Kawhi Leonard Traded to Toronto for DeMar DeRozan

J-ALL-DAY

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Ingram was never actually mentioned as being off the table, it was reported that he was never formally offered and that the Spurs coveted him.  But beyond that, nothing.  And Kuzma was reported to be "off the table" by Stephen A. Smith (not a reputable source) and around the same time the Lakers agreed to sign Rajon Rondo, at which point the Lakers couldn't make salaries work without including Luol Deng.  The Spurs had made that a non-starter.

yes, if we agree to believe everything that makes the Lakers look good and not believe everything that does the opposite the Lakers would be infallible in the fans' POV.

can't believe the Lakers and Bron wasted one of the few dominant years Bron has left smh

1 minute ago, 11sanchez11 said:

so you watch a bunch of 76ers games because it is meaningless? 

You're putting words in my mouth. A move to swing for the fences is meaningless if you can't get over the hump still. A conference title is nice, but it's still just a silver lining. The Raptors won't win now, and they're limiting themselves moving forward. The Sixers won't win now, but there's still a shot moving forward. Apples to oranges.

I think Ujiri had given up on the Lowry/DeRozan core and saw a great opportunity to dump DeRozan. Must not have valued Poeltl that much either. Surely they realized the risk when making this trade that there is a very real chance Kawhi just doesn't suit up and then bounces for LA next year?

If Kawhi is playing though, the East will be a bit more interesting and they could definitely make it out. Sure, it'd only be to get squashed by GS, but making your first NBA finals has to count for something and further cement the fan base.

26 minutes ago, Danger said:

You're putting words in my mouth. A move to swing for the fences is meaningless if you can't get over the hump still. A conference title is nice, but it's still just a silver lining. The Raptors won't win now, and they're limiting themselves moving forward. The Sixers won't win now, but there's still a shot moving forward. Apples to oranges.

How do you figure? In the NBA, anything is better than being mired in the endless span of mediocrity that Toronto was. I don't know if this puts them over the edge and into title contention, but they had to do something different. The worst place to be in the league is good, but not good enough to actually win anything of substance. The Raptors saw this as an opportunity to add a guy who at his best is a top 5 player in the league, and if that lends itself to making a Finals appearance, that's more than they have accomplished in the history of their entire franchise. Past that, regardless of the level of success they achieve this upcoming season, if Kawhi chooses to leave in free agency, it easily sets them up for a full rebuild with nearly $33M coming off the books between Kawhi and Danny Green; possibly even more depending on whether or not guys like JoVal and CJ Miles pick up their player options. From my perspective Toronto is sitting in a great spot at the moment, regardless of anything else that happens after this point forward.

2 minutes ago, indifference said:

Duh and thats only because the play in the East. 

Nah, they are just better period. Have a much deeper bench and play better as a unit than the Thunder did. The Raptors with Kawhi would have finished with a higher seed than the Thunder last year. 

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Nah, they are just better period. Have a much deeper bench and play better as a unit than the Thunder did. The Raptors with Kawhi would have finished with a higher seed than the Thunder last year. 

I got OKC beating TOR 2-0 head to head in this season. I know their bench is better but PG and Russ would be a top 3 seed if they played in the East too. Raptors play real competition they fold like lawn chairs. Miss me with the hype. 

3 minutes ago, indifference said:

I got OKC beating TOR 2-0 head to head in this season. I know their bench is better but PG and Russ would be a top 3 seed if they played in the East too. Raptors play real competition they fold like lawn chairs. Miss me with the hype. 

This was in response to the Raptors being better than what OKC was last season.

OKC should be better than they were last season, but that wasn't the question.

Zach Lowe said that if the Raptors still feel like Kawhi Leonard is not going to re-sign there (which is what the reports are right now) by Thanksgiving, they could try to flip him to the Lakers or Clippers.

This should make Lakers or Clipper fans very excited.  Leonard isn't going to re-sign in Toronto, so it looks like he really will end up in Los Angeles.

9 minutes ago, showtime said:

Zach Lowe said that if the Raptors still feel like Kawhi Leonard is not going to re-sign there (which is what the reports are right now) by Thanksgiving, they could try to flip him to the Lakers or Clippers.

This should make Lakers or Clipper fans very excited.  Leonard isn't going to re-sign in Toronto, so it looks like he really will end up in Los Angeles.

I mean, Toronto is going to get even less in return than San Antonio got if they wait until the deadline.  They're just going to wait and see if he's willing to pass up more guaranteed money.

20 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Raptors are still the 3rd best team in the East. 

The Raptors had the best record in the East last year and just switched Demar for Kawhi. I would take the Raps over Philly for sure and it would be a great series between them and BOS.

Archived