NFC North 2018 Thread

Heinz D.

On 6/4/2018 at 12:41 PM, IronMike84 said:

If that team lands a third consecutive QB who’s just one big trump card when Rodgers leaves, I’ll be crushed. The fact that the Packers and Patriots have been so dominant and have had like 20 playoff appearances in 25 years in the salary cap era is so completely improbable.

As amazing as it sounds that would be I think the best luck ever. That being said, you have two potential top 10 QBs of all time and only have two superbowl wins in only 3 appearances to show for it. As a Bears fan you can still poke fun at the Packers to a degree. Its been an incredible fun frustrating ride the last 25 or so years. 

18 hours ago, Spartacus said:

As amazing as it sounds that would be I think the best luck ever. That being said, you have two potential top 10 QBs of all time and only have two superbowl wins in only 3 appearances to show for it. As a Bears fan you can still poke fun at the Packers to a degree. Its been an incredible fun frustrating ride the last 25 or so years. 

Yeah, 1 Super Bowl in 20 years when that organization had Favre and has Rodgers is pretty embarrassing. Fun to watch and usually got you into the playoffs, but frustrating nonetheless

On 6/6/2018 at 11:44 AM, beardown3231 said:

Yeah, 1 Super Bowl in 20 years when that organization had Favre and has Rodgers is pretty embarrassing. Fun to watch and usually got you into the playoffs, but frustrating nonetheless

I think it highlights how rare the Patriots are more so then the Packer's mistakes. Even with HOF talent at the QB position it's just really hard to get to 7+ super bowls. There are so many factors that are against you. I also think the NFC has been more competitive than than the AFC. 

3 hours ago, Nads786 said:

I think it highlights how rare the Patriots are more so then the Packer's mistakes. Even with HOF talent at the QB position it's just really hard to get to 7+ super bowls. There are so many factors that are against you. I also think the NFC has been more competitive than than the AFC. 

The Patriots are a complete enigma I think. Not only do I believe that they have the best coach and the best QB in football probably ever they had them at the same time butI also think the quality of their division and some of the years the quality of the AFC was just lacking. That on top of at least when it comes to their first superbowl some really lucky breaks. I think the Patriots both are extremely lucky and extremely talented. Something your just not going to see ever again. 

3 hours ago, Spartacus said:

The Patriots are a complete enigma I think. Not only do I believe that they have the best coach and the best QB in football probably ever they had them at the same time butI also think the quality of their division and some of the years the quality of the AFC was just lacking. That on top of at least when it comes to their first superbowl some really lucky breaks. I think the Patriots both are extremely lucky and extremely talented. Something your just not going to see ever again. 

The Patriots have morphed over the years. Their first Super Bowl run, they were a scrappy, lucky team. Then they were a team with a very talented defense and a balanced offense. As that defense fizzled out, they turned into an offensive powerhouse.

Their current incarnation is where they’re a complete anomaly, because they’ve been able to sustain success—and arguably have been their most successful—while being pretty talent-deficient. Outside of Brady and Gronk, they really don’t have stars. They can totally miss on first round picks and then win a Super Bowl with 10 or 11 guys on the field being mid-rounders and UDFAs. They’re just such a well-oiled machine at this point, which I think is the result of Belichick’s wealth of experience.

I see a lot of similarities between the present-day Patriots and Packers, but the biggest difference is that the Packers can’t overcome adversity like the Patriots can. Missing on high draft picks badly hurts them. They can’t thrive with a roster stocked full of role players. They don’t have the caliber of coaching experience to overcome inexperienced players making mistakes in a playoff game.

Like you said, the lack of Super Bowl appearances, let alone Super Bowl wins, is really a big knock on the Packers. One of the biggest travesties of the decade in all sports may be that Rodgers has had the prime of his career needlessly squandered by carrying the entire weight of the team on his shoulders rather than being surrounded with blue chip offensive talent.

In terms of Bears/Packers fan relations, I think I’d at least be more tolent of Packers fans if they took the approach of “the Packers won because the Packers outplayed the Bears/Lions/Vikings” rather than “we won because this just how it’s supposed to be.” I’m sure Packers fans who remember the 70s and 80s are appreciative of the success, but the younger fans whose only concept of rock bottom is going 7-9 or 8-8 and just barely missing the playoffs are a putrid bunch to have to deal with.

On 6/7/2018 at 12:22 PM, Nads786 said:

I didn’t say 7+ but one Super Bowl title in 20 years with those two guys is borderline pathetic

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 8:37 PM, IronMike84 said:

In terms of Bears/Packers fan relations, I think I’d at least be more tolent of Packers fans if they took the approach of “the Packers won because the Packers outplayed the Bears/Lions/Vikings” rather than “we won because this just how it’s supposed to be.” I’m sure Packers fans who remember the 70s and 80s are appreciative of the success, but the younger fans whose only concept of rock bottom is going 7-9 or 8-8 and just barely missing the playoffs are a putrid bunch to have to deal with.

Those were great times!!

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

Not sure where to put this, but the Bears have ditched the 1946 throwbacks and instead will be wearing the orange jerseys this year: @ Miami + home vs Minnesota.

Boo I like the throw backs the best. 

11 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Scratch that. Apparently a team can now have 4 jerseys so they may wear that one too.

We are like 3 years from half the NFL being Oregon, ASU or Maryland as far as uniforms go. Different combo every week. 

On 6/6/2018 at 11:44 AM, beardown3231 said:

I'm not sure I can buy that argument  it's "embarrassing" to only have 2 superbowls wins in 20 years from Bears (1), Vikings (0), and Lions (0) fans considering they're franchise Superbowl history and some of the teams they have had. Especially the Vikings 0-4. I could tolerate it from Patriot fans or something, but winning superbowls isn't easy

7 hours ago, ArthurPensky said:

I'm not sure I can buy that argument  it's "embarrassing" to only have 2 superbowls wins in 20 years from Bears (1), Vikings (0), and Lions (0) fans considering they're franchise Superbowl history and some of the teams they have had. Especially the Vikings 0-4. I could tolerate it from Patriot fans or something, but winning superbowls isn't easy

The Packers have one in 20 years. Not sure where you got two.

The Bears have 0, as do the Lions and Vikings.

Archived