Kawhi Leonard Traded to Toronto for DeMar DeRozan

J-ALL-DAY

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

And you do that for the opportunity to re-sign Leonard and have a legitimate shot at getting to the finals, something that likely wasn't going to happen with Derozan. Poetl is going to be solid but that's it. He's not going to turn into this stud 28+ minute type of player. Will always be productive in a limited role. It's okay losing someone like that. The Raptors are likely to win 55+ games so that pick is going to be a low 1st rounder. Not ideal to lose a 1st, but losing Leonard also puts you in the lottery a year earlier than having Derozan would. So you lose a late 1st, but likely gain a 10+ difference in a 1st round pick even if Kawhi loses. This is worth the risk. Definitely won't be a colossal failure either way. 

I said I kinda like the trade and the reason for that is the reward (gives you a better chance next season to go to the finals/a chance at a top 5 player) out weigh the risks (losing Leonard/losing value). If it doesn't pan out though it is a pretty big loss and I really don't like the future for the Raptors if it does.

1 minute ago, seminoles1 said:

No one is going to trust the Cavs because of The Letter

No one is going to trust the Clippers because they traded Griffin

No one is going to trust the Spurs because they turned on their franchise player

Blah blah blah

I don't think I have ever heard of any of these. Maybe the Cavs. If you want a better example I'd use IT. 

My point is even if it isn't a massive hill it is still a slight problem for the Raptors and no one wants to go there anyway. 

4 hours ago, renndawg37 said:

And they get out of DeRozan's deal early even if Leonard leaves...with some damn good upcoming free agents (aka guys better than DeRozan)

The Raptors aren't getting any superstars with an aging Kyle Lowry as their lone "star." If Kawai leaves, they are right back to being irrelevant. I think they're ramping up their squad for a 2nd round exit, which will then be followed up with an off-season where their sole superstar walks away. The Raptors should have hit the full-scale reset button and shipped Lowry and DeRozan for future assets, not a 1 year rental. They aren't beating Boston and if they're somehow lucky enough to do that, they get to be obliterated by the Warriors in the finals. If I'm every team in the NBA, I'm trying to get younger and acquire future assets. Because nobody is beating GSW until the league or free agency breaks them apart.

Also, the Raptors overachieved due to having a great coach. I'm not sure how anyone would view their HC switch as a positive for them.

Oh, and I don't think teams are avoiding the Raptors in FA because they weren't loyal to DeRozan. I think that argument sucks too, @seminoles1. People will avoid Toronto because it's Toronto and they aren't a legitimate title contender. It's very rare that a superstar chases the money nowadays. Most guys are re-signing with their teams or joining a team with 2-3 other existing stars.`

5 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

The Raptors aren't getting any superstars with an aging Kyle Lowry as their lone "star." If Kawai leaves, they are right back to being irrelevant. I think they're ramping up their squad for a 2nd round exit, which will then be followed up with an off-season where their sole superstar walks away. The Raptors should have hit the full-scale reset button and shipped Lowry and DeRozan for future assets, not a 1 year rental. They aren't beating Boston and if they're somehow lucky enough to do that, they get to be obliterated by the Warriors in the finals. If I'm every team in the NBA, I'm trying to get younger and acquire future assets. Because nobody is beating GSW until the league or free agency breaks them apart.

Also, the Raptors overachieved due to having a great coach. I'm not sure how anyone would view their HC switch as a positive for them.

Oh, and I don't think teams are avoiding the Raptors in FA because they weren't loyal to DeRozan. I think that argument sucks too, @seminoles1. People will avoid Toronto because it's Toronto and they aren't a legitimate title contender. It's very rare that a superstar chases the money nowadays. Most guys are re-signing with their teams or joining a team with 2-3 other existing stars.`

Dwane Casey was far from a "great" coach. I love how you can see the future as well. The Raptors could very well beat the Celtics this year...

10 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

hmm

6 hours ago, renndawg37 said:

Dwane Casey was far from a "great" coach. I love how you can see the future as well. The Raptors could very well beat the Celtics this year...

Assuming both the Raptors and Celtics are healthy, I suppose the Raptors COULD win, but I very much doubt it.  The Celtics are just a much better team and they have a much better coach.

56 minutes ago, showtime said:

Assuming both the Raptors and Celtics are healthy, I suppose the Raptors COULD win, but I very much doubt it.  The Celtics are just a much better team and they have a much better coach.

Yeah, I think the Raps have a good shot of being ahead of Philly, and part of that is the health of their young stars. Boston is going to be so good....

12 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Yeah, I think the Raps have a good shot of being ahead of Philly, and part of that is the health of their young stars. Boston is going to be so good....

Agreed.  The 76ers and Raptors series would be great to watch.  The one thing about the 76ers is that Simmons and Embiid are so young, so as great as those two guys are now - they'll continue to get even better.  Especially Simmons.  He has only played one season in the NBA, so I expect his game, mind and body to continue to progress.

The Bucks will be a tough out as well.

6 hours ago, showtime said:

Agreed.  The 76ers and Raptors series would be great to watch.  The one thing about the 76ers is that Simmons and Embiid are so young, so as great as those two guys are now - they'll continue to get even better.  Especially Simmons.  He has only played one season in the NBA, so I expect his game, mind and body to continue to progress.

The Bucks will be a tough out as well.

Should be able to see two series between some combination of the celtics, 6ers and raptors next postseason should be good watches. 

On 7/20/2018 at 5:54 AM, renndawg37 said:

lol ok. Your organization fired the coach of the year and somehow that move makes them better? He was the scapegoat for LeBron once again bending them over a chair...something that was inevitable. What exactly made Dwayne Casey fireable in your eyes?

I mean it is a tough business, but they were the least challenging opponent for the Cavaliers in back to back years in the playoffs. Like this Cavs team was pretty damn mediocre compared to their prior squads, and yet they STILL got swept? And got blown out twice? Same Cavaliers team that went life and death with Indiana and a short handed Boston team? I have no idea how good of a coach Nurse is, but most knew either the core had to be different next season or they needed a change at head coach.......Well, they ended up changing both the core and the HC, but at that time they didn't know it was going to be possible to get someone like Leonard. 

Archived