Indians acquire Brad Hand

zelbell

42 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Thinking a 21 year old with a cannon arm, solid body for the position, and plenty of twitch can't be taught how to frame or call a game is silly. He has everything you can't teach, and the Indians had plenty of time to let him learn the rest of it. 

It's fine if you're okay trading him and you need the BP help. But this they didn't think he was a catcher argument needs to die.

I’m only telling you what is being said by people who watch him ?

28 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

I’m only telling you what is being said by people who watch him ?

1. It doesn't matter what the team is saying, they obviously are want this to look good.

2. Him not being hall of fame quality right now doesn't matter. He is a 2-way 22 year old catcher

3. Saying he has a problem with in game adjustments is a terrible reason to give up on him. He's young, he isn't supposed to be great at that yet. And that is something that your pitcher and pitching coach can compensate for. You can't compensate for bad offense from the catcher spot and you sure can't teach corner outfield offense to one.

Also this talk about team control of the relievers received needs to stop. Relievers are too volatile for team control to matter unless you think they can translate to a starter. There is a reason anyone with any sense doesn't give relievers long term contracts.

1 minute ago, mse326 said:

Also this talk about team control of the relievers received needs to stop. Relievers are too volatile for team control to matter unless you think they can translate to a starter. There is a reason anyone with any sense doesn't give relievers long term contracts.

It's funny seeing this trade for the Padres, because those were Dave Cameron's exact thoughts. When the rest of the internet was talking about how the Red Sox were able to buy low on Carson Smith back when he had tons of control, Cameron was talking about how sharply those years needed to be discounted.

3 minutes ago, mse326 said:

When it comes to smaller to mid markets, the control matters. For example the Indians now knowing whoWill be the closer next year will allow them to attack the off-season differently any Turman how they will spend their money I think and players under friendly control contracts is a positive

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

It’s fine if you fellow Tribe fans are good with trading Mejia, but he’s an elite catching prospect. I mean, you guys do realize that Buster Posey was a freaking shortstop at Florida State, right?

He played C and 1B, but also everywhere IIRC at FSU. I'm pretty sure he called games which never happens now (except for Bart) and rarely happened then.

5 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Lost Mejia. That’s steep. I’m honestly not thrilled. If it fixes their pen so that they can make a legit Series run then it will be worth it, but he’s my favorite prospect in a while, and great 2 way catching prospects are unicorns.

Well from the reports about how he has been stubborn about making The move to outfield, it changed the organization’s opinion about him. With how bad  The Indians outfield is  and he wasn’t getting called up, show something to me. I love a good prospect but I love trading good prospects for elite level pro players even more

16 minutes ago, mse326 said:

1. It doesn't matter what the team is saying, they obviously are want this to look good.

2. Him not being hall of fame quality right now doesn't matter. He is a 2-way 22 year old catcher

3. Saying he has a problem with in game adjustments is a terrible reason to give up on him. He's young, he isn't supposed to be great at that yet. And that is something that your pitcher and pitching coach can compensate for. You can't compensate for bad offense from the catcher spot and you sure can't teach corner outfield offense to one.

They were saying that WAY before the trade. 

You guys might be right he could turn out to be the best catcher ever. We’ll see. I’ve seen hundreds of can’t miss prospects never do anything in the bigs. I also remember hating the Frazier for Miller deal but that worked out for as we went to the World Series  And I believe Frazier is in the minors not contributing.

I do know as of right now Hand and Cimber help us win now. I can’t even begin to tell you how frustrating it has been for the starter to give up no runs and we end up loosing because the bull pen gets lit up. Plus Francona has had to leave the starters in to long because he doesn’t trust the bull pen. 

Again I hate to lose Mejia but as of right now we had to do it. 

4 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

Again I hate to lose Mejia but as of right now we had to do it. 

No you didn't. Hand was not the only reliever available. And there are maybe 3 or 4 relievers in the league actually worth a top 5 prospect. Hand isn't one of them.

And the trade needs to be evaluated on what value they have as assets, not what they ultimately become. Whether Mejia works out or not is irrelevant. And right now Mejia as an asset>>Brad Hand

13 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Well from the reports about how he has been stubborn about making The move to outfield, it changed the organization’s opinion about him. With how bad  The Indians outfield is  and he wasn’t getting called up, show something to me. I love a good prospect but I love trading good prospects for elite level pro players even more

I don’t fault him. He’s an elite catching prospect. We won’t agree here so I’m moving on.

Archived