Kawhi Leonard Traded to Toronto for DeMar DeRozan

J-ALL-DAY

Just now, CWood21 said:

I guess we will find out a year from now.

Let me have today. I get it there is less than a 10% chance he resigns but if everything goes accordingly those could improve and it could turn into more of a 50/50 proposition but of course it could all go bad. I realize the risk and am can live with it. 

Just now, kyle21121 said:

Let me have today. I get it there is less than a 10% chance he resigns but if everything goes accordingly those could improve and it could turn into more of a 50/50 proposition but of course it could all go bad. I realize the risk and am can live with it. 

Trust me, I think this was a deal that Toronto had to make.  I know I've said that I thought they were the 3rd best team in the East before the Kawhi trade.  They're up there with Boston and Philadelphia with a healthy Kawhi.  The Raptors topped out last year IMO.

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

No.  I don't think the Lakers had any real interest in handing Brandon Ingram to the Spurs, but I also don't think they would have taken him completely off the table.  The next rumor was that the Lakers made Kuzma untouchable in a Kawhi deal, which smells like posturing from the Lakers'.  It doesn't make sense.  The Spurs had ZERO interest in making a deal with the Lakers.  The Spurs' house offer included Brandon Ingram.

No, it makes complete sense. Both sides were posturing. Lakers by offering very little, and the Spurs demanding everything. In a typical negotiation, you meet in the middle. You can't say the Spurs had no intention of trading him to the Lakers when they didn't make Ingram available. IF he was available and the Spurs still turned it down for the Raptors deal, then I would agree with you. But we know that is not what happened. 

11 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

His DBPM for the season was quite good.

That's fine, was still unplayable against the Cavs and got destroyed in the high pick and roll. Not even saying he's a bad player or anything, but completely MEH at losing him for Kawhi. They didn't have to give up the other top young talent, big win for the Raptors. 

I’ve been on several different quote chains I think I’ve touched base with everyone. I want to add one more thing I think I missed re: Poeltl. Yes he was an abomination against the Cavs in the playoffs he looked shook I couldn’t really believe it was him out there doing nothing of what he did in the regular season I don’t think it’s a fair representation of him as a player as most of the team looked so bad vs Cleveland but you can interpret that how you will. For most of the season he a key player and looked dominant on both ends of the court at times. I think he could be very very good in San Antonio. 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

No, it makes complete sense. Both sides were posturing. Lakers by offering very little, and the Spurs demanding everything. In a typical negotiation, you meet in the middle. You can't say the Spurs had no intention of trading him to the Lakers when they didn't make Ingram available. IF he was available and the Spurs still turned it down for the Raptors deal, then I would agree with you. But we know that is not what happened. 

That's not even close to true.  The report was that Boston wasn't willing to consider Tatum or Brown and that the Sixers weren't willing to deal Markelle Fultz in a Kawhi deal.  So if the two biggest reported suitors for Kawhi weren't offering their best asset, why should the Lakers?  I mean, the report was that the Spurs wanted two players (probably Covington and Saric) along with 3 picks (let's assume the PHI '19 FRP, MIA '21 FRP, and PHI '21 FRP).  I mean, is that deal clearly that much better than an Ingram-based offer?  No.  And the Sixers reportedly turned down that package.  Supposedly Boston and Philadelphia's offers were pick-heavy, which probably had protections if Kawhi opted to go elsewhere after the season.  So you're the Lakers, you know that the Celtics aren't dealing Tatum/Brown and the Sixers aren't dealing Fultz, why would you even entertain the idea of moving Brandon Ingram?  You already feel pretty confident he'll sign with you a year from now.  There was no pressure from the Lakers to move him.

43 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I don't think San Antonio really ever had any true intentions of negotiating with the Lakers.  If there was any truth to the rumors that they asked for Ingram, Kuzma, and multiple picks, this is a HUGE difference in trades.

If these rumors were true - I'm glad the LAL took a pass. I may like Leonard - but he's not worth gutting an entire roster for. Thats not a plan for success IMO.  So he'll go to TOR and we'll see what happens in 2019. In the interim the LAL have a core of young talent to develop into a winning group.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

That's not even close to true.  The report was that Boston wasn't willing to consider Tatum or Brown and that the Sixers weren't willing to deal Markelle Fultz in a Kawhi deal.  So if the two biggest reported suitors for Kawhi weren't offering their best asset, why should the Lakers?  I mean, the report was that the Spurs wanted two players (probably Covington and Saric) along with 3 picks (let's assume the PHI '19 FRP, MIA '21 FRP, and PHI '21 FRP).  I mean, is that deal clearly that much better than an Ingram-based offer?  No.  And the Sixers reportedly turned down that package.  Supposedly Boston and Philadelphia's offers were pick-heavy, which probably had protections if Kawhi opted to go elsewhere after the season.  So you're the Lakers, you know that the Celtics aren't dealing Tatum/Brown and the Sixers aren't dealing Fultz, why would you even entertain the idea of moving Brandon Ingram?  You already feel pretty confident he'll sign with you a year from now.  There was no pressure from the Lakers to move him.

What wasn't true? You didn't address one thing I said. So did the Lakers offer Ingram yes or no? Exactly, they didn't so don't say the Spurs had no intention of doing a deal with them.

Posturing by both sides is exactly what it was. Are you denying that?

I don't care what other teams were or were not offering. I do know the Lakers were not offering Ingram. So don't give this BS that the Spurs wouldn't deal with the Lakers if they didn't get the entire house. 

As for no pressure from the Lakers to trade for him? Sure there was, the pressure of missing out on him next season if he re-signs with Toronto or signs with the Clippers. 

And the last thing we heard was Kuzma was off the table as well. So the Lakers basically gave up any chance they had to trade for Kawhi. Maybe they did think they will sign him next season and didn't want to break up the core. That's fine, but that's a totally different argument. 

2 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

@kyle21121 what do you think the Magic would need to give the Spurs for DeRo?

not going to happen probably, just hypothetical.

Fournier + ? 

Hmm. Haven’t really thought about it and can’t really at this point I do apologize and obviously wouldn’t happen this year but perhaps something to look at in a year or so. Gotta keep Issac and Bomba or course but yea I’d start with Fournier and pick(s)?

4 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Lmao this dude wants to be in LA so he fakes an injury and sits out all year....then Pop ships him not even to another state but to another damn country hahaha

TidyDamagedCapybara-size_restricted.gif

A freaking GREAT city though. Toronto is legit one of my favorite cities I've been in. Not bad at all, only thing is he is a born and bread Cali boy and then went to SA, so he's not going to like Toronto in the winter time AT ALL. 

Archived