Packers Off-season Mini-Camp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

1 minute ago, Cheech said:

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Bolt/Quinten-Rollins-Green-Bay-Packers-has-outplayed-every-cornerback-at-training-camp-105754272/

Less than a year ago his position coach said he'd been outplaying everyone.  His DC said he was playing really well in the "star" position.  TC, yes, but it says enough about his ability that his coaches were ready to put him in a playmaking position last year.  

Again - I'm not saying he's going to be anything more than a versatile bench piece.  He absolutely has the ability, size and athleticism to get it done as a nickel or dime DB.  Having a 9th or 10th DB on the roster that can play S/CB is what most teams would be looking for.  

My guess is that the following DB's make the 53: 

CB: King, Williams, Jackson, Alexander, Pipkins

S: HaHa, Brice, Jones, Evans, Rollins

If not Rollins, one would have to make an argument for Waters, Goodson, Brown, or House.  I wouldn't take any of those guys over Rollins.  Whitehead at safety would likely be his main competition and Ted has taken 11 DB's more often than not in recent history.  

Hard to see House not making this roster

6 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Hard to see House not making this roster

Hard to see him making it.  His contract isn't a barrier.  Neither is his film from last year.  His replacement was drafted in the 2nd round this year.  Unless there are injuries in camp, very few people would be surprised to see him cut.  

When Geronimo plays 60% of a games snaps with Aaron Rodgers as QB he's averaged 5 catches and 67 yards a game. That's 80 catches and 1075 yards for a season. 

His biggest knocks are that he isn't some household name, he's a UDFA and he got clocked at 4.65. 

All I can tell you guys is I've seen a lot of football, and there were a lot of guys out on that field that have seen 1000x more football than I have. There's a reason Rodgers, Mac, Philbin and Gute aren't picking up the phone and calling a vet right now and that's because Allison looks like a player.

4 minutes ago, Cheech said:

Hard to see him making it.  His contract isn't a barrier.  Neither is his film from last year.  His replacement was drafted in the 2nd round this year.  Unless there are injuries in camp, very few people would be surprised to see him cut.  

Have you seen our DB depth chart in Nov/Dec the last two years? You don't cut a Davon House from a football team that's striving for a championship. Even if he's your 5th corner.

1 hour ago, SSG said:

Yeah, IMO he's a large downgrade from the 2015 version of James Jones.  He's as bad of an athlete as there is in the league at his position and has shown very little upside in his 2 years in the league.  IMO Athletically, he's a lot like the 2015 James Jones but he's doesn't have the experience, chemistry or talent that Jones had that season.

I think the high end #2 WR projections are crazy and frankly I don't believe their based on anything that has happened on the field.   I hate it but but hey, Aaron Rodgers made Jarrett Boykin work so I'm sure he can use Gerinimo Allison who's the same talent level and the same caliber of athlete.  Hopefully it works our better than it did the last season we needed Boykin to be a NFL starter.

Jarrett Boykin is a lazy comparison.  I'd say he's more of a wide receiver version of Richard Rodgers.  

I'd love to see a rookie step up and take some snaps at Z.  This offense desperately needs speed at that position to take the lid off of the top and Allison isn't a guy that fills that role.  

He isn't a complete bum, though.  

He's probably the 2nd best route runner after Adams.  (I haven't see the rookies, obviously, but their highlights leave much to be desired.)  Allison isn't going to win a bunch of 1 on 1 matchups in the ISO route offense of 2015, but he can get open when you ask him to run a route within a designed play.  He's a nice red zone target and possession receiver.  He has reliable hands.  I'd be completely fine with him as a #4 or #5.  

29 minutes ago, Cheech said:

He's starting. He is currently our #2 CB.

I really hate the House hate. 

Lol.  Two seasons of having Hawkins/Dorelant/Gunter as our fourths and people are suggesting we might cut House.

I know I say some stupid **** and I don't REALLY believe 53% of what I say, but that's just full stupid. 

10 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

When Geronimo plays 60% of a games snaps with Aaron Rodgers as QB he's averaged 5 catches and 67 yards a game. That's 80 catches and 1075 yards for a season. 

His biggest knocks are that he isn't some household name, he's a UDFA and he got clocked at 4.65. 

All I can tell you guys is I've seen a lot of football, and there were a lot of guys out on that field that have seen 1000x more football than I have. There's a reason Rodgers, Mac, Philbin and Gute aren't picking up the phone and calling a vet right now and that's because Allison looks like a player.

Yeah, I'd stick to my guns on that one as well. Many get held up by his combine forty and by the fact he went undrafted.

He was one of mine that year. Just remember that much like J'Mon did Allison ran much better at his pro day(I had him at 4.53) and that's not a fast track there.

Allison has talent. His tape from his last year at Illinois was quite good. Just a juco kid and there wasn't much of it. Some had doubts about his ability to beat press as well. There was a drug history also and some questioned his willingness to do what it takes at the next level.

Looks like he has his head on straight though. I'd be pretty comfortable with him out there right now.

6 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Lol.  Two seasons of having Hawkins/Dorelant/Gunter as our fourths and people are suggesting we might cut House.

I know I say some stupid **** and I don't REALLY believe 53% of what I say, but that's just full stupid. 

No hate for House.  I just like Pipkins and Rollins more at this point.  Pipkins is solid as an overall defender and he'll only get better. 

Rollins is more versatile than House being able to play 4 positions + special teams to House's 1.  That's what I'm looking for in a player trying to take one of those final spots.

1 hour ago, palmy50 said:

Yeah, I'd stick to my guns on that one as well. Many get held up by his combine forty and by the fact he went undrafted.

He was one of mine that year. Just remember that much like J'Mon did Allison ran much better at his pro day(I had him at 4.53) and that's not a fast track there.

Allison has talent. His tape from his last year at Illinois was quite good. Just a juco kid and there wasn't much of it. Some had doubts about his ability to beat press as well. There was a drug history also and some questioned his willingness to do what it takes at the next level.

Looks like he has his head on straight though. I'd be pretty comfortable with him out there right now.

Palmy, good to see you. I'd give you a Molson and some Poutine if you did a 2018 draft pick/ off season breakdown sometime.

2 hours ago, palmy50 said:
13 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

If this is your first post on the new site, welcome back!

8 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

We have Josh Jackson, Kevin King, and Jaire Alexander now. I am okay with keeping two vets now because we have the high draft capital youth. 

Tramon / House / King / Alexander / Jackson / pick 2 of Hawkins / Pipkins / Goodson / Brown still lets us keep 2 fringe level corners. Is Donatello still here?

Or we could keep 6 corners and Rollins would be the 5th safety. I think we keep 12 DBs and one of them would be a prime cut candidate when Aaron Jones is back week 3. Either that or an extra OL for insurance on Bulaga/Taylor

Archived