How the NFL should go to an 18 Game Schedule

ChaRisMa

On 6/30/2018 at 12:15 PM, ChaRisMa said:

2. Would you like that? Why or why not?

Here's another thing I don't like about this idea: if teams have to sit their starting quarterbacks and best players, they're going to sit their QBs and such against the teams that they have the best chance to beat, i.e. the worst teams in the NFL. This might lead to them losing to a bad team, but it still makes sense in principle because they would only lose to a better team by more. This would inflate the records of really bad teams and leave the second or third-to-last tiers as the worst in football, and could theoretically give a terrible team like a 9-9 record and maybe even a playoff berth. This might make the Wild Card Round a joke. In addition, this would make the draft out of order as to how it really should be.

For example, if this happened last season, teams might start their backups against Cleveland mostly. This might give Cleveland say, 6-7 wins in 18 games, while a team that wasn't good but wasn't that bad might finish worse. With a little luck, this could even put horrid teams in the postseason. I don't want to see deserving teams get shut out of the playoffs because they couldn't start their starters.

23 hours ago, TXsteeler said:

Imagine a week 19 game between the Saints and Falcons where the winner gets in to the playoffs and the loser gets bounced and it's nothing but backups playing.

This is a reason to hate OP's idea. TV ratings would take a hit, if starters were kept out of big meaningful games. The truth is no one wants to see a Tom Savage vs Brock Osweiler late season game. 

3 hours ago, Classic said:

This is a reason to hate OP's idea. TV ratings would take a hit, if starters were kept out of big meaningful games. The truth is no one wants to see a Tom Savage vs Brock Osweiler late season game. 

Who said anything about late season? I kinda think there would be an art to knowing when to bench your QB, for example if you have a terrible team in your division do you bench him twice and think you can still win with the backups? Surely the best way to do this would be to bench 1-2 starters every game rather than putting all your backups on the field at once.

25 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Who said anything about late season? I kinda think there would be an art to knowing when to bench your QB, for example if you have a terrible team in your division do you bench him twice and think you can still win with the backups? Surely the best way to do this would be to bench 1-2 starters every game rather than putting all your backups on the field at once.

Would you want to start your QB with any of the backup offensive linemen? Seems like you are asking for an injury and second guessing by everyone.

• 1 month later...

This is an interesting idea because we would all like to have more football.  The downside is that it would essentially water down the talent pool of the NFL by 4% during the weeks we do have games being played.  On the plus side, it would add another element of strategy to the game, which is a good thing.  The complexity of the game is why football has become my favorite sport.  I guess it depends on how the ratio of quantity vs. quality ends up working out.  If the product doesn't suffer too much, it might be worth it.

On 6/30/2018 at 7:13 PM, Wyld Stallyns said:

Well, if I’m an NFL owner. I’m not paying a QB $20-30 million to sit on the sidelines unless he’s hurt. 

That shouldn't really be a concern, because the owner is still getting 16 games a year out of his quarterback.  In this scenario, the owner would have what he already has, and also get the revenue for the extra two games.  The owners would come out ahead in this deal.

Archived