Who are the best QB guru’s in the league?

patriotsheatyan

44 minutes ago, Scout said:

Josh McDaniels

Adam Gase 

Doug Pederson

Pat Shurmur

Matt LaFleur

Bill O'Brien

Sean Payton

John DeFilippo

Jim Bob Cooter

Matt Nagy

Andy Reid

Greg Olson

Sean McVay

Kyle Shanahan

Some names on this list I'm not familiar with, but Adam Gase?

1 hour ago, Scout said:

Bill O'Brien

Ehhh... I personally like BOB as a coach, but not ready to call him a QB guru. His resume includes the likes of Tom Brady and Deshaun Watson, two guys who'd be good QBs regardless of who coached them.

Rest of the bunch have been slightly better than their reputations under BOB - Ryan Fitzpatrick, Case Keenum, Bryan Hoyer, Ryan Mallet, Brock-lobster - so it's not like he's weaving straw into gold out there. These were JAG QBs who remained JAGs. 

I'd say Andy Reid is a great QB guru...

3 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Ehhh... I personally like BOB as a coach, but not ready to call him a QB guru. His resume includes the likes of Tom Brady and Deshaun Watson, two guys who'd be good QBs regardless of who coached them.

Rest of the bunch have been slightly better than their reputations under BOB - Ryan Fitzpatrick, Case Keenum, Bryan Hoyer, Ryan Mallet, Brock-lobster - so it's not like he's weaving straw into gold out there. These were JAG QBs who remained JAGs. 

I'd say Andy Reid is a great QB guru...

He made Christian Hackenberg look like a future #1 pick. He scratched (ok maybe had ready) one offense and went to concepts Watson is familiar with. Also went to the playoffs with JAG QBs. Isn't part of being a QB guru putting your QBs in the best situations to be successful? I can see you're skepticism though. Thought about deleting his name after I typed it. Just my $0.02

The tough part about answering this question is figuring out who exactly deserves to be considered.

Because head coaches, positional coaches, coordinators, etc all have very different responsibilities and teams across the league have coaching staffs that work in different ways than other.

For example, Im not sure McVay and Pederson are so much "QB gurus" as they are "offensive gurus". They are two classic examples of coaches who elevate their entire offense, and utilize their players in creative and different ways to get the best out of them, etc and so forth. 

QB coaches are the ones who work with the quarterback(s) the closest and are the ones (mostly) working 1 on 1 with QBs working on individual drills, trying to improve/teach things like footwork, throwing motion, reading coverages, etc.

So its really hard to say. Id say DeFilipo absolutely. But hes now the OC in Minny and will have so many more responsibilities than he did in Philly or Cleveland before. 

But I think that this should really lead into an even more interesting topic: why isnt QB Coach the most coveted/vital coaching position outside of the HC? He is the coach who is spending basically every minute of every day with his team's quarterbacks. Why cant owners/GMs decide to make it more important so that they dont lose guys who should be coaching QBs to coordinator positions?

11 hours ago, Scout said:

Josh McDaniels, Andy Reid, Kyle Shanahan, Pat Shurmur, John DeFilippo, 

Agreed.

Sean McVay, Matt Nagy

Still too early. We'll see.

Sean Payton,  Doug Pederson, 

Good coaches but I would not call them QB guru's by any stretch. 

Greg Olson, Matt LaFleur, Jim Bob Cooter, Bill O'Brien

These 4 do not belong on this list, imo.

Gase --Let's revisit this a year from now. I have a feeling those two seasons with Cutler and Tannehill were both flukes and Gase won't look as good as some portray him to be when it's all said and done. 

17 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Jordan Palmer seems to be a QB whisperer - I think his work with incoming rookies is going to land him a gig one day as a QB coach with an OC/HC track. 

If I was Palmer, I would seriously consider staying as a private QB coach rather than trying to get within an organization. He could easily make as much if not more than most NFL QB coaches and OC make without the added pressure. If he can develop a proven track record someone like Bortles would pay him pretty much whatever he asks for because it will pay off down the road. He can also then work with multiple guys and doesn’t have the same risk of getting fired as a position coach does. 

That is also only considering NFL players as his clients. He could easily then add in camps and private training for high school kids. We are talking over $100 an hour easily. That’s pretty good change for a gig with a much easier schedule than coaching. 

He’s awful as a HC at being too conservative and clock management but Andy Reid has to be one of the top 3-4 guys for QB development.     His length of success with several different guys separates him from many listed here.

One of my reasons for optimism on Mahomes long term is him being paired with Reid.

He's not coaching anymore, but I would add Gary Kubiak to the list. Got a few huge years from Matt Schaub, made Trevor Simien look good post Peyton - if you go back to his OC stints, he had some big years out of Brian Griese and Joe Flacco, too.

On 5/22/2018 at 11:57 PM, JustAnotherFan said:

As of recent, Shurmur is #1, and I don't think it's even close.

He took 2 back-up QB's and got the most that you could get out of each of them and did it in 2 separate seasons. He is also now largely responsible for two 30 year old back-up QB's getting 18 and 20 million dollar contracts to be starters on two other teams. 

Keenum and Bradford? Slinging Sammy was never a backup.

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

Keenum and Bradford? Slinging Sammy was never a backup.

??? He was literally a backup QB when the Vikings traded for him. 

Roseman didn't trade the "the haul" with intentions on starting Bradford. Come hell or high water, Wentz was starting the second he made that trade. Both, Roseman and the staff, had seen enough of Bradford to realize he wasn't the future of the team but Roseman knew that in a QB driven league there was some still value in him somewhere on the market. The Vikings desperation and emergency situation just fell right in his lap and at the right time. I'm pretty certain that he would've been traded for less by the deadline to another team. 

Talent wise, Bradford is a career backup QB and Roseman/Pederson's staff had no intentions on keeping him on the roster and was only using him as hopeful bait at that point. The same way that Speilman was hoping for because they obviously don't see much in him either. He just didn't get as "lucky" as Roseman did. 

10 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

??? He was literally a backup QB when the Vikings traded for him. 

Roseman didn't trade the "the haul" with intentions on starting Bradford. Come hell or high water, Wentz was starting the second he made that trade. Both, Roseman and the staff, had seen enough of Bradford to realize he wasn't the future of the team but Roseman knew that in a QB driven league there was some still value in him somewhere on the market. The Vikings desperation and emergency situation just fell right in his lap and at the right time. I'm pretty certain that he would've been traded for less by the deadline to another team. 

Talent wise, Bradford is a career backup QB and Roseman/Pederson's staff had no intentions on keeping him on the roster and was only using him as hopeful bait at that point. The same way that Speilman was hoping for because they obviously don't see much in him either. He just didn't get as "lucky" as Roseman did. 

Actually, the FO and Pederson were pretty intent on Bradford starting as many games as possible (given that hes gonna get hurt just never know when). I mean hell, the year before he played in all but 2. 

The plan was to sit Wentz as long as possible year 1. The Bridgewater injury just threw a fork in that plan, and also created maybe one of the most fascinating ripple effects in NFL History. 

I, nor you, cannot speak for Howie. But I really dont think that Bradford was being dangled like some piece of juicy trade meat like you allude to...

The trade was just too good to pass up. We still had Chase Daniel at the time, because having Bradford meant preparing as if his backup will almost definitely be playing, and we just traded our 2017 first as part of the Wentz deal also. We had a vet QB still in case Carson really wasnt ready and we wouldnt be forced to start him due to having noone else, and the 1st that netted from Minny REALLY made the Wentz trade look incredibly defensible (at the time obviously, since noone really knew Wentz would already be a MVP caliber player by 2018). 

Archived