Kawhi Leonard Traded to Toronto for DeMar DeRozan

J-ALL-DAY

Not sure if this was brought up already in the thread, but the Raptors need to consider starting a bidding war between the Clippers and the Lakers for Kawhi. They could potentially win the East, but lose in the Finals and then Kawhi walks and they start the rebuild. OR they could wait 60 days and get Tobias Harris/Avery Bradley/Sam Dekker + picks from Clippers which would incentivize the Lakers to offer Ingram/Hart/Picks. If Kawhi truly wants to play in LA regardless of team then the Lakers are obligated to make an offer vs. waiting for him to hit FA like they were doing before. Could turn out to be a brilliant play by their GM.

9 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Not sure if this was brought up already in the thread, but the Raptors need to consider starting a bidding war between the Clippers and the Lakers for Kawhi. They could potentially win the East, but lose in the Finals and then Kawhi walks and they start the rebuild. OR they could wait 60 days and get Tobias Harris/Avery Bradley/Sam Dekker + picks from Clippers which would incentivize the Lakers to offer Ingram/Hart/Picks. If Kawhi truly wants to play in LA regardless of team then the Lakers are obligated to make an offer vs. waiting for him to hit FA like they were doing before. Could turn out to be a brilliant play by their GM.

My guess is the Raps underwhelm by the halfway point (lets not forget we havent seen Kawhi play outside of Pop's system. He was one of rawest prospects ever before the Spurs got to him). At that point, they flip him for low cost high upside players. 

1 minute ago, Deadpulse said:

My guess is the Raps underwhelm by the halfway point (lets not forget we havent seen Kawhi play outside of Pop's system. He was one of rawest prospects ever before the Spurs got to him). At that point, they flip him for low cost high upside players. 

Pops system? What does that even mean? The Spurs had a completely different system the last year Kawhi played compared to when he got to the league. Heck, dude was THE system before he got hurt. 

24 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Pops system? What does that even mean? The Spurs had a completely different system the last year Kawhi played compared to when he got to the league. Heck, dude was THE system before he got hurt. 

Maybe that was a poor choice of words. I simply meant he has only played under Pop, one of GOATs of NBA coaches. By system, I just meant the way the Spurs operate, practice, coach, etc etc. They made Kawhi into what he is, Im curious to see how that translates to a different philosophy. 

Kawhi is a great talent regardless of where he plays. He's tuened himself into a great shooter, can isolate, come off screens and defend better than anyone in the league on the perimeter. That is going to translate anywhere he goes. 

Now, no doubt he was part of a great organization and coach in Pop. They are the gold standard in the league but apparently he waa getting sick and tired of how they do some of the things out there. Grass isn't always greener on the other side but he's willing to take that risk. 

39 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Now, no doubt he was part of a great organization and coach in Pop. They are the gold standard in the league but apparently he waa getting sick and tired of how they do some of the things out there. Grass isn't always greener on the other side but he's willing to take that risk. 

That's a little bit of why the concern should be there. He is spurning the process that made him great? Let me be clear though, I am in no way saying that I expect or even think its likely that he is not going to play at a top 10 level in Toronto. However, I do think it needs to be considered that elsewhere Kawhi could be less than Spurs Kawhi. 

1 hour ago, BStanRamFan said:

That’s what Colin Cowherd brought up yesterday on his show. Perhaps a bidding war between Clippers/Lakers will make LAL cough up one of their wings.

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

Go re watch Leonard highlight tape. He gets buckets in various ways. It aint flashy by any means but he creates his own shot with ease and is a great finisher. Defensively we know what he brings but people tend to forget how good of an offensive threat Leonard is. PnR, off ball screens, backdoor cuts to the rim, and turnaround jumpers from the block. Far from a system guy nowadays.

11 minutes ago, indifference said:

Go re watch Leonard highlight tape. He gets buckets in various ways. It aint flashy by any means but he creates his own shot with ease and is a great finisher. Defensively we know what he brings but people tend to forget how good of an offensive threat Leonard is. PnR, off ball screens, backdoor cuts to the rim, and turnaround jumpers from the block. Far from a system guy nowadays.

Really don't want to repeat myself, but I didnt mean on the court system. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

But that IS pops system. His ability to adapt to his players and always put a playoff team out there regardless of talent levels is what makes Pops one of the greatest ever. 

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

But that IS pops system. His ability to adapt to his players and always put a playoff team out there regardless of talent levels is what makes Pops one of the greatest ever. 

That makes no sense. How is it Pop's system when it is completely different than what the Spurs did for 10+ years? Pop's ability to adapt makes him a great coach, but Kawhi was THE system in 2016. That was how show and was the one making all the plays in close games. He will be dominant in Toronto or wherever he plays because he is just that damn good. 

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

J is pointing out that that team was very different than the 2014 Spurs who were swinging the ball and getting open shots. No Diaw, Parker and Green declined a ton, that team's roster talent was pretty bad. That's why in the last few years of the playoffs you saw them try to force feed Aldridge so much. Leonard developed a much more impactful individual skillset, and Popovich basically gave him a Durant-like green light with his shot selection because there's no other way that team can play competitive basketball.

11 hours ago, kyle21121 said:

Just gonna throw this out there. What about Lowry+ to Minny for Butler? Let’s get that rumour started. 

Wright, Butler, Kawhi, OG or Serge or Pascal, JV

I'm on board for that, but the money doesn't work really work.  

Archived