Kawhi Leonard Traded to Toronto for DeMar DeRozan

J-ALL-DAY

Just now, renndawg37 said:

I agree with you. Just the way you said it was hilarious. Like “my tor team is so slept on! We the north will show them all how wrong they are! Kawhi “exodia” Obliterate.despite you guys getting your Arses kicked these last 3 years with the worse star in the NBA in dekobe. 

Like how is chris brussard a paid journalist!? 

Dude is a real life troll. 

9 minutes ago, BillsGuy82 said:

How so? If Kawhi bolts after this season we have DD money available to throw at a UFA and JV I believe will be off the books after this season.

Options are a beautiful thing 

jonas has a player option, he'll 100% be opting to i'd think. between lowry, serge, jonas, powell, fvv, cj miles that's over $102m in money.. options are a beautiful thing. it's not something Toronto really has. 

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, what exactly are they going to dangle in a rebuild?  Kyle Lowry is due a crap ton of money, and Jonas V isn't very valuable either. 

Lowry, Jonas and CJ Miles all become expiring contracts next year (assuming the latter two pick up their POs and the Raps go into a full rebuild in 2019). Worst case, they keep them on the books to hit the salary floor and tank. Not a horrible position to be in.

2 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Lowry, Jonas and CJ Miles all become expiring contracts next year (assuming the latter two pick up their POs and the Raps go into a full rebuild in 2019). Worst case, they keep them on the books to hit the salary floor and tank. Not a horrible position to be in.

I mean, anticipating Kyle Lowry or Jonas Valanciunas to opt out of their contract seems far unlikely.  Kyle Lowry isn't going to get that kind of salary, and I'm not sure Jonas V does either.  Even if Kawhi walks next offseason, they're still a fringe playoff team in the East.

"One thing I was told last night is that Kawhi Leonard had already been planning out his free agency for next year and he had already been in contact with other star players in the league and saying 'Hey, where might you want to play with me? What are we looking at?'

"It wasn't just L.A. he was talking about," added Arthur. "Brooklyn was maybe somewhere. They're going to have a ton of cap space. That might have been a possibility.

"So Kawhi has already been thinking ahead to pairing up and playing at a highest level."

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/250759/Kawhi-Leonard-Reportedly-Talking-To-Other-Stars-About-2019-Free-Agency-Plans

Kyrie/Kawhi in Brooklyn would be fire. 

11 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

But I thought that Kawhi didn't want to play for a super team?

I don't think that was what was said in that particular report. I think it was he didn't to join a super team as he felt he could attract other stars to play alongside him. I could be wrong, but that's how I took Stephen A Smith's report. But either way, him not playing for a super team is unlikely. Either he plays with LeBron in LA, or with someone like Kyrie in Brooklyn or where ever. I guess if he re-signs with the Raptors then that wouldn't be a super team. 

22 minutes ago, BillsGuy82 said:

LA is a heavily taxed dump of a city where citizens live in a out of touch bubble.

I guess the Lakers prestige is a win over Raptors but.... 

Leonard is also from Southern California.  Also, your tax argument is valid in most cases, but not this one.  Leonard doesn't strike me as someone who cares about any of that.  He just walked away from roughly $80 million by not staying in San Antonio, so you can't really make an argument about tax money.

Also, it's been documented that Leonard drives a 1997 Blazer (or something like that) and still uses coupons when he goes out to eat.  Lol.

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I don't think that was what was said in that particular report. I think it was he didn't to join a super team as he felt he could attract other stars to play alongside him. I could be wrong, but that's how I took Stephen A Smith's report. But either way, him not playing for a super team is unlikely. Either he plays with LeBron in LA, or with someone like Kyrie in Brooklyn or where ever. I guess if he re-signs with the Raptors then that wouldn't be a super team. 

I think the main thing that is unknown does Leonard want to be the best player on a team.  That's the key on whether he goes to the Lakers or not.  I'm assuming he doesn't really care about that otherwise the Lakers obviously wouldn't be an option (unless he thinks he's the best player in the league).  I just bring that up because if he went to pretty much any other team, he would be the best player on said team.

19 minutes ago, showtime said:

Leonard is also from Southern California.  Also, your tax argument is valid in most cases, but not this one.  Leonard doesn't strike me as someone who cares about any of that.  He just walked away from roughly $80 million by not staying in San Antonio, so you can't really make an argument about tax money.

Also, it's been documented that Leonard drives a 1997 Blazer (or something like that) and still uses coupons when he goes out to eat.  Lol.

how do those ideas paint the picture of the same person? He doesn't spend money (presumably to save it) but he is gonna turn down like $30 million over 5 years(that is just a guess, probably is more)? You would think someone so cheap wouldn't easily turn down that much money.

Just now, 11sanchez11 said:

how do those ideas paint the picture of the same person? He doesn't spend money (presumably to save it) but he is gonna turn down like $30 million over 5 years(that is just a guess, probably is more)? You would think someone so cheap wouldn't easily turn down that much money.

Yes, it is odd.  I think it speaks more to - He wants what he wants and money isn't going to be a determining factor in his final decision making process.  And also, he probably has enough money saved to where he can walk away from so much money and still be content.

4 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

The Raptors had the best record in the East last year and just switched Demar for Kawhi. I would take the Raps over Philly for sure and it would be a great series between them and BOS.

The 76ers and the Celtics were extremely young teams last year. Those squads have young players ready to take the next step into stardom. The Raptors players are maxed out and I don't really see any young ascending player on their roster that could become stars. Oh, and consider the fact that Kyrie Irving and Gordon Hayward were out last season for Boston. They're clearly better with those two in the lineup. Remember how the Celtics pushed the Cavs to a game 7 without their two superstars? And how the Cavs turned Toronto into a "sexy time" cleanup rag? Toronto also lost one of the best coaches in the league last year because they needed a scapegoat for overachieving apparently.

I'd put money, that barring significant injuries to any of the three teams, that Toronto has a worse record than Boston or Philly.

Archived