Free Agency Thread

resilient part 2

27 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Honestly I’m laughing my *** off right now. Before Boogie this was the best team ever assembled. Now what can you even say?

Before Durant this team was literally being compared to one of the best teams of all time

50 minutes ago, BAConrad said:

So I notice an odd lack of anyone in this thread mention the giant looming shadow over this whole thing....which is that this really could do more internal damage to GS than positive impact on the court. .

1. Boogie had NO offers. He was apparently already on some teams' "will not sign" list, and that was before he suffered the WORST injury in basketball, especially for big men like him. 

2. Brings me back to 1......HE TORE HIS ACHILLES BARELY 6 MONTHS AGO. Does anyone seriously think Cousins will look like his former self no problem? Because if you do, then by all means, keep calling him their "fifth All Star". But the sample size of guys who have come back from this injury is small. And the sample size of big men to come back from this injury and have success is almost non-existent. And Boogie will be affected by the injury moreso than most big men because of the way he plays and how he has to be quicker on his feet. 

I mean.....I even saw someone say that all other teams are just morons for not signing him and GS and Joe Lacob and co. are simply geniuses who see some thing with Cousins that 31 other front offices are just simply too dumb to. 

Smh. Not trying to hate or anything but god damn. Cousins will be lucky to be back by Christmas....and on that team he will be lucky to get off 7 -8 shots a game (and that is pre-injury version of Cousins). Hows it gonna be for this team, who legitimately had some locker room/internal struggles last year, when Cousins comes back from injury and cant keep up with the pace that GS plays on offense because HES A 28 YO CENTER WHO JUST TORE HIS ACHILLES.. .or when he makes a dumb turnover (he averaged more than 5 a game last season) and follows that up by moping around being angry while his team has to play 4 on 5? Think Draymond is just gonna be like "no problem bruh youre Boogie Cousins you do what you want"? Lol. 

I think its a foregone conclusion that GS will win the title in 2018-2019, but I see Cousins having more negative impact than he does positive

There's a small chance that he becomes a distraction and blows up the locker room, which is pretty much all hope that any non-GS fan has this coming season.

Outside of that though, there's very little negative impact he can have. He's signed for, what, 1 year $5 mill? Basically worst case for GS he doesn't play, isn't a factor at all, and they just wasted their MLE. Not a major thing for a team who just swept the finals. Even if he becomes a distraction, they can pretty much just cut him since the money's negligible.

It's essentially a zero risk, high reward for GS. he's replacing JaVale, who averaged 9 minutes, 4 points and 2 rebounds per game last year.

Julius Randle would have made a good Maverick too. The Mavs really should have dealt Wes, Powell, Barea, and Finney-Smith when they had the chance. Could have cleared up space for DeAndre, Randle, and another player worth at least $10 million. 

Oh well.

8 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

and Capela owned 2 of them in the playoffs. Cp3 and Harden going Iso against Cousins on the switch will make it so much easier. 

You act like the Warriors aren’t flexible lol. Funny how Capela couldn’t do the same vs Draymond...

3 hours ago, BAConrad said:

So I notice an odd lack of anyone in this thread mention the giant looming shadow over this whole thing....which is that this really could do more internal damage to GS than positive impact on the court. .

1. Boogie had NO offers. He was apparently already on some teams' "will not sign" list, and that was before he suffered the WORST injury in basketball, especially for big men like him. 

2. Brings me back to 1......HE TORE HIS ACHILLES BARELY 6 MONTHS AGO. Does anyone seriously think Cousins will look like his former self no problem? Because if you do, then by all means, keep calling him their "fifth All Star". But the sample size of guys who have come back from this injury is small. And the sample size of big men to come back from this injury and have success is almost non-existent. And Boogie will be affected by the injury moreso than most big men because of the way he plays and how he has to be quicker on his feet. 

I mean.....I even saw someone say that all other teams are just morons for not signing him and GS and Joe Lacob and co. are simply geniuses who see some thing with Cousins that 31 other front offices are just simply too dumb to. 

Smh. Not trying to hate or anything but god damn. Cousins will be lucky to be back by Christmas....and on that team he will be lucky to get off 7 -8 shots a game (and that is pre-injury version of Cousins). Hows it gonna be for this team, who legitimately had some locker room/internal struggles last year, when Cousins comes back from injury and cant keep up with the pace that GS plays on offense because HES A 28 YO CENTER WHO JUST TORE HIS ACHILLES.. .or when he makes a dumb turnover (he averaged more than 5 a game last season) and follows that up by moping around being angry while his team has to play 4 on 5? Think Draymond is just gonna be like "no problem bruh youre Boogie Cousins you do what you want"? Lol. 

