Green Bay Packers will have the best record in the NFL this year

VanS

Philly finished tied with the best record in the league while losing their MVP caliber QB, all-pro LT, and their defensive QB among others. In addition to getting those guys back, they have an insanely favorable schedule.

- The record for the home team in the NFL kickoff game is 12-2.
- They have 10 days rest before playing the Jameis-less Bucs
- Their one short week (TNF) is against the Giants just up the turnpike where they have a lot of success
- They travel West only once when they play LA, where there are more Eagles fans than Rams fans
- They don't face anyone coming off a bye (two teams coming off TNF)
- They have one "away" game in London
- Their first game against the Cowboys is in Philly where Philly's coming off a bye and Dallas is coming off MNF.

At any rate, I do think Philly goes up against GB in the NFCCG. My guess is Philly will be the #1 seed and GB will be #2.

2 hours ago, VanS said:

Just think back to this time last year.  Remember the teams getting the most hype?  Dallas Cowboys?  Oakland Raiders?  New York Giants?  What happened to them?  That's right they all missed the playoffs. 

Don't forget the Packers for that list. They were getting tons of hype, but really didn't have that special of a roster. Similar to this year really.

2 hours ago, VanS said:

I know that as humans we have a hard time forgetting what we saw last.  However, I wish people would just look at historical precedent and realize that every season is new.  You can't try and bring in what happened last year thinking it has any bearing on this season.  This is the NFL.  We see crazy turnover every year. 

To an extent you certainly can look at what happened last year and see that it has bearing on this season. For example, we can look at certain players that have broken out, and see that they can be difference makers going forward: Alvin Kamara, Marshon Lattimore, Jared Goff, Todd Gurley, Carson Wentz, Adam Thielen, etc. come to mind. The opposite can also be true, we can see key players that show rapid decline: Jordy Nelson, Brandon Marshall, Adrian Peterson, etc. Looking at rosters from a pure talents standpoint, and recent success leads me to believe the Packers are not among the top 4 teams in the NFC coming into the season.

2 hours ago, VanS said:

Just think, at this time last year, nobody thought the Rams were much of anything.  Then they go out in 2017 and have the Offensive and Defensive Player of the Year.  Now many are saying they have arguably the most talented roster in the NFL.

Yep they had tons of young talent, and a new coach. They had a guy in Jared Goff who was a number 1 pick come out and play up to his draft status. They had a young innovative coach come in and help the team evolve into a playoff team. They also had Todd Gurley bounce back with a huge season who flashed as a rookie as being a potential star at RB. Most people already knew that they had the talent there it was just a matter of getting the most out of it that they can. I don't see that type of talent on the Packers roster, and the Packers have in my opinion a tougher division to play in this year. 

2 hours ago, VanS said:

Half the teams you listed as being the elite teams of the NFC are likely to not even make the playoffs this year if we look at historical precedent.  We know every year that teams who everyone thought would be contenders fail while teams nobody gave a chance to become contenders.  Look no further than the reigning Super Bowl champs.  They went from not even being in the playoffs in 2016 to Super Bowl champs the following year.  

In 2016 the Eagles were also showing flashes of their future dominance as if I'm not mistaken the Eagles were one of the last undefeated teams in the NFL in 2016. They had their QB in Carson Wentz look elite at times in 2017.

At the end of the day, I see the Saints, Vikings, Rams, and Eagles all being superior teams to the Packers from a talent standpoint, and going off of recent history. Obviously it is the NFL and anything can happen, but for now I just don't see a case for the Packers.

5 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Don't forget the Packers for that list. They were getting tons of hype, but really didn't have that special of a roster. Similar to this year really.

..... Rodgers got hurt and missed 8 games..... They were 4-1

10 minutes ago, Art_Vandalay said:

Philly finished tied with the best record in the league while losing their MVP caliber QB, all-pro LT, and their defensive QB among others. In addition to getting those guys back, they have an insanely favorable schedule.

