Kawhi Leonard Traded to Toronto for DeMar DeRozan

J-ALL-DAY

25 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

lol ok. Your organization fired the coach of the year and somehow that move makes them better? He was the scapegoat for LeBron once again bending them over a chair...something that was inevitable. What exactly made Dwayne Casey fireable in your eyes?

Dwane Casey is still stuck in the stone age trying to push defense over everything else.  The offense was largely basic 1 on 1 situations where both DeRozen and Lowry's stats were padded by how much these guys were hogging the ball.  

Enter Nick Nurse who was tasked to transform the Raptors offense last off season with the same core group of players.  He weened DeRozan off from taking too many mid range jumpers to driving the ball more and taking more 3s.  Also took the ball away from Lowry and not let him play hero ball as much.  In total, DeRozan and Lowry scored 9.3 less points per game, but the Raptors scored net 4.8 more points per game.  That brought them from 10th to 3rd in the league in scoring and last in assists to 6th in the league.

That added efficiency in scoring was what lead the Raptors to 8 more wins.  It was Nurse that really deserved coach or the year, not Casey.  It was rumored, Nurse had even more plans to evolve the offense, but Casey shot down many of his ideas.  Now do I think Nurse is the next Phil Jackson?  No, not at all.  He simply transformed the Raptors offense to the style of the NBA is today.  But he obviously showed that he can get the most out of his players and is in tune to the modern NBA game.  He definitely good enough to be a coach in the NBA with potential to be great.  I personally like the signing.

Casey is still a good coach, but definitely isn't great.  He's a defense minded coach.  2016 playoffs, you lose to the Cavs.  Lebron plays well, but the Raptors were still getting better.  2017, there was much more focus on beating the Cavs, like signing Ibaka.  But instead the Cavs sweep with Lebron scoring 30+ in every game with only 1 game being kinda close.  2018, Casey didn't even have to focus on offense at all.  Just come up with a game plan on defense against the weakest Lebron lead Cavs team in recent history.  Raptors D did worse than the previous year.  That's why Casey was fired.  The one thing he was supposed to be good at and he failed with no signs of improvement.

I've never seen so many reports about a player that are conflicting, yet the player himself hasn't said any of these things.

As far as Leonard on the court is concern, I think he destroys it.  He'll be great and he has a massive chip on his shoulder.  The more I think about it, the more I can actually see Leonard staying with the Raptors and he probably should.

14 hours ago, showtime said:

Dejounte Murray has a lot of potential.  He is already an awesome defender and he will continue to progress under Popovich.

Yeah, I like Murray some too. Gotta develop him, but that could also lead to growing pains in the short-term.

Archived