How will the 2018 rookies fare this year?

vike daddy

• Mike Hughes DB, Central Florida
  • Brian O'Neill T, Pittsburgh
  • Jalyn Holmes DE, Ohio State
  • Tyler Conklin TE, Central Michigan
  • Daniel Carlson K, Auburn
  •  Colby Gossett G, Appalachian State
  •  Ade Aruna DE, Tulane
  •  Devante Downs LB, California

how will our 2018 rookies be used this year? who starts? who sits, who's on the practice squad, who doesn't make the cuts?

The kicker should be great. He's been killing it so far and we're indoors.

I think Hughes will at least be good enough to beat out Alexander. He'll have his ups and down but grade out as an average nickel CB.

O'Neill seems like a total project, probably won't see him barring injury.

Holmes will have a few sacks on not much playing time.

The rest I have no clue.

I could see them all making it on the squad, but that may be because we lost some depth this past year.

I think Hughes sees time as the #4 and O'Neill as the primary backup at OT (although I'd rather not see him play at all this year)

So, the only starter is the Kicker.

I think Hughes will be better than Alexander even as a rookie, and will end up as the starting NCB sooner or later, even by week 1. He'll be the main returner too. 

O'Neill might be able to start as a rookie. They played Elflein last year despite him lacking play strength and losing one-on-ones, though that's less of a problem for a C than a tackle. I hope they don't play O'Neill before he's ready, whenever that is. 

I expect Holmes to be one of the main rotational pass rushers from DT in nickel packages. Robison was ineffective in that role last year, hopefully Holmes can do better. 

I don't think Conklin will do much as a rookie, but he should make the team and play a little in 2 TE sets. 

Carlson will be the kicker. 

I'm optimistic about Gossett's long term potential as a starter but he won't play this year unless Remmers gets hurt. I predict he ends up on the roster but typically as a healthy scratch. 

Aruna is a nice athletic project but he's older than Danielle Hunter and has zero technique, so I think he ends up on the practice squad unless he lights it up in preseason. 

Downs is hard to get a read on given the injury history. If he's healthy, he could make the team especially with Brothers getting suspended. 

For the undrafted rookies, I think these guys have a good chance to make the team: 

• Hill as a depth CB and special teamer
  • Zylstra as the backup to Treadwell and special teamer (main competition is Korey Robertson)
  • Boone as the RB3 (main competition is Roc Thomas or Mack Brown)

Other UDFA rookies with an outside chance include Badet and Wieneke (would have to beat out Coley), Needham and Dooley (would have to beat out Cliett and maybe Downs), and Chris Gonzalez (would have to beat out Collins and Andrews). 

Is it true that Hughes still has not been signed?  I think Carlson will be the only starter in 2018 out of this rookie class.

2 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I don't think any of the rookies will be overly impactful this season.  They are all 2+ year projects that could develop into something later.  I'm hoping the kicker will be good though.

I agree with this. Though I think Hughes will step in early as the dime CB, possibly move up to nickel. The rest of the picks just look like depth selections for 2018, except for Carlson who should be the opening day kicker.

The good news is that we kept enough of the team intact where rookies don't need to make an impact this year. In fact, some were probably drafted with the thought of taking over for more expensive veterans next year and beyond. That said, Hughes seems to be exceeding the coaching staff's expectations. I think he's our CB3 right away and he'll contribute in the return game. Carlson is the other rookie who will have a substantial impact. Holton Hill may supplant Newman and/or Alexander as CB4, and will most likely be a big contributor on kick coverage. 

The others will be depth or PS players. However, I suspect that in 2019 and 2020 we will see 6-8 of these draft picks/UDFA's as significant plus contributors. If that holds, then this draft class will be outstanding. 

On 7/3/2018 at 8:21 PM, vike daddy said:
  • Mike Hughes DB, Central Florida
  • Brian O'Neill T, Pittsburgh
  • Jalyn Holmes DE, Ohio State
  • Tyler Conklin TE, Central Michigan
  • Daniel Carlson K, Auburn
  •  Colby Gossett G, Appalachian State
  •  Ade Aruna DE, Tulane
  •  Devante Downs LB, California

how will our 2018 rookies be used this year? who starts? who sits, who's on the practice squad, who doesn't make the cuts?

Only Hughes and Carlson will have any impact this season.  And I fully expect that at least 2 of them (but likely all of the bottom 3 IMO) won't make the roster at all and will have to compete for a practice squad spot.  

Archived