- The record for the home team in the NFL kickoff game is 12-2.
- They have 10 days rest before playing the Jameis-less Bucs
- Their one short week (TNF) is against the Giants just up the turnpike where they have a lot of success
- They travel West only once when they play LA, where there are more Eagles fans than Rams fans
- They don't face anyone coming off a bye (two teams coming off TNF)
- They have one "away" game in London
- Their first game against the Cowboys is in Philly where Philly's coming off a bye and Dallas is coming off MNF.

At any rate, I do think Philly goes up against GB in the NFCCG. My guess is Philly will be the #1 seed and GB will be #2.

Really great schedule notes and wow, that is a really favourable schedule as far as rest.  However:

Falcons
Colts (with Luck)
@Titans
Vikings
Giants x2
Panthers
@Jaguars
Cowboys x2
@Saints
@Rams
Texans

I'm sorry, but as of today that is a brutal schedule. The only games I didn't include are the Bucs without Jameis and the Redskins, and I think Alex Smith is quite a bit better than Cousins. I don't think the Packers will have the #1 seed, but I would be more surprised to see the Eagles be the #1 seed. The Eagles might be the favourite in every single one of those games, but they could still lose a handful of them. 

Being in the NFC East, pulling the NFC South, and the AFC South (which should actually be pretty damn good this year) is rough. I don't think there would be a tougher 3 divisions to play this year. 

2 hours ago, JBURGE25 said:

..... Rodgers got hurt and missed 8 games..... They were 4-1

Still had 11 games to go and didn't appear to be as good as other teams in the NFC...Seahawks, Bears, Bengals, Cowboys were their wins... 

2 hours ago, JBURGE25 said:

I'm sorry, but as of today that is a brutal schedule

The only game on that list where I would see Philly as underdogs is at the Saints. I think the game in Dallas and vs Houston will be tough as well. I think most of those teams on there are overrated (Vikings, Rams, Panthers, Titans, Jags). If I were to guess, I'd say Philly loses at NO, loses in Dallas, then has two random WTF-type losses.

12-4 is realistic in my mind and I would hope that's enough to secure the #1 seed. Fun fact: In the last five years the only #1 seed to not make it to the Super Bowl, both conferences included, are the Cowboys (which I personally find hilarious). In other words, I'm praying Philly doesn't have to travel to Lambeau in January.

On 6/25/2018 at 5:48 PM, NormSizedMidget said:

Don't say this in our forum. I got murdered for not talking like he was Tony G.

I can believe it.

For what it's worth, I do think he's a really good pickup for the Pack, though. He's a pretty well rounded guy, and provides some things that Graham doesn't. 

11 minutes ago, Art_Vandalay said:

The only game on that list where I would see Philly as underdogs is at the Saints. I think the game in Dallas and vs Houston will be tough as well. I think most of those teams on there are overrated (Vikings, Rams, Panthers, Titans, Jags). If I were to guess, I'd say Philly loses at NO, loses in Dallas, then has two random WTF-type losses.

12-4 is realistic in my mind and I would hope that's enough to secure the #1 seed. Fun fact: In the last five years the only #1 seed to not make it to the Super Bowl, both conferences included, are the Cowboys (which I personally find hilarious). In other words, I'm praying Philly doesn't have to travel to Lambeau in January.

You're getting curb stomped at home to the Vikings

5 minutes ago, Art_Vandalay said:

Lol. Kirk can't beat good teams. And if Minnesota can't beat Nick Foles and company in Minnesota, they're not beating Wentz in Philly.

You had your lucky season. Now it's going to be foots on throats. You won't beat Zimmer a 3rd time.

6 hours ago, TENINCH said:

You're getting curb stomped at home to the Vikings

To be fair since it's a 4:25 start time, Kirk does have a chance. Be thankful it's not Primetime. However given the Eagles home record the past two years (15-3), I wouldn't get excited. This won't be a meaningless week 17 game like against Dallas (6-0). 

Roles in that quote might be reversed. Just saying. ????

Archived