2018 Draft Eligible WR Thread

CalhounLambeau

20 hours ago, incognito_man said:

how do ya'all rank this WR class compared to say the last decade or so? Good? Bad? Ugly? Great? Average?

A little below average. I think there are maybe 2-3 guys that will become #1 receivers, but there are a lot of role players in this class. Guys that will be red zone weapons, slot receivers, or great #2 guys. It just lacks star power at the top. Calvin Ridley is the star from this class in my opinion. He'll be a #1 receiver, but outside of him, the rest of the field is wide open. I like Deon Cain a lot, but more for his potential than his actual day 1 ability. I'm not high on St. Brown or Sutton, the other two perceived top WR's. Auden Tate is intriguing, but he's a linear high pointer right now that lacks the ability to separate. He has to moss people (which he's awesome at) to get the football and I just don't know if that's going to work consistently in the NFL. You can't ONLY be a big fade catcher in the NFL and expect to be a #1 receiver. 

Anthony Miller, Braxton Berrios, Jester Weah, Austin Proehl, and Quadree Henderson are guys I expect to be very good supporting role players despite not ever becoming a team's #1 guy.

3 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I see Henderson as a 4th/5th receiver making his money as a returner.

For sure he's an unreal return guy. More of a gadget player than a real WR, but he could be used similarly to Tyreke Hill in a WCO. Drag routes underneath where it's designed to get him the ball against underneath zones. He'd be a nightmare doing this, but his catch radius is extremely small and he's not a natural WR. A pop shot offense like KC is where he needs to be, but he'll be an effective offensive weapon in some fashion.

4 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

A little below average. I think there are maybe 2-3 guys that will become #1 receivers, but there are a lot of role players in this class. Guys that will be red zone weapons, slot receivers, or great #2 guys. It just lacks star power at the top. Calvin Ridley is the star from this class in my opinion. He'll be a #1 receiver, but outside of him, the rest of the field is wide open. I like Deon Cain a lot, but more for his potential than his actual day 1 ability. I'm not high on St. Brown or Sutton, the other two perceived top WR's. Auden Tate is intriguing, but he's a linear high pointer right now that lacks the ability to separate. He has to moss people (which he's awesome at) to get the football and I just don't know if that's going to work consistently in the NFL. You can't ONLY be a big fade catcher in the NFL and expect to be a #1 receiver. 

Anthony Miller, Braxton Berrios, Jester Weah, Austin Proehl, and Quadree Henderson are guys I expect to be very good supporting role players despite not ever becoming a team's #1 guy.

How do you feel about Dante Pettis?

Just now, ClutchDJ said:

How do you feel about Dante Pettis?

I honestly haven't seen enough of him. I know he's as skinny as a rail and can beat NFL DB's on vertical routes. From the little I've seen it looks like he runs verticals and curls. I think he'll get murdered against press coverage in the NFL. Might have to be a slot only receiver, but doesn't appear to be a savvy enough route runner to do that. I've only seen him play 3-4 times and haven't formally evaluated his tape, so take all of this with a grain of salt. He's one of the WR's in this class I've seen the least of honestly. I'll put it on my list of things to do.

Man, there's a whole bunch of long-limbed jump ball receivers that don't seem to have much in the way of speed or quickness. 

Ya, this year has a good stock of playmakers but all are under 6'0. I don't see a single clear-cut #1WR in this draft, but I think that's been clear for some time. Calvin Ridley may be able to become a low end #1WR based on technique and route running in time, but he looks best to me as a high end #2WR.

5 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Ya, this year has a good stock of playmakers but all are under 6'0. I don't see a single clear-cut #1WR in this draft, but I think that's been clear for some time. Calvin Ridley may be able to become a low end #1WR based on technique and route running in time, but he looks best to me as a high end #2WR.

It's almost painful, just watching these 6'4 guys who all look like they have everything but the ability to sell a route or go by someone. Some of it is a lack of basic technique, some of it is scheme driven and sub-standard QB play - but a lot of it is a fundamental lack of twitch and explosive traits. I think these four are gonna have to make a living catching contested passes and fighting for red zone targets because that quickness isn't there. 

• Courtland Sutton
  • Marcell Ateman
  • Jaleel Scott
  • Cedrick Wilson

1 hour ago, goldfishwars said:

It's almost painful, just watching these 6'4 guys who all look like they have everything but the ability to sell a route or go by someone. Some of it is a lack of basic technique, some of it is scheme driven and sub-standard QB play - but a lot of it is a fundamental lack of twitch and explosive traits. I think these four are gonna have to make a living catching contested passes and fighting for red zone targets because that quickness isn't there. 

• Courtland Sutton
  • Marcell Ateman
  • Jaleel Scott
  • Cedrick Wilson

I think Marcel Ateman is going to have a Vincent Jackson type career, but find the endzone with more success. I'm hoping Cleveland ends up drafting him.

Jordan Villamin is still someone I would take a R7 flyer on just to get his rights. The kid is a elite physical specimen and showed excellent deep speed for his size/weight until he hit a Junior wall, got injured and never really recovered. Oregon State had horrid QB play, but even that doesn't justify his terrible statistical output this past season.

But late in the draft is when you take risks and I would snag this kid in a second to develop. If he was more physical, he would be an excellent WR-to-Seam Busting TE candidate, but he doesn't seem to have that juice in him. If he makes it, it will be as a deep threat. Overrating the kid, I am sure, but I like his physicals too much to forget his earls success.

2 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Anyone else on this Allen Lazard bandwagon i'm riding? Oklahoma and OK state people have to be there with me too right? 

Every time I watch him, he just looks slow. I think he's going to have all sort of problems creating separation at the next level. Not that it's the end all be all - similar things were said about Benjamin, Funchess, and others...but man, every time I see him I feel like he's running through mud. I see him as more of a niche role player. 

4 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

• Courtland Sutton
  • Marcell Ateman
  • Jaleel Scott
  • Cedrick Wilson

Maybe I need to watch Ced Wilson again, he looked decently quick to me in the 2 cut-ups I watched, at least from what I remember. Thought his athleticism was similar to Gallup.

15 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Maybe I need to watch Ced Wilson again, he looked decently quick to me in the 2 cut-ups I watched, at least from what I remember. Thought his athleticism was similar to Gallup.

I’ve seen a couple of his games and he seems a bit one speed, runs a very limited route tree - lots of screen catches and underneath stuff. He’s a little more dynamic with ball in hand, but a lazy/unrefined route runner when asked. There’s not a lot of snap to his movements and he doesn’t create any separation on deep balls. There’s stuff to like, but that’s not a number one receiver.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2018 at 4:23 PM, goldfishwars said:

Man, there's a whole bunch of long-limbed jump ball receivers that don't seem to have much in the way of speed or quickness. 

Add Wieneke to that list.  Measured in well at the EW Shrine Boel:  6-4 218, Nice hands and arm length.  Supposedly wasn't getting much separation but he bodies up corners well and makes the contested catch.  Can't see him timing particularly well but we'll see.

Archived