Training Camp 2018

big_palooka

Raiders camp Day 6 rookie report: The thinking goes something like this…if Arden Key avoids any off-the-field missteps, he could be the steal of the draft for the Raiders. Wednesday, in one-on-one drills, Key showed his pass-rushing ability when the third-rounder used a devastating left jab step before utilizing a quick spin move to blow by first-rounder Kolton Miller at left tackle. Call it a teaching moment for both rookies. “Arden Key is a hell of a player, too,” said defensive end Bruce Irvin. “Long, athletic. He’s a really natural rusher. He reminds me a lot of the old 99 (Aldon Smith) that was here. If he keeps his head on straight, which he will, he’s going to be a hell of a player and a hell of a player for the Raiders. Can’t wait to see what he’s going to do this year.”

From Paul G. Key sure is a bright spot thus far. Fingers crossed he can do it for real.

54 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

He stood up Calhoun in 1 on 1's. Hardly a head turner. Don't add narrative to one training camp tweet. Literally last practice someone tweeted that he's been unnoticed all camp and not standing out. 

Was going to say the same thing. By all indications he's the 3rd team LT. And that's with Penn out. It would seem that Parker has replaced him as this coaching staff's project OT

On 31/07/2018 at 6:52 AM, Humble_Beast said:
On 31/07/2018 at 6:42 AM, SilverNBlackFan said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/30/maybe-the-raiders-should-trade-khalil-mack/amp/

I've had a bad feeling about Mack for a while now. I dont see this holdout ending anytime soon,  and I hope Gruden doesn't lose his crap and makes a dumb trade.

STUPID... MACK has been the FRANCHISE since he was draft, and this is coming from a big Carr homer. (We both went to Fresno State at the same time).. Carr was in the running in 2016 until the injury but the rest of his career has been up and down.... Mack has dominated since Day 1 and entering his prime... I read we have 44 M in cap space in 2019, with most of our starters signed excluding(Melvin, Cook, DJ, Lynch, Bryant,  Gilchrist, Edwards) and we could easily free up money by cutting Penn, Gabe Jackson( good player but 10M rather have Mack), Jelly, Jordy, Carrier, L Smith, S Roberts if we really want more cap space for big extensions to Mack and Cooper

No, it's not stupid. Carr is by far the most important player and he's got his deal. Mack is an elite defensive player but if the FO just cave in to his agents whims they set a very dangerous and expensive precedent. Trust Reggie to play the game and get a deal done - Mack has a 5th year option and we've got the franchise tag as options too (albeit not preferable ones) I'd prefer an early deal to get him in camp and as the market rate will no doubt go up with Donald and with increases in the cap etc. if we're looking into next season but we can't just capitulate either or every half decent player will hold us to ransom. 

9 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Raiders camp Day 6 rookie report: The thinking goes something like this…if Arden Key avoids any off-the-field missteps, he could be the steal of the draft for the Raiders. Wednesday, in one-on-one drills, Key showed his pass-rushing ability when the third-rounder used a devastating left jab step before utilizing a quick spin move to blow by first-rounder Kolton Miller at left tackle. Call it a teaching moment for both rookies. “Arden Key is a hell of a player, too,” said defensive end Bruce Irvin. “Long, athletic. He’s a really natural rusher. He reminds me a lot of the old 99 (Aldon Smith) that was here. If he keeps his head on straight, which he will, he’s going to be a hell of a player and a hell of a player for the Raiders. Can’t wait to see what he’s going to do this year.”

From Paul G. Key sure is a bright spot thus far. Fingers crossed he can do it for real.

Really good to hear this news. I was concerned with the immaturity of Arden Key after the draft but he doesn't seem like a bad individual just young and maybe a bit naive. Could be a very useful rotational pass rusher and the impact will be very beneficial across the whole D.

Has anyone got any news on how our young interior guys like Hurst, Hester and Hall are doing?? I know Hall has been on PUP for a few days but it would be hugely encouraging if they are making some waves at camp...........

