WCF: Warriors vs Rockets Thread- The Real NBA Finals

Texansfan713

22 minutes ago, showtime said:

Lol, Cris Carter said that Capela could guard Draymond Green.  "He can guard Draymond, it's not like you have to worry about him.  How many shots he gonna hit"?  Um, this isn't Dennis Rodman or Ben Wallace.  You can't just ignore Draymond and not guard him lmao

Ben Wallace and Dennis Rodman knew they couldnt shoot. Green thinks he can. His 33% in the playoffs is up from his season average of 30% the last two seasons. He also hit over 40% in the post season last year. When a team has Curry, Thompson and Durant you just lose when Green is hitting 3s, its as simple as that. 

1 hour ago, Mossburg said:

Can the Rockets win this series without James Harden playing at a bonafide MVP level?

If no, what are the chances that he play at that level?

The Rockets are zero chance of winning with Harden playing at a poor level. Anything like game 6 against the Spurs last year is an auto loss. But Harden can shoot 7 for 22, and still score 28 points, grab 8 rebounds, dish out 8 assists and have 2 turn overs and we can win. Harden's shot % is not important at all, his shot selection is important. There have been times when he has shot 30% from the field and yet the majority of his misses are either blocked out of bounce, or easy offensive rebound put backs. That happens more than people realize. He draws the D, misses the shot but Capela or someone else is there to clean it up. It makes Harden's numbers look bad, but doesnt hurt the team. Then there are games when he goes 2 for 12 from 3 and percentage matters. but bottom line, Harden will need to be a 30-8-8 guy this series for the Rockets to have a chance. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Well, the Warriors are the favorites for a reason. There is a pathway for the Rockets to win even with a suspect Harden game, but it will take the rest of the team shooting lights out from down town. To me it also comes down to how effective Capela could be on switches. If he gets exposed and is forced to be taken out, that's a big win for the Warriors. Sure they could throw out a small ball line up with Tucker or Moute at C, but that isn't going to be better than the Warriors small ball line up. But I want to see the KD/Moute match up. He is the one guy that has a chance to slow Durant down. I don't think Ariza nor Tucker will be able to do so, but Moute is the wildcard. May end up starting at some point in the series. 

The idea of a KD vs Moute match up is nice, but the Rockets system doesnt allow that to happen. We switch everything. Durant can basically pick who he wants to guard him. The good thing is we can put Ariza/Tucker/Moute out there and hope for one of them to be on Durant when he decides to ISO

But also the warriors dont run a lot of Iso, so there are fewer one on ones. They get a lot of points out of running off ball screens. The rockets rarely run off ball screens. 

Here is what I think will determine the outcome of this series

1. Does the Rockets switch happy system eliminate some open Klay Thompson 3s?

Thompson runs away from his defender all the time, and gets open looks off screens. The rockets system is in theory designed to limit these. I suspect the rockets give up a few open back door lay ups to avoid open Thompson 3s. 

2. can the rockets get hot from 3?

The rockets have been brilliant in the post season at getting any shot they wanted. It has been 10 games of open 3 after open 3. The problem is that we have also had Brick City from the 3 point line. I wish I could find the actual numbers, but it seems like the rockets miss more uncontested 3s than contested 3s. Our % is at 35%, but there have been several games where we have won despite not making anything from 3. The question is can we get hot from 3 point range at least 4 times in this series.

3. Can Capela force guys off the 3 point line

Capela has owned the paint in the post season. He has outplayed KAT and Gobert, both considered top 5 centers in the league. After our game 2 disaster against Utah, Capela had 15 blocks the next 3 games, including an incredible 5 blocks in the final 3 minutes to seal game 4. He was great on the switch as well. But Curry and Durant are a little better than Mitchel and Ingles. Capela will basically have to commit to taking the 3 away and we will have to help off Green and AI. there is basically no other way to do it. You have to make those other guys beat you. 

In this series, defense will only be important down the stretch for the rockets. They are going to have to score to win. There will be no rockets wins in 102 to 98 finals. The rockets are going to have to score and then come up with big stops down the stretch. 

But both teams are capable of having one of those games where you just smile and shake hands. I wouldnt be shocked to see either team get a 30 point win in this series, but i have a feeling most of them will be under 10

I get that leaving Green open is what you have to do against the Warriors.  All I'm saying is, leaving a 33% shooter wide open isn't that great.  In the last game vs the Pelicans, Green struggled shooting from deep, but he still shot 50% from the field on 18 shots.  Green isn't just going to shoot in those situations, he's also a ball-handler and a passer.  Giving him free space to find passing lanes is a dream for him.

Anthony Davis abused Green and it doesn't matter... and Capela is nowhere near the player Davis is.  Plus, it's not like Capela shoots the ball or has the basketball anywhere near the amount that Davis did with the Pelicans, so Green won't have to work nearly has hard.

I see Capela being pretty useless in this series.  They should just play Tucker against Green and play small ball as well.

Just for fun, I looked at the 10 playoff games Harden has played against the warriors. Inconsistent is the right word. Here are his points/rebounds/assists:

2015 Western Conference Finals

28/11/9
38/10/9
17/3/4
45/9/5
14/6/5

This was a really close series. Games 1 and 2 were decided by just 5 points total, both winnable for the rockets towards the end. 

