Packers Off-season Mini-Camp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

Somebody here said awhile back that Michael Clarke would be a victim of his own success. I don't remember exactly how it was stated, but it went something like this: When the Packers saw Clarke's ability to high-point the ball, they drafted some big receivers who could do the same thing and were more talented and experienced than Clarke and would beat him out for a roster spot. Whoever wrote that can step forward and take a bow. Apparently Clarke saw the writing on the wall and decided to retire. 

6 minutes ago, Greg C. said:

Somebody here said awhile back that Michael Clarke would be a victim of his own success. I don't remember exactly how it was stated, but it went something like this: When the Packers saw Clarke's ability to high-point the ball, they drafted some big receivers who could do the same thing and were more talented and experienced than Clarke and would beat him out for a roster spot. Whoever wrote that can step forward and take a bow. Apparently Clarke saw the writing on the wall and decided to retire. 

I legitimately can't tell if this is sarcasm or not?

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I legitimately can't tell if this is sarcasm or not?

Besides the phrase "victim of his own success" as Clark had none, I don't see what's outlandish about his thoughts.

Pretty obvious Gute is a much bigger fan of that body style than Ted as Ted never took a receiver like MVS or Eq.

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Besides the phrase "victim of his own success" as Clark had none, I don't see what's outlandish about his thoughts.

Pretty obvious Gute is a much bigger fan of that body style than Ted as Ted never took a receiver like MVS or Eq.

1. Victim of his own success

2. That Michael Clark's success has opened the Packers eyes and turned them on to a different style of play than what they were looking

3. That Michael Clark retired because the Packers drafted guys?

Also:

Have we not been calling MVS "Black Janis" since the draft?

CJ Johnson?

We've taken on plenty of lottery ticket type WRs. Big difference now is that they might actually have a shot to make the team. I suppose if you want to say that we have 6'4+ receivers in camp for the first time, you might be able to make that argument, but toolsy late rounders/UDFAs isn't anywhere close to new. 

10 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

2. That Michael Clark's success has opened the Packers eyes and turned them on to a different style of play than what they were looking

Also:

CJ Johnson?

We've taken on plenty of lottery ticket type WRs. Big difference now is that they might actually have a shot to make the team. I suppose if you want to say that we have 6'4+ receivers in camp for the first time, you might be able to make that argument, but toolsy late rounders/UDFAs isn't anywhere close to new. 

The two this year have more of the Javon Walker body type. Janis, Johnson, not nearly as lanky. Ted took a few shots but a JMon Moore sized guy was usually his cutoff.

1 hour ago, Greg C. said:

On 4/29/2018 at 5:04 PM, Cadmus said:

Clark was the most inconsistent WR at TC. 

Make a wow play one moment and then literally let one zip straight through his hands. 

Hands definitely seemed like a huge issue from what I saw in TC. 

However, I think Clark has a lot to do with why St. Brown, Moore and MVS were all added in the same draft class. 

His (limited) success led to his own demise. 

I posted about Clark like 3 or 4 times during the offseason, but that wasn't some crazy prediction, it was just connecting dots based on what I saw at TC. Rodgers targeted Clark A LOT in TC for him being the type of WR unlikely to make the final roster. Just seemed like Rodgers was taking another opportunity to take advantage of the practice environment where he pushes himself to try new things/ take riskier throws (like he always talks about). 

6 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Also:

CJ Johnson?

Success is relative. For Clark to come out of nowhere, consistently wow his coaches and teammates in practice, and eventually make the final roster was a huge success for him. It may be a stretch to think that Clark influenced the team to draft bigger receivers, but I think it's possible. They drafted three of them, after all, possibly thinking that if they could get a guy like Clark who had more skills and experience, Aaron Rodgers might be able to duplicate some of the success he had with Clark in practice. And yes, I think it's quite likely that Clark's retirement was spurred by the drafting of these three receivers. It was going to be an uphill battle for him to make the roster. 

1 hour ago, Greg C. said:

Success is relative. For Clark to come out of nowhere, consistently wow his coaches and teammates in practice, and eventually make the final roster was a huge success for him. It may be a stretch to think that Clark influenced the team to draft bigger receivers, but I think it's possible. They drafted three of them, after all, possibly thinking that if they could get a guy like Clark who had more skills and experience, Aaron Rodgers might be able to duplicate some of the success he had with Clark in practice. And yes, I think it's quite likely that Clark's retirement was spurred by the drafting of these three receivers. It was going to be an uphill battle for him to make the roster. 

1. He didn't make the final roster. He made the practice squad.

2. J'Mon Moore isn't a bigger receiver. He's 6025. That's right in our wheelhouse for boundary targets.

3. If they were looking for more skills and experience. Why would you draft MVS? He of the 159 catch college career over 5 years? MVS isn't more skilled or experienced. He's a better athlete.

4. Holy **** the lionization of Michael Clark's preseason has gotten entirely out of hand. Dude made a few plays. That's what happens with scrub on scrub violence. The Packers have seen Rodgers will taller targets before. Jermichael Finley was 6'4. Attributing any organizational epiphany to a dude like Clark is just nonsensical.

5. If a guy is capable of changing an organization's drafting thought process, he's capable of ending up on a practice squad or as a fringe free agent. In all likelihood, Clark retired for health reasons, whether that was an injury suffered or long term concern for his neurological health.

“Coach Pettine got up in front of the squad and gave — I don’t want to beef it up too much, but it was a near all-timer.

“I’ve been around here for 14 years, and that was a really, really good talk to the team. As an offensive player, to hear the defensive coordinator get up there and talk about defense the way he did and goals and mindset, that was pretty impressive. And that gives you a lot of hope.”

-Rodgers on Pettine

6 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

“Coach Pettine got up in front of the squad and gave — I don’t want to beef it up too much, but it was a near all-timer.

“I’ve been around here for 14 years, and that was a really, really good talk to the team. As an offensive player, to hear the defensive coordinator get up there and talk about defense the way he did and goals and mindset, that was pretty impressive. And that gives you a lot of hope.”

-Rodgers on Pettine

Must've been something liket his

Archived