13 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:
VerifMore

I don’t want to overstate this, but Arden Key has looked downright unblockable. Got inside pressure on Kolton Miller and has made Jylan Ware his tackling dummy three times. His handfighting is superb and his bend is lethal. #Raiders Levi Damien

Yeah a raw rookie LT and a raw 2nd year former 7th rounder...don't get too hyped up just yet...

It is great that he is focusing on football and he find a great mentor in Irvin! He should be able to help us win games as a rotational piece, but don't jump the gun and crown him before an actual NFL game under his belt...

It's not against you HB, more against the media folks, who talk him up like he is already an All Pro...

17 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:
VerifMore

I don’t want to overstate this, but Arden Key has looked downright unblockable. Got inside pressure on Kolton Miller and has made Jylan Ware his tackling dummy three times. His handfighting is superb and his bend is lethal. #Raiders Levi Damien

So Ware done turning heads now? 

7 hours ago, big_palooka said:

So Ware done turning heads now? 

As a Raiders fan you should know that training camp is sometimes the most excitement we get as fans.  Sometimes it carries over to the season, sometimes it doesn’t, so don’t take away the little things that we as Raider fans have to be excited about.

FYI, I’m mostly being sarcastic, but sadly it is also true.

3 hours ago, daineraider said:

As a Raiders fan you should know that training camp is sometimes the most excitement we get as fans.  Sometimes it carries over to the season, sometimes it doesn’t, so don’t take away the little things that we as Raider fans have to be excited about.

FYI, I’m mostly being sarcastic, but sadly it is also true.

I was just calling out humble for basically stretching a narrative on Ware on 1 rep. He said he was turning heads, which was 100% his own opinion based one tweet about winning a rep against Calhoun.

I won't knock stuff that isn't fabricated. 

51 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I was just calling out humble for basically stretching a narrative on Ware on 1 rep. He said he was turning heads, which was 100% his own opinion based one tweet about winning a rep against Calhoun.

I won't knock stuff that isn't fabricated. 

In his defense that was Levi Damien's tweet. But I agree. Sounds like Key has shown good bend and flexibility. But the competition should not be overlooked at this point. 

Raiders Rookie thoughts?

Kolton Miller- has been filling in for Penn with the starters.. Has earned praised, interested to see how he plays in preseason

PJ Hall- barely coming back from injury, made his presence felt as soon as he came back according to beat writers

Arden Key- so far looking like a steal

Brandon Parker- has been hurt, RT spot is for the taking too

Nick Nelson- have heard much about him, think he was hurt too

Johnny Townsend - has looked good according to reports

Maurice Hurst- haven't heard much about him

Azeem Victor- haven't heard much from him

Marcel Ateman- has been making noise everyday at practice

Undrafted:

Looks like Eddy Pineiro has a good chance of winning that starting kicker spot

Chris Warren has had some moments

Saeed Blacknall making plays too

On 8/2/2018 at 1:44 AM, Darbsk said:

Mack is an elite defensive player but if the FO just cave in to his agents whims they set a very dangerous and expensive precedent. 

You mean paying a defensive mvp more than almost every other defensive player in the league? That precedent has already been set. You're understating how good Mack is. He's not just elite, he's one of the top couple defensive players in the league and has consistently been competing for THE best defensive player in the league. 

Unfortunately for the raiders pockets, his agents actually have a couple legs to stand on when demanding outrageous money's.

4 hours ago, NickButera said:

You mean paying a defensive mvp more than almost every other defensive player in the league? That precedent has already been set. You're understating how good Mack is. He's not just elite, he's one of the top couple defensive players in the league and has consistently been competing for THE best defensive player in the league. 

Unfortunately for the raiders pockets, his agents actually have a couple legs to stand on when demanding outrageous money's.

I see what you're saying NB but there's paying Mack what he's worth and there's paying what his agent thinks he can get away with................2 totally different things. I'm not saying we shouldn't pay Mack what he's worth - and we don't know if or what we've even offered yet but the consensus here just seem to be "just pay the man and get it over with" line of thinking which I think is very dangerous long term and could hamstring us. I trust Reggie to get this worked out and fair to both parties, I think it'll just take a little time. 

Archived