Packers Off-season Mini-Camp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

On 7/28/2018 at 1:53 PM, Cheech said:

Last year Rollins was the talk of camp.  He got hurt and now everyone jumped off of that bandwagon.  I'd like to see what the guy has to offer as a hybrid player.  Seems to fit his skill set really well.  He obviously has the ability to create turnovers.  I've really enjoyed his physicality.  He's simply not fast enough to be that boundary corner for 70 snaps a game.  I don't see him as any less of an athlete than Burnett or Hyde, though.  Maybe playing that Jack of all trades role will revive his career.

People were off the bandwagon long before he got hurt.  He was AWFUL long before the injury.  The Atlanta game and Dallas games stick out in my memory.  TC wins are nice but in the long run they mean very little.  Far too often we hear about how great a player is in TC only to watch him fall on his face when the bullets are real and he's playing actual NFL players and not camp bodies.  

10 hours ago, Leader said:

It's early in training camp and they're checking out one of the newest/youngest racehorses by letting him stretch out his legs.
As for "who he is" - you do realize the internet has a wealth of data and information for research right? Why dont you inform us who he is cause I dont know squat about him either :)

I know who he is. It feels pretty weird that a guy who made the team as a camp invite who barely started in college is running number one specials and getting second team reps

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

No surprises from me if Geronimo is a 60 catch 800 yard receiver this year after watching him. 

I hope you're right but I don't see it based on Allison's past performances. He's a guy that has lived off of Rodgers' scrambling drill, he can't create or win one on one. Every team's No. 3 CB locks Allison down without a thought of help IMO. Again, I hope I'm wrong because it sounds like the team is going to ride him at No. 3, absent a rookie jumping out, at least early in the season. 

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

I hope you're right but I don't see it based on Allison's past performances. He's a guy that has lived off of Rodgers' scrambling drill, he can't create or win one on one. Every team's No. 3 CB locks Allison down without a thought of help IMO. Again, I hope I'm wrong because it sounds like the team is going to ride him at No. 3, absent a rookie jumping out, at least early in the season. 

I agree.  I'm not buying all the hype that Allison can suddenly beat any DB across from him.  I'd be extremely surprised fi Allison develops into the high end #2 WR that's being predicted.  There are very few DBs in the NFL that he's going to beat and he doesn't have the athletic ability to get consistent separation.  

It's a lot like 2015 when Aaron Rodgers had show box size openings because of James Jones's limitations.  Geronimo Alllsion IMO is a substantial downgrade from the 2015 of James Jones unless he made a substantial amount of improvement almost overnight.  

2 minutes ago, SSG said:

I agree.  I'm not buying all the hype that Allison can suddenly beat any DB across from him.  I'd be extremely surprised fi Allison develops into the high end #2 WR that's being predicted.  There are very few DBs in the NFL that he's going to beat and he doesn't have the athletic ability to get consistent separation.  

It's a lot like 2015 when Aaron Rodgers had show box size openings because of James Jones's limitations.  Geronimo Alllsion IMO is a substantial downgrade from the 2015 of James Jones unless he made a substantial amount of improvement almost overnight.  

Damn...dude. So he's not only a downgrade from the 2018 version of Jordy - he's also a downgrade from 2015 James Jones?
How far back he gonna slip? 1969 Boyd Dowler? :)

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I believe and agree with all of this, but he still struggles with drops and that long speed.  Jimmy Graham really doesn't have those problems. 

Graham had a ton of targets last year but he had the second most drops buckaroo

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

Yeah but he had Russell Wilson throwing to him.

Does he throw with some weird reversed rotation that is impossible to catch? Haha. They aren't super liberal with drop stats, unless you use PFF. They pretty much are outright drops when they are counted.

17 minutes ago, FAH1223 said:

I don't consider Geronimo a viable option. He was a surprise a couple years ago but that's due to teams not having tape on him... they have plenty now and he's no more than a 4th WR.

I don't understand this. He had 12 receptions as a rookie (17 inc. playoffs) then 23 last year. He got a ton of snaps at the end of 2016 because of our WR injuries. I'll believe it when I see it with Geronimo but it's not like he was productive early then got "figured out".

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Damn...dude. So he's not only a downgrade from the 2018 version of Jordy - he's also a downgrade from 2015 James Jones?
How far back he gonna slip? 1969 Boyd Dowler? :)

Yeah, IMO he's a large downgrade from the 2015 version of James Jones.  He's as bad of an athlete as there is in the league at his position and has shown very little upside in his 2 years in the league.  IMO Athletically, he's a lot like the 2015 James Jones but he's doesn't have the experience, chemistry or talent that Jones had that season.

I think the high end #2 WR projections are crazy and frankly I don't believe their based on anything that has happened on the field.   I hate it but but hey, Aaron Rodgers made Jarrett Boykin work so I'm sure he can use Gerinimo Allison who's the same talent level and the same caliber of athlete.  Hopefully it works our better than it did the last season we needed Boykin to be a NFL starter.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Yeah but he had Russell Wilson throwing to him.

Did you watch one snap of Jimmy Graham's 2017 season?  I'm highly doubting it if you are blaming his lack of production on Wilson.  Jimmy Graham looked like a shell of his former self as he was routinely covered by LBs and struggled terribly to get separation.  Seattle couldn't have been happier to move on given how worthless he was between the 20's (both as a receiver and a low effort blocker).

It's funny to me that Jimmy Graham's lack of production is being blamed on an elite, pro Bowl QB yet Jordy Nelson's lack of production in 2017 is solely based on his lack of skills.  2018 Graham,  who was awful last year is being called the b best receiving weapon Aaron Rodgers has ever had.  xD

3 hours ago, SSG said:

People were off the bandwagon long before he got hurt.  He was AWFUL long before the injury.  The Atlanta game and Dallas games stick out in my memory.  TC wins are nice but in the long run they mean very little.  Far too often we hear about how great a player is in TC only to watch him fall on his face when the bullets are real and he's playing actual NFL players and not camp bodies.  

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Bolt/Quinten-Rollins-Green-Bay-Packers-has-outplayed-every-cornerback-at-training-camp-105754272/

Less than a year ago his position coach said he'd been outplaying everyone.  His DC said he was playing really well in the "star" position.  TC, yes, but it says enough about his ability that his coaches were ready to put him in a playmaking position last year.  

Again - I'm not saying he's going to be anything more than a versatile bench piece.  He absolutely has the ability, size and athleticism to get it done as a nickel or dime DB.  Having a 9th or 10th DB on the roster that can play S/CB is what most teams would be looking for.  

My guess is that the following DB's make the 53: 

CB: King, Williams, Jackson, Alexander, Pipkins

S: HaHa, Brice, Jones, Evans, Rollins

If not Rollins, one would have to make an argument for Waters, Goodson, Brown, or House.  I wouldn't take any of those guys over Rollins.  Whitehead at safety would likely be his main competition and Ted has taken 11 DB's more often than not in recent history.  

Archived