Then you have the dysfunctional rockets 2016 team that lost in 5 and Harden went

17/3/2
28/2/11
35/8/9
18/7/10
35/6/6

So hes been really great at times, and hes been really terrible at other times. Rockets need to win this series and a rivalry will start to be born out of this. Golden State bouncing Houston 3 times in 4 years, well thats just dominance. 

4 minutes ago, showtime said:

I get that leaving Green open is what you have to do against the Warriors.  All I'm saying is, leaving a 33% shooter wide open isn't that great.  In the last game vs the Pelicans, Green struggled shooting from deep, but he still shot 50% from the field on 18 shots.  Green isn't just going to shoot in those situations, he's also a ball-handler and a passer.  Giving him free space to find passing lanes is a dream for him.

Anthony Davis abused Green and it doesn't matter... and Capela is nowhere near the player Davis is.  Plus, it's not like Capela shoots the ball or has the basketball anywhere near the amount that Davis did with the Pelicans, so Green won't have to work nearly has hard.

I see Capela being pretty useless in this series.  They should just play Tucker against Green and play small ball as well.

Hes not going to be useless. He's one of the best pick and roll finishers in the league. He blocks shots, out rebounds guys. Hes going to be the best rebounder in the series. He might not be in the game during crunch time if he cant handle the switch, but hes not going to be useless. There is a reason he got 15 points a game against the warriors. Green taking him out to the 3 point line will cut down on his rebounds some, but he wont be useless. If the warriors decide to play an actual center, they will get abused just like KAT and Gobert. 

Also I think that Ryan Anderson will be playing center in this series. He isnt so terrible that hes going to get abused by Green in the post and he will pull the defense out for the drives. his problem is on the switch. He gets burned in it, but I suspect he will only be in when Curry isnt out there burning guys on the switch. 

12 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Hes not going to be useless. He's one of the best pick and roll finishers in the league. He blocks shots, out rebounds guys. Hes going to be the best rebounder in the series. He might not be in the game during crunch time if he cant handle the switch, but hes not going to be useless. There is a reason he got 15 points a game against the warriors. Green taking him out to the 3 point line will cut down on his rebounds some, but he wont be useless. If the warriors decide to play an actual center, they will get abused just like KAT and Gobert. 

Also I think that Ryan Anderson will be playing center in this series. He isnt so terrible that hes going to get abused by Green in the post and he will pull the defense out for the drives. his problem is on the switch. He gets burned in it, but I suspect he will only be in when Curry isnt out there burning guys on the switch. 

The Warriors don't have to run a center and they play on the perimeter so much that his ability to block shots doesn't matter.  Anthony Davis did the same things, only better, and it didn't matter.  Capela can score his 15 a game and get double digit boards and it won't matter.

Paul, Gordon, Harden, Ariza, Tucker.  They also have Mbah a Moute, Joe Johnson, Gerald Green and Ryan Anderson.  I would just go at the Warriors like that.  I'm not saying to never play Capela, but to me blocking shots and being a rim protector is just not as useful vs the Warriors because of how they play.  Against any other team in the league, sure.  Warriors, I don't think it matters much.

1 hour ago, showtime said:

All I'm saying is, leaving a 33% shooter wide open isn't that great.

Theoretically, if all he did was shoot threes at 33% every time he was open that would be under 1 point per possession (just barely). The Suns were the worst offense in the league this year and they still scored over 1 point per possession (1.035). So yeah, teams are hoping Green shoots threes. 

3 hours ago, showtime said:

The Warriors don't have to run a center and they play on the perimeter so much that his ability to block shots doesn't matter.  Anthony Davis did the same things, only better, and it didn't matter.  Capela can score his 15 a game and get double digit boards and it won't matter.

Paul, Gordon, Harden, Ariza, Tucker.  They also have Mbah a Moute, Joe Johnson, Gerald Green and Ryan Anderson.  I would just go at the Warriors like that.  I'm not saying to never play Capela, but to me blocking shots and being a rim protector is just not as useful vs the Warriors because of how they play.  Against any other team in the league, sure.  Warriors, I don't think it matters much.

If joe Johnson sees significant time, then something went really wrong for someone. 

But guys like MDA, CP3, Joe Johnson, Nene, they need to finally get a ring. 

34 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

But guys like MDA, CP3, Joe Johnson, Nene, they need to finally get a ring. 

Nah.  Nobody likes Chris Paul except for fans of the team he plays on.  Def don't want to see him ever get a ring.

MDA is a guy I'd personally like to see win one. Not just because he helped transform the league, but that whole Horry Nash incident where it actually looked like he Suns could take it to the Spurs the one and only time during his tenure.

6 hours ago, showtime said:

Capela is a good defensive big who can handle some perimeter D. They need to use him. Having him for lobs offensively also makes him quite valuable.

7 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

The Warriors will thank you if Ryan Anderson plays Center. He will get abused on defense, and they don't rely on having a rim protector at Center. They're fine with having Anderson sit on three-point line.

7 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

It's below league average on wide open 3s; that's bad.  He was a 30% 3P shooter during the regular season; that's awful.  You live with that, especially if Green misses his first couple.  He doesn't want to shoot the most on the team at all, and making him do it after he misses his first 2 or 3 messes with him.  Now if he gets hot then you adjust, but you make that gamble over any other option the Warriors present you.

It's not really about shooting the threes. Yea, Draymond will take some threes, but he's also not just going to stand there and pout. As J said, he'll got set picks, or if you leave him wide open, he'll drive the lane and find an open man when the defense reacts. 

Archived