I think its a foregone conclusion that GS will win the title in 2018-2019, but I see Cousins having more negative impact than he does positive

You are overthinking this way too much and that’s being kind.

7 hours ago, hornbybrown said:

This is a joke, In my mind any Championships the Warriors win from when they signed KD are meaningless. I truly don't understand how anyone can be a bandwagon fan of the Warriors. It's cheap and meaningless 

Lol go away man. Seriously.

5 hours ago, mission27 said:

I get what you're saying...

But the current imbalance in the NBA is so far beyond the other leagues or really anything we've seen in any pro sports league in the free agent era.

We are talking about arguably the best regular season team in the history of basketball adding the second best player in the sport aka a top-20 player of all-time. 

Imagine if after 2007 the Patriots overhauled the weakest 20% of their starting lineup, which would be 4-5 starters, by bringing in inner circle first ballot hall of famers, without giving up any major core pieces.  How would people have reacted?  What if the Chargers decided they were tired of losing to the Patriots and LT, Shawn Merriman, and Antonio Gates somehow all ended up in New England. 

It would've been a disaster.  They'd be beating teams by 3-4 touchdowns every week and cruise through the playoffs.  That's what happened here. 

GS post-Durant is so good they can take 3 quarters off every game and still wipe the floor with other high quality NBA teams.  Really not good for the game.

I mean tbh the 2007 Patriots pretty much did beat teams by 3 TDs every week and cruised through the playoffs. They just choked a SB they had no business losing. And as much as people hate the Patriots, they were great for the NFL that year. Belichick was a genius for getting Randy Moss for a 4th round pick and getting him to take a pay cut, which is pretty much as close as you can get to finding an NFL equivalent to getting Boogie Cousins for a MLE. But Moss wasn't a FA, so fans can blame the Raiders instead of Randy specifically.

It's okay for teams to be stupid. It's okay for teams to be smart. It's okay for teams to stay abnormally healthy or have everyone get hurt. It's okay for players to be apart of franchise defining trades .It's okay for the most valuable young players to be distributed by ping pong balls.

It's not okay for players to put together winning teams.

6 hours ago, RollEagles said:

I don't really like this take. 

They aren't cowardly for doing this. They're trying to win. I don't blame them at all. I blame the union and owners for putting the rules in place to allow this. How can we blame players for wanting to win and having certain places where they want to play?

Nothing to do with the rules

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I mean tbh the 2007 Patriots pretty much did beat teams by 3 TDs every week and cruised through the playoffs. They just choked a SB they had no business losing. And as much as people hate the Patriots, they were great for the NFL that year. Belichick was a genius for getting Randy Moss for a 4th round pick and getting him to take a pay cut, which is pretty much as close as you can get to finding an NFL equivalent to getting Boogie Cousins for a MLE. But Moss wasn't a FA, so fans can blame the Raiders instead of Randy specifically.

It's okay for teams to be stupid. It's okay for teams to be smart. It's okay for teams to stay abnormally healthy or have everyone get hurt. It's okay for players to be apart of franchise defining trades .It's okay for the most valuable young players to be distributed by ping pong balls.

It's not okay for players to put together winning teams.

Look, if we want a league where players put together teams, I don't particularly care, but they will then need to be regulated just like how front offices are, if the league wants any hope of remaining competitive. It is the wild wild west for players, but the strict system for everyone else since players' forgoing money is something the NBA nor NBAPA never anticipated at the scale we've seen it occur at as of late.

2 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Look, if we want a league where players put together teams, I don't particularly care, but they will then need to be regulated just like how front offices are, if the league wants any hope of remaining competitive. It is the wild wild west for players, but the strict system for everyone else since players' forgoing money is something the NBA nor NBAPA never anticipated at the scale we've seen it occur at as of late.

They'll need to be regulated just like front offices are, so basically not at all. Let's not pretend having to swap 1st round picks every other year instead of trading them all away is effective regulation.

The funny thing is, I agree if there is a legitimate rule change they could make which would fix this, they should. The crux of my argument here is more about fan hypocrisy than anything else. I haven't seen a single rule change which would actually fix this though. You're right that the NBA and NBAPA would never have anticipated players this good leaving this much money on the table.

And then there's the irony of players doing whatever they can to get rings, which kills competitive balance and pisses off the collective NBA fanbase that only judges the accomplishments of players on rings.

Archived