Our Offense got a lot faster this off season.

When I think about what our Offense has looked over the last few seasons & then imagine what it is now.

I can't help, but be excited that we will be faster @QB, RB & WR. Something this team need.....BADLY.

When we traded for Alex Smith, the first thing I thought was not his game management skills, or his ability to read defenses, or even his play action passing success.

It was his mobility. His ability to escape a pass rush. His knack for rolling left or right on the move & hitting targets or running himself.

Basically! Keeping the play alive!

I can't tell you how important this is, but I would hope you already know this. Hmmm, we didn't have that before.

Then we added WR Paul Richardson. He ran a 4.40 at the combine. This dude can stretch the field.

Yes, I know he doesn't have the experience or even DeSean Jackson ridiculous afterburners, but he will definitely get open & demand attention from a defensive coordinators scheme.

Basically! He will open up the field!

Then there's my boy Derrius Guice. His speed is pretty darn good & his running angry style will be be nice combination to go with it.

Sure, we may need to see more from him in the passing game, before calling him a complete back. But if this guy was doing the damage he was with 8 men in box, what is he going to do against Nickel Defenses?

Basically! His presence on field will open up the passing game, as well as play action passes!

Which happens to be something Alex is very good at & Richardson will eat up in those situations.

And lets not forget...when Jordan Reed is healthy & on the field, he seems to ALWAYS get open.

And that guy Jamison Crowder isn't too bad, either. They both seem to have a nose for the end zone.

So just remember that, when doing your Redskins 4-12 predictions! ?

I agree, we improved our speed on offense for sure. We also improved our speed on defense and special teams.

1. Payne is fast for a NT/DT and athletic

2. If Moreau or Dunbar start over Scandrick at CB, they are faster than Breeland. Moreau is a 4.3 forty guy, Dunbar is a 4.4 forty guy and Breeland is a 4.6 corner, just like Norman. That make up speed and speed on defense to make open field tackles will make a difference.

3. Apke probably won’t play many snaps on defense but his speed is evident. He runs a 4.3 forty - like Moreau - and that will be huge on special teams as a gunner and covering kicks, just like it was with Moreau last year when he was always the first gunner to get down and make tackles on punt coverage. 

The word out of rookie mini-camp was that Apke wasnt great in coverage but like you can see on his college film, his speed makes up for some of his mistakes. He has incredible closing speed and leaping ability. It’s obvious that Apke has a lot to learn about playing safety and needs to be developed but if/when he does develop he’s going to be a good player because of his incredible speed and athleticism. 

I've been enough of a nay-sayer with regards to Alex Smith that I feel like I cannot respond to this.

That said, you would be wise to look at his rushing stats and sack numbers before asserting that he's going to keep plays alive.

Richardson and Guice could absolutely open up the field for others.

34 minutes ago, Woz said:

I've been enough of a nay-sayer with regards to Alex Smith that I feel like I cannot respond to this.

That said, you would be wise to look at his rushing stats and sack numbers before asserting that he's going to keep plays alive.

Richardson and Guice could absolutely open up the field for others.

Our OL is better than Kansas City’s has been. Also, what do you mean his rushing stats? Alex had 355 rushing yards last year. Also, he beat the Redskins as much last year with his feet and by extending plays than he did his arm.  So yes, Alex does make plays with his feet and will extend plays.

This is the fastest we have been in a long time and maybe forever. Also the most talented offense and Smith will probably be first team all pro bowl because he’s so much better than cousins ( who was just a stat padding player) and Gruden will show why he was universally viewed as the top offensive genius and now he has the tools he wanted to make it a reality and lead the league in total offense. I 

9 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Our OL is better than Kansas City’s has been. Also, what do you mean his rushing stats? Alex had 355 rushing yards last year. Also, he beat the Redskins as much last year with his feet and by extending plays than he did his arm.  So yes, Alex does make plays with his feet and will extend plays.

I'd say you are at times, both right. 

There are times when he extends plays, and times where he plays it safe to settle for fighting on some later possession. It can be frustrating, but it is often appreciated later when his team walks away with the W. I see so many QBs trying too hard to make every play count... and it often creates a deeper hole for his team. 

So while this guy has the ability to extend plays.. and sometimes will.. there are other times where.. eating a sack or throwing ball into a target's feet will not be a rare thing either. 

Alex Smith rushed for 355 yards last year, Cousins ran for 179.  That's a difference of 11 yards per game.  Yay?  

The year before Smith rushed for 134, Cousins 96 or a difference of 38 yards.  

Terrelle Pryor ran a 4.38 sec 40.  Paul Richardson ran a 4.40.

Guice ran a 4.49 sec 40 which is impressive at his size, but not blazing.  

I guess I'm failing to see where this speed upgrade is?

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Alex Smith rushed for 355 yards last year, Cousins ran for 179.  That's a difference of 11 yards per game.  Yay?  

The year before Smith rushed for 134, Cousins 96 or a difference of 38 yards.  

Terrelle Pryor ran a 4.38 sec 40.  Paul Richardson ran a 4.40.

Guice ran a 4.49 sec 40 which is impressive at his size, but not blazing.  

I guess I'm failing to see where this speed upgrade is?

It’s offseason fantasy land time. We are super bowl bound for sure!! MVP QB, blazing fast receivers, best TE in league the best offensive genius head coach and three to five all pros on defense. 

Reality will hurt in a few months 

On 5/20/2018 at 11:54 AM, aceinthehouse said:

When I think about what our Offense has looked over the last few seasons & then imagine what it is now.

I can't help, but be excited that we will be faster @QB, RB & WR. Something this team need.....BADLY.

When we traded for Alex Smith, the first thing I thought was not his game management skills, or his ability to read defenses, or even his play action passing success.

It was his mobility. His ability to escape a pass rush. His knack for rolling left or right on the move & hitting targets or running himself.

Basically! Keeping the play alive!

I can't tell you how important this is, but I would hope you already know this. Hmmm, we didn't have that before.

Number of times sacked, 2015-2017 (3 seasons)

• Alex Smith: 108
  • Kirk Cousins: 90 (with two more games and 200+ passing attempts)

Archived