Free Agency Thread

resilient part 2

2 minutes ago, MookieMonster said:

@J-ALL-DAY Y’all signed a ?, not that it matters. You could start me at C and I’d still get a ring.

Nope, same guy said he's not sure an official offer was made just they were negotiating. Try again. 

And no mention of the money.

From what I heard on First Things First is that by Cousins taking the MLE this season, he cant get a big contract from the Warriors next year. If he comes back with them next season it will have to be I believe on a 6m contract so this could truly be a one year deal. Now Jalen Rose said on Get Up that Cousins could come back next season to the Warriors and then wait till the summer of 2020 and sign that mega deal with the Warriors. It just depends if Cousins want to sacrifice making his money for two seasons instead of just one season.

I personally cant hate on the Warriors in this situation. They did everything right. They drafted well and developed and have great coaching with a great front office. Now they are reaping the rewards with getting KD (which btw I didnt like what KD did just because of how it all went down), and now with Cousins. I am no Warriors fan, but on a football note I am a Rams fan and I can sense the hate on the Rams from the moves they made this offseason but they too did everything right. They stockpiled alot of picks to get a guy like Peters and Cooks both guys still on their rookie deals as of now. Talib didnt want to go to SF, even though I am sure they offered more. So the Rams took advantage of that. Suh wanted to play with Donald and for Kronke to help him with his brand. He took less money to go play for the Rams. All because the Rams drafted well, developed, and have great coaching with a great front office. So Warrior fans, I feel what you are going through. I dont like that the NBA is going to be dominated by the Warriors because unlike the Rams and football, the Warriors dont need but really one dominant player to make a difference and they have five now. With that said I dont hate because the Warriors didnt buy their team, they drafted and developed and they are reaping the rewards because other players want to come there and play and win championships. I just hate the Nets didnt at least put a contract out there for Cousins. Maybe next summer when the Nets have two max slots they can throw the bank at Cousins if he can prove he is right again this season.  

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Nope, same guy said he's not sure an official offer was made just they were negotiating. Try again. 

And no mention of the money.

That’s semantics dog. He making it sound like he didn’t even field a call. Multiple teams trying to negotiate, ain’t no way in hell Pelicans offered him a 2 year MLE lol.

Boogie is a ?

The NBA needs a system like the NFL or at least a franchise tag. If the NBA had a franchise tag, then KD wouldve gotten tagged to prevent him from jumping ship to the Warriors that summer and the Pelicans couldve franchise tagged Cousins for one year to see if he is right before giving him a long term deal. 

4 minutes ago, MookieMonster said:

Nah. Get rid of max contracts and this isn’t an issue. Guys like Lebron, KD, Curry get what they deserve and we don’t have super teams.

I agree. Like no system is perfect. In the NFL, Brady can take paycuts meanwhile Cousins, Carr, and Jimmy G get mega contracts in which none deserve but thats the market that is set and now every QB that will be up for a new contract will be the next highest paid QB regardless if they deserve it or not. But in the NBA at least there wont be super teams. I hate how the Cavs couldve signed LeBron more money than any other team regardless if another team has way more cap space. That shouldnt be.

27 minutes ago, MookieMonster said:

Nah. Get rid of max contracts and this isn’t an issue. Guys like Lebron, KD, Curry get what they deserve and we don’t have super teams.

KD took less than the max, and Curry was on way less than the max when durant signed. Getting rid of max deals wouldnt have stopped the warriors from forming

A hard cap is the only way to go

Anyone who thinks Cousins could actually cause any issues in the Warriors locker room is just trying to find a way to make this seem like this signing could backfire on isn't unfair.

If Cousins tries to cause issues or throw fits, he's going to be told to STFU by everyone in the locker room and front office. He'll have no leverage to try and do anything. And if he doesn't STFU? They'll cut or bench him long before he actually does any harm.

41 minutes ago, MookieMonster said:

That’s semantics dog. He making it sound like he didn’t even field a call. Multiple teams trying to negotiate, ain’t no way in hell Pelicans offered him a 2 year MLE lol.

Boogie is a ?

Who said they offered him a 2 year MLE? Or he didn't get better offers? Why exactly do you keep arguing that? 

They could have outbid the Warriors paltry $5.3 million deal -- the mini-midlevel exception for tax teams.

They didn't. The Pelicans had a tentative meeting scheduled with Cousins in the coming days, per sources close to the situation. That will obviously not happen. Perhaps they had decided they simply did not want Cousins coming off an Achilles tendon tear, having seen what the stretchy and fast Mirotic-Davis combo could do without him. The fact pattern suggests a limited interest, at best.

A number of teams had a No Cousins policy before he tore his Achilles. That number grew as teams feared committing to what might be a less explosive version of him. Remember: Any contract inked as part of a sign-and-trade must encompass at least three seasons. That might have been too long for teams that would have to send out some meaningful asset for him.

By the middle of Monday, Cousins' people were calling teams and pitching deals: one-year, $15 million in one place, per sources, other numbers in other places. Clearly, there was not much interest. It might be that the richest deal easily and quickly available to him was that full midlevel exception contract starting at around $8.6 million.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23979341/zach-lowe-demarcus-cousins-golden-state-warriors-nba

Cousins people pitching a one year 15 million deal while accepting 5.3 million tells me not many teams were interested. Could a team have offered a deal around 8.6 million? Maybe, but I doubt he would have turned down a one year 10+ million deal from the Lakers....Who Zach Lowe pointed out in his article didn't have much interest in him. Stop making it seem like this guy had tons of superior offers and just agreed to this one. Not the case.

8 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

Ok, I don't care about LeBron, Durant or any of these other moves, but Cousins to the Warriors for 5.3 mil?

GTFO with that BS. There needs to be some kind of major overhaul.

What do you suggest?????

Archived