Camp Battles

MacReady

7 minutes ago, Joe said:

He had a great rookie year until he got injured and that's been the case. If he gets hurt in TC, I'm sure he'll be cut. He's reliable in the slot when he's healthy.

Achilles injury though. I wouldn't even bet on him coming back 100%.

5 hours ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

I think I am most looking forward to:

1.  Brice vs Jones

2.  Burks vs Ryan

3.  Allison vs Clark vs Davis vs Moore vs St. Brown vs Valdes-Scantling vs Yancey

4.  Hundley vs Kizer

A couple of weird comps there. Leader already mentioned Brice vs Jones. There is also Oren Burks/Jake Ryan. Maybe you see it different to me, but Ryan is the most important guy when it's a run play, Burks' forte is pass coverage - both should make the roster, no ?

2 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

A couple of weird comps there. Leader already mentioned Brice vs Jones. There is also Oren Burks/Jake Ryan. Maybe you see it different to me, but Ryan is the most important guy when it's a run play, Burks' forte is pass coverage - both should make the roster, no ?

IDK.  If you look at all the UDFAs we signed along with the hub bub about CMIII maybe seeing more ILB reps?  I think Ryan is far from a lock.  It seems like we're looking at more run and chase ILBs.

I'd also like the perspective that the draft picks over the last two years are all in competition with themselves.  Spriggs, King, Biegel, M Adams, J Jones, Davis.  They all need to step up or they might be collateral damage that the new regime will just flush as they rebuild the roster.  Granted, King and a few others are probably safe, but they still need to step up.  I do think Spriggs, Davis, Fackrell, Murphy and Davis are is serious contention for surprise cuts.

Would like to know how invested Gute was on all our 2nd and 3rd year guys.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

The GBPs better hope UDFA Brice doesnt put 2017 Round 2 draft pick Jones on the bench.

Does draft position really matter anywhere besides the internet and media?  Brice is a heck of a player and Jones has his work cut out to get the starting spot.  If Brice wins the starting spot IMO it says more about him than Jones because it’s not like Jones is competing against some scrub.

1 hour ago, Dubz41 said:

IDK.  If you look at all the UDFAs we signed along with the hub bub about CMIII maybe seeing more ILB reps?  I think Ryan is far from a lock.  It seems like we're looking at more run and chase ILBs.

I'd also like the perspective that the draft picks over the last two years are all in competition with themselves.  Spriggs, King, Biegel, M Adams, J Jones, Davis.  They all need to step up or they might be collateral damage that the new regime will just flush as they rebuild the roster.  Granted, King and a few others are probably safe, but they still need to step up.  I do think Spriggs, Davis, Fackrell, Murphy and Davis are is serious contention for surprise cuts.

Would like to know how invested Gute was on all our 2nd and 3rd year guys.

Greer Martini as a UDFA signing says there's still room for guys like Ryan. 

Spriggs is way more likely than Murphy

2 hours ago, Leader said:

The GBPs better hope UDFA Brice doesnt put 2017 Round 2 draft pick Jones on the bench.

Why? It could mean Brice has turned into a stud safety. That could move Jones down into the ILB situation on passing downs. It would also improve our overall depth if Brice became a stud. 

1 hour ago, Golfman said:

Why? It could mean Brice has turned into a stud safety. That could move Jones down into the ILB situation on passing downs. It would also improve our overall depth if Brice became a stud. 

It could but generally speaking a team will want its #2 draft selections to hit and not slide or get pushed aside.

6 minutes ago, Leader said:

It could but generally speaking a team will want its #2 draft selections to hit and not slide or get pushed aside.

Truth! I am on the record here stating Josh Jones makes a major jump in year two. So that being the basis of my response, that would mean Brice is going to have to jump to pro-bowl level to beat him out. In my book, not a bad thing or problem to have. 

1 minute ago, Golfman said:

Truth! I am on the record here stating Josh Jones makes a major jump in year two. So that being the basis of my response, that would mean Brice is going to have to jump to pro-bowl level to beat him out. In my book, not a bad thing or problem to have. 

It's not a bad thing or problem to have a talent packed roster. No down sides IMO. I just think the GBPs would prefer their talent evaluations and high draft selections get confirmation by showing up and filling roster spots over UDFAs.

I'm a bit surprised that people here aren't expecting Davis to get cut.  I feel like he has one more pre-season to raise his game up to match his physical skills.  I cover my eyes every time he touches the ball.  I think one, maybe two, will lose roster spots in the battle between Davis vs. Clark vs. Yancey. 

4 minutes ago, StinkySauce said:

I'm a bit surprised that people here aren't expecting Davis to get cut.  I feel like he has one more pre-season to raise his game up to match his physical skills.  I cover my eyes every time he touches the ball.  I think one, maybe two, will lose roster spots in the battle between Davis vs. Clark vs. Yancey. 

Why?

He's the best return man on this team not playing real reps on O/D, and he's pretty decent at it. Cobb's too valuable to the O and a little long in the tooth, Alexander's gonna have to learn the defense in one offseason and is also too valuable to the defense. Who else do you have?

Archived