you do realize the internet has a wealth of data and information for research right? Why dont you inform us who he is cause I dont know squat about him either :)

MVS and EQ definitely outclassed JMon yesterday. MVS they're just letting him run and make plays out there. He was running outs that I was hoping they'd let Janis run all day long so that was refreshing. The guy is legit fast in pads as well. He's really raw underneath, the only way I can see him contributing this year is post/go/corner. He knows how to release and stack and you'd be hard pressed to find a DB in the league he can't get behind.

EQ is just big and athletic. He's way more complete than MVS but not quite the same top end speed. DBs were having trouble jamming him at the LOS. They really didn't give him the same opportunity to shine as MVS yesterday. His 1 on 1 routes were a 5 yard hitch and a slant. It was no contest having Herb Waters try to cover him on that slant. In team he caught a few traffic balls on crossers, which he looks real smooth running. Kizer likes giving him opportunities, he had one goaline fade that he misjudged a bit, was going to high point it and it was more of an over the shoulder to the back pylon type throw. Hopefully he'll get his chances to show what he can do deep.

JMon is a Davante clone in the way he runs routes and looks athletically. He even wears the same white hoody undershirt as Davante. He needs to soak up as much as he can from him as that's his best way to make it in the league. He'll be a very similar player. He was having some drop issues yesterday and wasn't targeted much in team but as far as any breaking route goes, his routes are slightly better than EQ and much more advanced than MVS.

All 3 are easily behind Geronimo though. He's full of confidence and looks like a vet out there running with the #1s. He knows his limitations and how he will have to get open with them and just looked smooth as silk. King, Tramon and House all lost reps to him. I will say the window shrinks quite fast with him, he got someone one a double move in team, might have King or Alexander and Rodgers was looking elsewhere, by the time he came back to it the DB had made-up the gap. The play speed definitely says 4.65, but the crispness and explosion of his routes tells me he'll have no issues getting open for some looks this year. Only thing that bugs me is that he still looks like he hasn't put on a pound since he walked in the door 3 years ago.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

MVS and EQ definitely outclassed JMon yesterday. MVS they're just letting him run and make plays out there. He was running outs that I was hoping they'd let Janis run all day long so that was refreshing. The guy is legit fast in pads as well. He's really raw underneath, the only way I can see him contributing this year is post/go/corner. He knows how to release and stack and you'd be hard pressed to find a DB in the league he can't get behind.

EQ is just big and athletic. He's way more complete than MVS but not quite the same top end speed. DBs were having trouble jamming him at the LOS. They really didn't give him the same opportunity to shine as MVS yesterday. His 1 on 1 routes were a 5 yard hitch and a slant. It was no contest having Herb Waters try to cover him on that slant. In team he caught a few traffic balls on crossers, which he looks real smooth running. Kizer likes giving him opportunities, he had one goaline fade that he misjudged a bit, was going to high point it and it was more of an over the shoulder to the back pylon type throw. Hopefully he'll get his chances to show what he can do deep.

JMon is a Davante clone in the way he runs routes and looks athletically. He even wears the same white hoody undershirt as Davante. He needs to soak up as much as he can from him as that's his best way to make it in the league. He'll be a very similar player. He was having some drop issues yesterday and wasn't targeted much in team but as far as any breaking route goes, his routes are slightly better than EQ and much more advanced than MVS.

All 3 are easily behind Geronimo though. He's full of confidence and looks like a vet out there running with the #1s. He knows his limitations and how he will have to get open with them and just looked smooth as silk. King, Tramon and House all lost reps to him. I will say the window shrinks quite fast with him, he got someone one a double move in team, might have King or Alexander and Rodgers was looking elsewhere, by the time he came back to it the DB had made-up the gap. The play speed definitely says 4.65, but the crispness and explosion of his routes tells me he'll have no issues getting open for some looks this year. Only thing that bugs me is that he still looks like he hasn't put on a pound since he walked in the door 3 years ago.

Thank you! Had not heard anything on EQ prior to this. Any word on if Yancey is showing life? 

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

So basically Geronimo it is... Why did we cut Jordy again?

15 hours ago, Norm said:

Who the **** is Greer Martini and why is he already on #1 st and getting 2nd team d reps lol

Early reports said he was doing VERY well in camp. Not surprised they're bumping him up.

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Can MVS catch?  How did technique look when he was targeted?

8 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Can MVS catch?  How did technique look when he was targeted?

Somebody mentioned (Moretti?) that he had a Martavis Bryant look to him  -  which works just fine for me. Not every player need be fully polished and perfect for them to contribute - often in a big way - and if this guy can give us what Bryant gives the PITT offense? He'll do us just fine.

48 minutes ago, Leader said:

Somebody mentioned (Moretti?) that he had a Martavis Bryant look to him  -  which works just fine for me. Not every player need be fully polished and perfect for them to contribute - often in a big way - and if this guy can give us what Bryant gives the PITT offense? He'll do us just fine.

Suspensions?  Isn't that part of what Bryant gave Pitt?--

-- just kidding

I was asking about hands because it has always seemed to me that unreliable hands causes Rodgers to not target the player, and therefore they lose reps.  I love the speed on MVS, but on that under thrown ball, he didn't do a very good job of adjusting and then outcompeting the much smaller CB for the ball.

If he has that kind of speed and it turns out he has good hands- then we may have a guy who can develop into a playmaker.

10 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Suspensions?  Isn't that part of what Bryant gave Pitt?--

-- just kidding

I was asking about hands because it has always seemed to me that unreliable hands causes Rodgers to not target the player, and therefore they lose reps.  I love the speed on MVS, but on that under thrown ball, he didn't do a very good job of adjusting and then outcompeting the much smaller CB for the ball.

If he has that kind of speed and it turns out he has good hands- then we may have a guy who can develop into a playmaker.

It's way early yet and I'm not making any judgements based on a single pass. Bryant isnt known for having great hands or being a precise route runner but he's been capable of stretching the field and taking XYZ DBs with him. The guy with the hands on PITT has been (and is) AB. Cant say I follow PITT all too closely - but remember the last time I played Fantasy Football was when Bryant was just breaking in - and suddenly Big Ben's numbers jumped off the charts cause he was chucking it deep to this kid.

AR doesnt require a guy to have hands of glue - he just needs the WR to know where to be (and get there) on a given route and not have hands of stone. Yes - I'm thinking of you Mr. Janis.  Hopefully, MVS wont be like Mr. Janis.

2 hours ago, moretti19 said:

Thank you! Had not heard anything on EQ prior to this. Any word on if Yancey is showing life? 

Yancey is MIA, so is Trevor Davis (the speed is there and his routes aren't bad, but he has Rodgers/Janis syndrome, he just doesn't trust him.) Adonis Jennings and Kumerow (who apparently had a hell of a Friday) didn't do much either. The best guy of the rest was #1 Lewis. I know we just brought him in. Can tell he was a RB/WR. Routes weren't the best and over the shoulder catching was shaky but there is lots and lots of YAC potential there. Very shifty guy.

Archived