How the NFL should go to an 18 Game Schedule

ChaRisMa

Who would the 2 games be against, though? That's my biggest question about 18 games (always has been). Currently, each team plays:

• Each team in their own division twice (6 games)
  • Each team in another division in their own conference (4 games)
  • Each team in a division of the other conference (4 games)
  • The two teams that finished in the same spot as them in the divisional standings last season in the two divisions in their own conference that they didn't already play (2 games)

These scheduling procedures ensures fairness from season to season because they are pre-determined and not left up to a whim about who plays who. Teams know exactly who they are facing after the season concludes (for 14 of the games, they know who they will be playing already for years to come).

What's a fair and pre-determined way to schedule the other two games? The only thing I can think of is expanding the fourth bullet point such that the 1st and 2nd place teams play all the other 1st and 2nd place teams, and the 3rd and 4th place teams play all the other 3rd and 4th place teams but this may be unfair to teams that finish 2nd in their division (and really really nice for teams who finish a strong 3rd).

The quality of the product is already decreased thanks to the simple lack of practice time. Now we're going to dilute it even more with less prep time for meaningful football and have more injuries thanks to conditioning issues? Hard pass. The product is fine at 16 games. Don't oversaturate the market with worse product that's how you kill a sport 

5 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Who would the 2 games be against, though? That's my biggest question about 18 games (always has been). Currently, each team plays:

• Each team in their own division twice (6 games)
  • Each team in another division in their own conference (4 games)
  • Each team in a division of the other conference (4 games)
  • The two teams that finished in the same spot as them in the divisional standings last season in the two divisions in their own conference that they didn't already play (2 games)

These scheduling procedures ensures fairness from season to season because they are pre-determined and not left up to a whim about who plays who. Teams know exactly who they are facing after the season concludes (for 14 of the games, they know who they will be playing already for years to come).

What's a fair and pre-determined way to schedule the other two games? The only thing I can think of is expanding the fourth bullet point such that the 1st and 2nd place teams play all the other 1st and 2nd place teams, and the 3rd and 4th place teams play all the other 3rd and 4th place teams but this may be unfair to teams that finish 2nd in their division (and really really nice for teams who finish a strong 3rd).

I would add two more to the two teams that finished in the same spot as them in the divisional standing in the two divisions in their own conference that they didn't play category.

1st and 2nd place teams play both the 1st and 2nd place teams, 3rd and 4th place teams play both the 3rd and 4th place teams. 

Let me be clear that I'm against a 16-game schedule, but that is how I would do it.

The young/new guys still need training and reps... while the veteran players don't. I think there is an easy solution that's being overlooked.

• All players on rookie contracts have a longer team off-season and preseason.
  • All new players to a team (FAs) has to go to some extra off-season and preseason stuff to learn systems/meet people/etc.
  • All veterans saying on the same team can the limited CBA offseason and can only be played in two preseason games.

This allows for young players to get the extra training can extra reps they need and the veterans more breaks and relaxation that they're demanding via the CBA/players union.

I love the idea of 18 weeks and 2 preseason.  

Obviously needs to be renegotiated in the new CBA but as long as the players are compensated properly they would go for it and the owners will make more money so they will too.  I agree with the 2 bye week thing to ease the stress on the body.  

The Thursday games aren't going anywhere (too much money) but each team should get a bye after any of those games so the players don't have to play twice in 10 days.

It's going to happen eventually I think which will be great for the NFL and the players wallets.

Archived