Camp Battles

MacReady

4 hours ago, SSG said:

You are mistaken.  I've got no issues with rainbows and butterflies opinions.  If you can't fathom of having a pessimistic opinion about a player, no worries.  I'd imagine it is easier to view every Packer as the best at everything.  No need to apologize for watching the games through extreme Green and Gold glasses.  Nothing wrong with thinking the Green Bay Packers don't have a flaw on the roster :)

I  wasn't aware that there were fans whom thought Adams had a bad, wasted rookie year.

Wow.  I just believe that Spriggs might be alright in the long run and you lay a line of crap like that? 

So if we don't buy into your negativity about everything we are automatically in the rainbows and butterflies?  You like to imply things that were never said: I never said Adams had a 'bad, wasted rookie year' did I? I also don't watch Packer games through green and gold glasses.  Never said nor implied that the Packers don't have a flaw.  Those are all YOUR words.  I would like to believe you might be kidding at some point, but you haven't expressed anything identifiable as a sense of humor- so that can't be it.

Spriggs looked fine physically as a rookie and was obviously struggling with something before IR. It really was like year two Devante. Both clearly not moving right but everyone jumps to "he can't play". When Spriggs came off IR he was clearly moving better and it translated on field. I need to see more but still think he can be a good player.

55 minutes ago, spilltray said:

Spriggs looked fine physically as a rookie and was obviously struggling with something before IR. It really was like year two Devante. Both clearly not moving right but everyone jumps to "he can't play". When Spriggs came off IR he was clearly moving better and it translated on field. I need to see more but still think he can be a good player.

Sorry.....common sense and patience is not allowed here

1 hour ago, spilltray said:

I'm still hopeful for Spriggs but at this point I see him at best a career backup at RT. He sucks at LT, period, but at RT he's okay. Personally, If/when Buluga goes or if he can't play to start this this season, my money is on Murphy at RT over Spriggs. Murphy is more consistent and I see more of a jump from him in year 3 versus Spriggs. 

Spriggs lacked the strength that Oline guys need in the NFL. This isn't uncommon with guys from college that are light on their feet. This might be the year he shows that added strength and healthy enough to push for a start. Let's face it, he was drafted to be a back-up to Bak, and Bulaga knowing Bulaga has an injury history. I don't think the Packers ever thought he would start right away.

8 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

Wow.  I just believe that Spriggs might be alright in the long run and you lay a line of crap like that? 

So if we don't buy into your negativity about everything we are automatically in the rainbows and butterflies?  You like to imply things that were never said: I never said Adams had a 'bad, wasted rookie year' did I? I also don't watch Packer games through green and gold glasses.  Never said nor implied that the Packers don't have a flaw.  Those are all YOUR words.  I would like to believe you might be kidding at some point, but you haven't expressed anything identifiable as a sense of humor- so that can't be it.

Oh, sorry about that bud. I assumed by reading your posts that you had a rainbows and butterflies view on EVERYTHING regarding the GBP just like you assumed an optimistic opinion would in some way offend me. Those were YOUR words, right?  I guess when you "lay a line of crap" you can expect to receive one in return? 

Nothing about my original comment was overly negative.  I simply stated that Adams had a better rookie year which is very likely the overwhelming opinion of most packer fans.  You decided that it needed a childish and snarky reply because god forbid their be a differing opinion from your own.  

We'll have to agree to disagree about Spriggs.  If you can objectively view his rookie year in the same light as Adams' then we're not going to agree.  I see nothing in their respected careers that would suggest they'll have the same career path like you stated.  I was never even a huge Adams fan early and IMO he had a substantially better rookie year than Spriggs.  I'd also argue that his sophomore year was better given that Spriggs was beaten out by Kyle Murphy last year.  IMO Spriggs' chance of not making the roster is every bit as good as him making a Adams type jump in his 3rd year.  JMHO though, as Spriggs has had very few positive moments in his first 2 years. 

I too share concerns about Spriggs.

I'm not a lineman kinda guy - so evaluation of the strengths, weaknesses and nuances of their game is.....well, not lost on me totally as I can see and read - but........never been there done that.

I had higher hopes for him than has panned out so far. Thats about as far as I can go with it. A 2nd rounder from a major college program - while not a guarantee of anything, I thought would give us a more rounded talent than Spriggs has put on the field so far.

Not strong enough - not quick enough to get outside - a sucker for the inside move. Everybody's got things they need to work on at this level. Do I think (or am I confident) Spriggs will have a handle on things (?) enough to hold down starting RT position? Well - we'll just have to see what 2018 will bring cause history wouldnt render a great answer to those questions.

I remember that, as a rookie, he had a week to prepare to play at guard.   Left guard, I believe.  Want to say it was against the New York Giants.  He was forced to play a week earlier, when someone went down in game.  And he was God-awful.  Spriggs that is.  But, after preparing for a week, I thought he was solid at guard.  To me, that was highlight of the past two years.

