CB Darrelle Revis announces retirement

TheKillerNacho

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

Question - does anyone remember a player going from elite to liability so quickly? It just seems like one day Revis woke up ...and was suddenly not good. 

Scrabble did the same the year after he left Oakland.

We'll see how Sherman does this year after coming back from the achilles injury and changing schemes.

Just now, ET80 said:

Question - does anyone remember a player going from elite to liability so quickly? It just seems like one day Revis woke up ...and was suddenly not good. 

That's not that uncommon with corners in their 30s. 

1 minute ago, bucsfan333 said:

Scrabble did the same the year after he left Oakland.

My theory is that Scrabble was never as good as the metrics indicated - he simply wasn't thrown to because the other 10 players on that Oakland D we're not even CFL-replacement level good. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

That's not that uncommon with corners in their 30s. 

Maybe I'm remembering things differently, but I remember Revis having a good game against Randy Moss/Tom Brady (save for an absolutely ridiculous one handed, over the shoulder TD grab by Moss) and then just getting evicerated by DeAndre Hopkins/TJ friggin Yates to the tune of 7/115/2. Literally one week good and *poof* off to the abyss of the damned.

Probably remembering it wrong, but still.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

My theory is that Scrabble was never as good as the metrics indicated - he simply wasn't thrown to because the other 10 players on that Oakland D we're not even CFL-replacement level good. 

Maybe I'm remembering things differently, but I remember Revis having a good game against Randy Moss/Tom Brady (save for an absolutely ridiculous one handed, over the shoulder TD grab by Moss) and then just getting evicerated by DeAndre Hopkins/TJ friggin Yates to the tune of 7/115/2. Literally one week good and *poof* off to the abyss of the damned.

Probably remembering it wrong, but still.

What? The Moss one hand catch happened in 2010 when Hopkins wasn't even in the league. Revis was still very good in 2014 with the Patriots. His game started to slip off towards the end of 2015, when he was 30 years old. Like I said, not uncommon for corners to start tailing off in their 30s. 

If the case for Scrabble is true, then other corners with garbage surrounding casts would have done the same thing he did. But they didn't. And he got his reputation after having a dominant 2006 where he was thrown at.

CB is a fickle position. Once a bit quickness or long speed decline, then you see a pretty quick fall. 

54 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

What? The Moss one hand catch happened in 2010 when Hopkins wasn't even in the league. Revis was still very good in 2014 with the Patriots. His game started to slip off towards the end of 2015, when he was 30 years old. Like I said, not uncommon for corners to start tailing off in their 30s. 

I could have sworn that was in back-to-back weeks, but I'm probably mis-remembering it.

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I could have sworn that was in back-to-back weeks, but I'm probably mis-remembering it.

I mean Moss retired after the 2012 season and Hopkins got drafted in 2013. The game you are referring to happened in 2015....Only five years after the one handed catch and three years after Moss retired LOL. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean Moss retired after the 2012 season and Hopkins got drafted in 2013. The game you are referring to happened in 2015....Only five years after the one handed catch and three years after Moss retired LOL. 

At my age it all kind of blends together.

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

Not quite.  I see what you're getting at but there were other reasons for the drop off.  Nnamdi was as good as advertised in Oakland, the problem was that Philly didn't use him the way that they should have.  His speciality was man coverage and the Eagles were not a good fit for him whatsoever.  They had just fired Sean McDermott as their defensive coordinator, inexplicably promoted offensive line coach Juan Castillo to defensive coordinator, and they ran a lot of zone coverage.  Signing Nnamdi fixed a problem that didn't need to be fixed in the first place, and they wanted him to play a completely different style of covering instead of letting him just follow around the other teams' best receiver.  Look at how being in that situation affected DRC.  He was a Pro Bowler in Arizona, played well in his one season in Denver, and was a Pro Bowler and All-Pro with the Giants, yet when he went to the Eagles he looked like trash because they misused him too.  Those dream team eagles had a ton of talent and couldn't figure out how to find everyone's niche and use it to their advantage, and this couldn't have been more apparent than it was in the secondary 

It had less to do with age (despite the fact that he had just turned 30) and more to do with being completely in over his head in a defense that was falling apart that he was expected to help carry.  By the time the Eagles cut him and the 49ers gave him a chance, he was already over the hill

On 7/19/2018 at 11:06 AM, PapaShogun said:

But there are five years between now and the time Revis will eligible. Bailey will be in, but some of the other guys might still be on the docket when it's Revis' turn.

Woodson will be first ballot when he's eligible in 2021

Archived