Who are the best QB guru’s in the league?

patriotsheatyan

As of recent, Shurmur is #1, and I don't think it's even close.

He took 2 back-up QB's and got the most that you could get out of each of them and did it in 2 separate seasons. He is also now largely responsible for two 30 year old back-up QB's getting 18 and 20 million dollar contracts to be starters on two other teams. 

McVay, Hackett and Flip all deserve some credit for 1 year but developing first round QB's in their sophomore years is not as impressive. Now getting Blake Bortles to look like even an average QB deserves a standing ovation in itself but I'm also not convinced that it was anything but a 1 year fluke.

10 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

As of recent, Shurmur is #1, and I don't think it's even close.

He took 2 back-up QB's and got the most that you could get out of each of them and did it in 2 separate seasons. He is also now largely responsible for two 30 year old back-up QB's getting 18 and 20 million dollar contracts to be starters on two other teams. 

McVay, Hackett and Flip all deserve some credit for 1 year but developing first round QB's in their sophomore years is not as impressive. Now getting Blake Bortles to look like even an average QB deserves a standing ovation in itself but I'm also not convinced that it was anything but a 1 year fluke.

Flip also got a combination of Manziel/McCown/Austin Davis to pass for over 4000 yards and a 20 TD to 12 INT ratio in 2015 even though they are a terrible trio and their best receivers were Barnidge and Travis Benjamin. That deserves more of a standing ovation  that Bortles having a good year IMO.

McDaniels is a scumbag IMO but his work with Brady, Jimmy G, Brissett has been considerable. I remember reading that Shanahan or Lynch did not care about seeing Jimmy up close much because they saw some film of him and knew he had been working directly with Josh for a few years, so they knew he was ready. That shows some serious respect for his work if true.

6 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Flip also got a combination of Manziel/McCown/Austin Davis to pass for over 4000 yards and a 20 TD to 12 INT ratio in 2015 even though they are a terrible trio and their best receivers were Barnidge and Travis Benjamin. That deserves more of a standing ovation  that Bortles having a good year IMO.

Meh, that's not too hard to do when your playing in garbage time. Greg Olsen can attest to that. He got 4500 yards and 35-18 ratio out of Bortles in '15. 

10 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Meh, that's not too hard to do when your playing in garbage time. Greg Olsen can attest to that. He got 4500 yards and 35-18 ratio out of Bortles in '15. 

I disagree completely. The Bears have been constantly in garbage time and we barely did that with Marshall, Jeffery, Bennett, and Forte. I think we have had 1 year since 2000 where we passed for more yards than that trio of QBs. One. And that was the first year with Trestman.

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

I disagree completely. The Bears have been constantly in garbage time and we barely did that with Marshall, Jeffery, Bennett, and Forte. I think we have had 1 year since 2000 where we passed for more yards than that trio of QBs. One. And that was the first year with Trestman.

We also have never registered a -154 PD in a single season like the Browns did that year either. Our lowest PD since 2000 was Trestman's second season (-123, our 7th lowest in history) and our QB's still posted more yards and TD's (3,792/30) than the 2015 Browns did (3,782/20). 

Also, keep in mind with that -154 PD, the Browns also passed the ball 464 times when trailing vs our total average 297 pass attempts when trailing in every year since 2007(when the passing league really started to take off) and an overall average of 287 combined since 2000. 

That's makes a pretty significant difference, don't you think? 

Nevertheless, to each his own. We can agree to disagree and that's fine. Like I said, I respect Flip as an OC for what he did this past season but Shurmur as of late has been on fire in terms of developing QB's. 

15 hours ago, cddolphin said:

What about private QB coaches?

Jordan Palmer seems to be a QB whisperer - I think his work with incoming rookies is going to land him a gig one day as a QB coach with an OC/HC track. 

Archived