Since then, he's been beaten out by Kyle Murphy at swing tackle.  And Murphy lacks footspeed.  Yet still outperformed the second rounder.

Some say he (Spriggs) was better (and actually good) last year when he came back...I don't really remember that.  Not saying it didn't happen.  Am saying that he wasn't good enough to stick out in my mind.

I hope he has a great camp and solidifies something on the line, even if it is first backup off of the bench.  But...I'm not holding my breath on him.  I'm actually more excited about Cole Madison and Justin McCray at this point.  Heck, even Patrick looked better on the line than Spriggs did last year.

I like this guy Madison as well - not based on anything that matters - cause I've watched scant little of his college tape - and well, college tape translating into NFL tape can be a rough transition. But - he looks to be a bit of a brawler. A guy with attitude.....and I like players with attitude (in general) but lineman (in particular) who are willing to battle on every down.

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

I too share concerns about Spriggs.

I'm not a lineman kinda guy - so evaluation of the strengths, weaknesses and nuances of their game is.....well, not lost on me totally as I can see and read - but........never been there done that.

I had higher hopes for him than has panned out so far. Thats about as far as I can go with it. A 2nd rounder from a major college program - while not a guarantee of anything, I thought would give us a more rounded talent than Spriggs has put on the field so far.

Not strong enough - not quick enough to get outside - a sucker for the inside move. Everybody's got things they need to work on at this level. Do I think (or am I confident) Spriggs will have a handle on things (?) enough to hold down starting RT position? Well - we'll just have to see what 2018 will bring cause history wouldnt render a great answer to those questions.

My old man used to coach the offensive line....  He looked for a couple of things.  Things you can clearly see in the good ones, take a look at just the linemen sometime and you'll see this.

Straight back, dropped butt.  Ability to play while looking like you are sitting on a chair, at least to start the play.

Choppy feet.  Quick feet up and down.  No long strides, feet that are moving are good feet.  Feet need to know the angle needed to push rusher around the qb, or pass them to other linemen.

Strong hands.  Need a punch.  Hands need to work in coordination with feet.  

Head straight up.  Dropping the head is a no-no.

I think it was Parcells who called great left tackles, Dancing Bears.  I can't help but think of that when I watch Bakh play.  I've never cared for his stance, but he gets out of it quickly and his feet/hands are excellent.  Back is pretty good, but the best back I remember seeing in a while was Clifton.  But Bakh is pretty darned good.  Always thought that Bulaga's feet were underrated and his hand/feet really worked/work well together.

Those are all pass things...drive blocking is different and it becomes a mental thing.  The ability to finish a play.  But, hands and feet need to work together.  The ability to funnel guys to other linemen are important.  But a lot of drive blocking is effort and mentality.

As a guard, those things are tougher to see.  But, Spriggs had a tendency to drop his head and stop his feet inside last year.  Tough to get beaten quickly as a guard, but he managed to have that happen often.  Like he lunged and simply whiffed.

On 5/17/2018 at 8:52 AM, vegas492 said:

I can't recall being so down on a young kid as I am on Spriggs.  I had such high hopes for him.  Even when he came back last year, I didn't see the "jump" that others saw.  Big year for him and I've written him off already.  Hope he proves me wrong.

That is completely understandable.  Before he was put on IR, he was a complete liability.  Remember the preseason? When he came back, you didn't see or hear too much from him.  He went from hopeless to below average.  Hopefully he improves or we are talking about a round 2 Tony Moll or Andrew Datko.  

6 hours ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

That is completely understandable.  Before he was put on IR, he was a complete liability.  Remember the preseason? When he came back, you didn't see or hear too much from him.  He went from hopeless to below average.  Hopefully he improves or we are talking about a round 2 Tony Moll or Andrew Datko.  

At least Datko was a 7th rounder...

21 hours ago, SSG said:

You are mistaken.  I've got no issues with rainbows and butterflies opinions.  If you can't fathom of having a pessimistic opinion about a player, no worries.  I'd imagine it is easier to view every Packer as the best at everything.  No need to apologize for watching the games through extreme Green and Gold glasses.  Nothing wrong with thinking the Green Bay Packers don't have a flaw on the roster :)

I  wasn't aware that there were fans whom thought Adams had a bad, wasted rookie year.

Friendly advice: Cut the condescending crap.

Are we comparing WR's to OL? This is a level of weird I hadn't anticipated.  Jordy and Sitton are pretty comparable though in career paths.. Jarrett Boykin and EDS?  I think I'm getting the hang of it.

Campen can make the most out of guys like Lane with a few years. Spriggs is an athletic specimen that really didn't have much else going at Indiana. He's been seeing much better athletes and moves then he ever caught wind of being a Hoosier. I'll give the benefit of doubt to the Coach for the first two years. Lots of clay to work with yet.

Archived