Kawhi Leonard Traded to Toronto for DeMar DeRozan

J-ALL-DAY

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

As for no pressure from the Lakers to trade for him? Sure there was, the pressure of missing out on him next season if he re-signs with Toronto or signs with the Clippers.

So what? All due respect, but since when did the NBA sun rise and set with Leonard? If in 2019 he stay with TOR or goes to another team - okay. Fine. The LAL will still have an excellent negotiating position for a different top line player (or two) - plus a more experienced young core of players and all their draft picks.

3 minutes ago, kyle21121 said:

Hmm. Haven’t really thought about it and can’t really at this point I do apologize and obviously wouldn’t happen this year but perhaps something to look at in a year or so. Gotta keep Issac and Bomba or course but yea I’d start with Fournier and pick(s)?

Ty. You know his value better than anyone so I was just curious.

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

So what? All due respect, but since when did the NBA sun rise and set with Leonard? If in 2019 he stay with TOR or goes to another team - okay. Fine. The LAL will still have an excellent negotiating position for a different top line player (or two) - plus a more experienced young core of players and all their draft picks.

Cool....Now tell me where I said otherwise?

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

What wasn't true? You didn't address one thing I said. So did the Lakers offer Ingram yes or no? Exactly, they didn't so don't say the Spurs had no intention of doing a deal with them.

Posturing by both sides is exactly what it was. Are you denying that?

I don't care what other teams were or were not offering. I do know the Lakers were not offering Ingram. So don't give this BS that the Spurs wouldn't deal with the Lakers if they didn't get the entire house. 

As for no pressure from the Lakers to trade for him? Sure there was, the pressure of missing out on him next season if he re-signs with Toronto or signs with the Clippers. 

And the last thing we heard was Kuzma was off the table as well. So the Lakers basically gave up any chance they had to trade for Kawhi. Maybe they did think they will sign him next season and didn't want to break up the core. That's fine, but that's a totally different argument. 

I think the Lakers and Spurs a variation of offers, some that included Brandon Ingram and those that didn't.  No, I don't think the Lakers ever made a formal offer with Brandon Ingram involved in the deal.  But when the report got out that the Sixers and Celtics weren't willing to include any of their young assets, the Lakers had no intention of dealing Brandon Ingram.  You say you don't care, but it's actually relevant.  You pay the market price.  As I've said, the whole Kuzma being untouchable seems unlikely.

Toronto is different than it was when Vince was here. I'm not saying that Kawhi will stay, but with the state of the US right now (without getting into politics) Toronto isn't a bad spot - it's being sold short. Demar was a Cali boy too and ended up calling Toronto home for a while. 

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

Pretty much.  Even if Kawhi opts to re-sign with Toronto, you move onto Kyrie, Klay, and Jimmy Butler.

Because you keeping up this narrative that the Lakers need Kawhi this offseason.  They didn't.  They're a playoff team as is, and they're not a real title contender even if they swapped Ingram for a healthy Kawhi.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Because you keeping up this narrative that the Lakers need Kawhi this offseason.  They didn't.  They're a playoff team as is, and they're not a real title contender even if they swapped Ingram for a healthy Kawhi.

I don't believe this one bit.

Just now, CWood21 said:

I think the Lakers and Spurs a variation of offers, some that included Brandon Ingram and those that didn't.  No, I don't think the Lakers ever made a formal offer with Brandon Ingram involved in the deal.  But when the report got out that the Sixers and Celtics weren't willing to include any of their young assets, the Lakers had no intention of dealing Brandon Ingram.  You say you don't care, but it's actually relevant.  You pay the market price.  As I've said, the whole Kuzma being untouchable seems unlikely.

Maybe it was unlikely, but clearly something happened where the trade talks went nowhere. Could be the Lakers took Kuzma off the table for now and would have included him at a later time. I don't know, but multiple people reported he was off the table two weeks ago.

And now you are arguing that there was no reason to trade Ingram since Philly/Boston wasn't going to send some of their best assets, yet your initial premise was the Spurs had no intention of trading Kawhi to the Lakers. So what is it? And what are you trying to argue? Again, for the last time, don't tell me they had no intention of trading him to the Lakers when Ingram wasn't made available. Also, don't tell me the Lakers wanted to entire house for Kawhi after seeing what they settled for with the Raptors.

No, no....not hassling you personally. I've not been reading each and every comment about this. Just responded to that aspect of your comment. T'sall good. I would have liked to had Leonard - no doubt - but I just didnt want to forfeit the future. The LAL organization has just gotten itself repositioned (from Buss Jr days) and are in a good position moving forward (now that we're out from under Kobe's stranglehold contracts). Now...if we could get rid of the one bad contract on the books.....then we can start to deal again. I see them as being on the cusp of becoming competitive again. Work to do certainly - but I didnt want to give it all up for one guy. 

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I didn't say the Lakers need Kawhi this offseason, just that they could eliminate all risks of losing him next season by making a move for him. I don't know if they are a title contender with Kawhi or not, but sure do know they would be better than what they are now. And you have LeBron/Kawhi on a team together with other good young athletes/defenders? Yeah, that's a tough out for anyone, including the Warriors.

1 minute ago, Leader said:

No, no....not hassling you personally. I've not been reading each and every comment about this. Just responded to that aspect of your comment. T'sall good. I would have liked to had Leonard - no doubt - but I just didnt want to forfeit the future. The LAL organization has just gotten itself repositioned (from Buss Jr days) and are in a good position moving forward (now that we're out from under Kobe's stranglehold contracts). Now...if we could get rid of the one bad contract on the books.....then we can start to deal again. I see them as being on the cusp of becoming competitive again. Work to do certainly - but I didnt want to give it all up for one guy. 

Got you. 

1 hour ago, Danger said:

It's pretty silly for Toronto to make this move.

They traded away DeRozan for Leonard who is almost assuredly leaving after this season for nothing. Everyone knows that the Warriors are going to win the title this year, so your one year out of Leonard is the biggest throwaway season in recent memory for 29 teams. You could have kept DeRozan (realized you were going to need to rebuild in early 2020) and traded him at the appropriate time to start your rebuild off on a good footing, but no the Raptors mortgaged their future in one of the WORST years to do so. 

How in the world did Toronto mortgage their future?

Just now, CWood21 said:
5 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I don't believe this one bit.

For the first time since the Warriors became a super team, we saw a team push the Warriors the brink.  The Lakers aren't quite the Rockets.

The Rockets aren't quite the Rockets either unless they retain Capela. 

I don't see how Lebron and Kawhi, along with the other pieces the Lakers have with Ball, Hart, KCP, Rondo etc wouldn't be able to at least compete with GS. 

Archived